PDA

View Full Version : Swine Flu - PLEASE READ!

nomorepanic
15-07-09, 22:49
We are getting so many posts about this that I have created a sub-forum under Health Anxiety for the threads.

PLEASE read these posts and add to them and do not start any new ones.

Thanks

The forum is here>>>>>

http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=87

nomorepanic
16-07-09, 20:07
Can we stop swine flu taking over NMP please.

This is NOT a swine flu forum and there are so many posts about it now that it is getting silly.

If you get it you can see doctor and get tamiflu, it is not as bad as the common flu that loads get.

Use hand wash to kill the bacteria

Stop worrying!

nomorepanic
16-07-09, 20:23
Here are a couple of swine flu specific forums:

http://www.talkswineflu.com/

http://www.medhelp.org/forums/Swine-Flu/show/356

martin1989
16-07-09, 20:37
i don't understand why people are panicing about swine flu,you all need to calm down,its normal flu with a new name,i am recovering from it right now and its no more than the flu,infact the flu takes more than 1000 people a year,this swine flu has taken 29 in a few months.

nomorepanic
16-07-09, 23:41
Please can people stop sending me nasty PM's telling me I CANNOT stop people posting about swine flu.

I never said that - I created a sub-forum and asked people to read the threads in there and stop creating new ones.

I do not think I deserve to be abused in PM's by members telling me "how dare I stop them posting about swine flu" and "who do I think I am" and "do I even suffer from anxiety".

If you want a balanced view then read this thread ...

Please read this thread before commenting further and do not attack me thanks

http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/showthread.php?t=53653

But please stop making me out to be so mean - I do not deserve that.

I run this site the best I can and with the help of all the admins we do a great job and do not deserve slagging off.

xBettyBoopx
17-07-09, 00:35
I would like to say that we don't get to pick & choose what we worry about. If that was the case, I wouldn't worry about anything.

Martin1989 - You are telling people on an anxiety/panic site to calm down!! Are you for real? I could tell you not to worry about your heart racing when you go to the loo, but I won't because that IS obviously something that is worrying/has worried you. It's called health anxiety Martin, you have it too, you just worry about different things to these people who are worrying about swine flu. Did you get any replies from your 'Heart racing when going to the loo' thread that told you to calm down? And if you did, how would you have felt? It's exactly the same thing! Think on before you say anything else daft like that!!

mila
17-07-09, 00:57
I would like to say that we don't get to pick & choose what we worry about. If that was the case, I wouldn't worry about anything.

Martin1989 - You are telling people on an anxiety/panic site to calm down!! Are you for real? I could tell you not to worry about your heart racing when you go to the loo, but I won't because that IS obviously something that is worrying/has worried you. It's called health anxiety Martin, you have it too, you just worry about different things to these people who are worrying about swine flu. Did you get any replies from your 'Heart racing when going to the loo' thread that told you to calm down? And if you did, how would you have felt? It's exactly the same thing! Think on before you say anything else daft like that!!

I couldn't agree more, Elspeth! Thanks for that.

Mystical
17-07-09, 01:10
Completely agree with NMP Nic; you UK people can get your help about this from either NHS direct by phone or on the net, and from next week a new number will be circulated regarding the World Health Org's action plan with a helpline number and our nearest source of help. However - and I stress this - public hysteria is common accompanying any outbreak of disease affecting the whole community so don't add to the panic by imagining you have an illness when it is just an additonal aspect of your anxiety folks. H1N1 is a fairly mild form of influenza unless you have heart or lung conditons or are diabetic; if in doubt consult your GP or ring 08456 4748 NHS direct to get advice. Usually no visits to the A&E are necessary; staying indoors and taking to your bed for a couple of days is the best way to get over the worst of the symptoms which are the same as any other bout of influenza.... Stay healthy.... Mystically yours Stu-uk

StandFree1903
17-07-09, 03:54
the swine flu is a load of tosh in a way.

I have health anxiety and managed (just) to go to the south of glasgow and paisley where it is most effected in scotland and guess what???

been a month now and i dont have it.......

really depends on your immune system, if ur about n got a cold ur more n likely to get it than if ur healthy.

I have learned from my social science's course that the media hypes things, we dont have to listen to the media 100% of the time.

the minute you show a symptom of the flu even if u think its normal flu get checked, if you dont then nothing to worry about :).

london
17-07-09, 03:59
nic dont stand for people being nasty to you in pm , you and others do a good job

eeyorelover
17-07-09, 05:12
No one is saying that being afraid of H1N1 is irrational or unwarranted all that has been said is that there is a new section devoted to the issue and that all further posts regarding H1N1 should be placed there.
It makes it easier on members who are posting and replying because they are easier to find and will therefore get more responses and it makes it easier for the admins because the threads aren't in every anxiety related section on the site.

Let's try to remember that all the admins and mods including Nic and Alex spend countless hours on this site voluntarily!

Verbally abusing the people who try to keep this site running smoothly not only is completely unwarranted but is also against the forum rules and is grounds for removal from the site!

If anyone has anything further that they wish to discuss please do so in a manner that follows the old adage "treat people the way you wish to be treated".
xxx
Sandy

russell
17-07-09, 06:40
i can't understand anyone abusing nicola and her helpers. it's a free site thats open to everyone and without people like nicola and her team where would we go for 24 hour help and advice.

Lisa-Angel
17-07-09, 08:48
There is absolutely no need for any abuse or nastey pm's. If anyone had a problem with what had been said i.e. to confine your swine flu concerns to a certain thread so that others can be heard about their anxiety problems, then why not just contact the mod and explain calmly what your concerns are? Why not discuss it like adults and let the people who kindly run this website make the decision as to what to do for the best? I really do hope people think better of it now and apologise, or even keep their horrible thoughts to themselves. This forum is about discussion and problem solving - not aggression.

mandie
17-07-09, 09:20
Hi

How nasty for some to be sending nasty pm's and abuse to Nic and admins.

They do a great job on here and loads of us would be lost without it

mandie x

bluesparkle
17-07-09, 09:37
nic :hugs:
i know its easy for me to say but please dont listen to the people who are giving you hassle.. you and the other admins do a wonderful job ...and are sufferers yourselves i think sometimes people forget that...
i know that with out this great site me and alot of others wouldnt be where we are now...
and i think a sub forum is good because i for one dont want to read about swine flu so we can just not go there and the ones that need to can use it.
i am sending you big hugs for all the work you do hun...
rach
x

Funky Mum
17-07-09, 10:47
Not to mention the cost of running such a site! I have a couple of vbulletin sites and it isn't cheap!
Member shouldn't take this site for granted!

Nic, that's unbelievable that some members have spoken to you like that! I for one am very grateful that this site exists and I think its the right thing to do - move all the SF posts to a section provided, afterall it'd make reading about it easier not having odd posts dotted around.

Some people should be ashamed of themselves!

((hugs))

Emira7
17-07-09, 11:09
Nic

I think you and the admin guys here do a stirling job, I did post about swine flu, but was trying to show how the media sensationlise.

This site has a fantastic community and I have made some great friends on here.

Big hugs

Emira

NoPoet
17-07-09, 11:42
Bloody swine flu, it's only been around for a few months, it has not done any significant damage to the human race and we're already at each other's throats about it!!

I've been saying since the beginning that there is too much doom and gloom about swine flu. This illness is not even that serious in nearly all cases. This situation has not changed. I bet more people die from TB in the UK this year than will ever die from swine flu!

Stop reading the news papers cos they are full of crap.

Dee01
17-07-09, 12:20
This is your site Nic, in my opinion, boot them off the site if they're going to be abusive or nasty. Thats ridiculous. There's plenty of info already up on the site for people to read about the dreaded swine flu (thats not all that bad!).

OK, Maybe people shouldn't be saying 'calm down', but I think the comments made by Elspeth about Martin1989 were cruel. Martin had a problem there was no thread up about. Not something that there was a million threads up on. Its very different. We're mostly all HA sufferers, but some topics have more info up then others. Remember your signature Elspeth.

Jaco45er
17-07-09, 12:23
I hope your chilled now Nic, take no notice lass :)

I have the ole HA, but funny enough this swine flu hasn't bothered me one bit.

Being male, I have had worse flu's ;). I had that flu once that makes a man bang on the bedroom floor demanding chicken soup

mick_uk
17-07-09, 12:29
Well said jaco, these women don't know what it's like to suffer with man flu....
We have to lay there and be fed grapes until we feel better and have out brow mopped with a damp cloth.
:noangel:

Jaco45er
17-07-09, 12:32
I know mate, women don't know they are born ;) (off to hide now)

mick_uk
17-07-09, 12:32
me too :ohmy:

suzy-sue
17-07-09, 12:34
Lmao Jaco and Mick:roflmao: and dont we women know it ,.It leaves us feeling flippin exhausted ..lol.Suex

mick_uk
17-07-09, 12:35
:roflmao:

gypsywomen
17-07-09, 12:36
nic dont take any notice ,,people should be gratefull for having wonderfull site like this for our condition you do great job you and your team love margaret:hugs:

Dee01
17-07-09, 12:39
Bloody Man FLu - I keep forgetting there's a worse disease then anything else out there!!!! LOL

Jaco45er
17-07-09, 12:45
Dee I don't want to start a riot, but you woudn't understand ;)

Us fellas have it tough you know, then we marry and wonder why we moaned before

Dee01
17-07-09, 12:47
hahahahahaha!!!!!!! Controversial Jaco!!!

bottleblond
17-07-09, 14:24
Lmfao Mick and Jaco.

Two words to you both....................CHILD BIRTH :roflmao:

xxx

mick_uk
17-07-09, 14:27
That's easy peasy....you try getting man flu Dizzy!
We can barely reach over and open the can of lager

Jaco45er
17-07-09, 14:32
Child Birth? Here Mick, Child Birth, let me explain what that's like mate.

You ever had mild toothache? ;)

yorkylover
17-07-09, 14:32
I was thinking the same think yesterday Nic,I came on and there were loads of threads on the swine flu.No one said we shouldnt worry ect,just keep it to one thread thats all.

And Nic certainly doesnt deserve any hassel:mad: she does an excellent job here.:hugs:

mick_uk
17-07-09, 14:33
Oh its dreadful!
and what about when you get a splinter :ohmy:

Jaco45er
17-07-09, 14:34
Mick, if a woman, had to listen to a woman talk all the time as soon as you walk through the door at night, they would know what real pain is ;)

mick_uk
17-07-09, 14:35

mick_uk
17-07-09, 14:37
I went to work with hiccups once...that's how brave us men are!

Helen1973
17-07-09, 14:58
Child Birth? Here Mick, Child Birth, let me explain what that's like mate.

You ever had mild toothache? ;)

That's fighting talk that is...*adopts boxing stance*

I think a seperate sub forum is an excellent idea for all concerned. I'm sorry that you suffered abuse from anyone, Nic! I agree that this site is a lifesaver (and one my therapist knew about before I mentioned it, btw):yesyes:

bottleblond
17-07-09, 15:10
Mick and Jaco

You both should have your own section of the forum you know because you just bring out the humour in people. :shrug:

Go on, get a post started under humour and cheer us all up!
Go on, you know you want to
Lmao!!
xxxxx

sarell
17-07-09, 16:33
if it wasnt for nic and the others we wouldnt have this site.

hoppipolla
17-07-09, 16:36
aww hehe! I'm sure we'll all be fine! ^_^

Besides as long as you've got a good immune system you're particularly well guarded! And the media always blow this stuff way out of proportion! :)

Funky Mum
17-07-09, 16:51
Lmfao Mick and Jaco.

Two words to you both....................CHILD BIRTH :roflmao:

xxx

Put a finger in each side of your mouth then pull apart hard....just a little idea for you men out there :yesyes:

Jaco45er
17-07-09, 16:52
See what you done Mick? man you're a troublemaker ;)

mick_uk
17-07-09, 16:57
Someone must have logged in using my nickname (cough) :whistles:

Jaco45er
17-07-09, 17:04
Mick, was you the chap who said women get married in white to match all the other kitchen appliances?

Jaco45er
17-07-09, 17:06
I have hi-jacked this thread enough now, I might start a new "why woman cause anxiety" thread and hand this one back ;)

Funky Mum
17-07-09, 17:33
Mick, was you the chap who said women get married in white to match all the other kitchen appliances?

mick_uk
17-07-09, 17:37
Jaco made me post those comments. I'm innocent honest :noangel:

lorac
17-07-09, 17:56
I believe you Mick lol

Carol

mick_uk
17-07-09, 17:57
:D

lesleya
17-07-09, 18:17
:roflmao: :roflmao: Jaco and mick...priceless you two.

nomorepanic
17-07-09, 22:00
I hope your chilled now Nic, take no notice lass :)

I was ok until I read that I have an attitude now :ohmy: on another post.

Oh well whatever.:doh:

Loved the banter on here between you and Mick though :D

aishaamina
17-07-09, 22:01
Hi,

To all that are worrying about swine flu, I won't tell you to calm down. BUT if you look at the facts and take a while to figure it out, then you'll see that this swine flu is rubbish.

When the government (any government) want to control a nation/population, they do it via health scare. They went into Iraq - what for? Weapons of Mass Destruction. BUT there were no weapons were there? They wanted to make everyone scared and think that Saddam could kill us all in an instant, so they got what they wanted, and anyone who stepped in their way like the poor guy who tried to expose them, supposedly killed himself in the forest which is now being investigate again because the way he died was not suicide (top doctors have said!).

So, then what do they do when the country is having a go at the government about the financial status of our country and are angry at the banks, and also the government? ALL OF A SUDDEN THIS THING CALLED SWINE FLU APPEARS. They KNOW that the only thing people care about more than money is their health or that of their parents/children etc.

Think about it........... have you ever in history heard of a doctor prescribing you medicine without officially diagnosing you? Most people have had normal cold or normal flu symptoms, but the doctor has given them Tamiflu. Why?

Think about it..................do you actually KNOW anyone in your immediate circle with swine flu? Since when can a virus from a swine infect humans and cause them to die? They even admit that SARS has been 'eradicated'. So if something is so catching then how can it be contained to a few countries and then be eradicated?

Just my two pence, but think deeper about things please.:bighug1:

Insomniac
17-07-09, 22:18
You guys all do such a great job. I don't know where I'd be without you and I'm sure many others feel the same.

Your message suggests that we join in on other threads on the same subject already started, which is good advice about any subject. You often find a similar thread/question/advice and might find you do not need to start another post but can contact people concerned about similar things. If nmp gets overloaded that is bad news for all of us.

I think sometimes they forget you are real person too with real concerns of your own and these criticisms do hurt. Keep going Nic, we love you all! xx :flowers:

ladybird64
17-07-09, 22:24
Hi,

To all that are worrying about swine flu, I won't tell you to calm down. BUT if you look at the facts and take a while to figure it out, then you'll see that this swine flu is rubbish.

When the government (any government) want to control a nation/population, they do it via health scare. They went into Iraq - what for? Weapons of Mass Destruction. BUT there were no weapons were there? They wanted to make everyone scared and think that Saddam could kill us all in an instant, so they got what they wanted, and anyone who stepped in their way like the poor guy who tried to expose them, supposedly killed himself in the forest which is now being investigate again because the way he died was not suicide (top doctors have said!).

So, then what do they do when the country is having a go at the government about the financial status of our country and are angry at the banks, and also the government? ALL OF A SUDDEN THIS THING CALLED SWINE FLU APPEARS. They KNOW that the only thing people care about more than money is their health or that of their parents/children etc.

Think about it........... have you ever in history heard of a doctor prescribing you medicine without officially diagnosing you? Most people have had normal cold or normal flu symptoms, but the doctor has given them Tamiflu. Why?

Think about it..................do you actually KNOW anyone in your immediate circle with swine flu? Since when can a virus from a swine infect humans and cause them to die? They even admit that SARS has been 'eradicated'. So if something is so catching then how can it be contained to a few countries and then be eradicated?

Just my two pence, but think deeper about things please.:bighug1:

Interesting post.

So, to sum it up, you believe it's government conspiracy and that this illness doesn't actually exist?

nomorepanic
17-07-09, 22:29
Thanks Lisa

I was trying to keep things under control but there at least another 4 new posts tonight so I failed lol.

I am not the only one feeling this way - a few others have said that they come on and all the posts are swine flu!

If people read the other threads they will see it is not that bad!

justbananas
18-07-09, 16:47
i totally understand not wanting the board to be inundated with swine flu only - however, IMO, it is a valid concern for HA sufferers and although i do not care about it at all - i personally do not find it annoying to have all the swine flu posts. and yes it isn't that bad - but i also know it's not that bad to have for example, a backache or heart palps, but there are about a million threads on that, usually repeats. usually completely benign things that drive people up the wall.

i dunno, i guess i just don't quite understand what all this back and forth is about regarding these threads. if it starts hindering the site traffic or organization i understand trying to maintain order by starting a subforum. so that's been done and that's great. i guess apart from that, can't people just post as they see fit, even if others may view their concerns as illogical or repetitive?

because really, in relation to the true nature of things and the outside world: aren't all of our concerns fairly illogical, relating to HA or not, when it comes to this community? i guess that's kind of why we all feel safe here, and free to express ourselves.

Jaco45er
18-07-09, 17:21
I was ok until I read that I have an attitude now :ohmy: on another post.

Oh well whatever.:doh:

You? attitude? your a lightweight Nic when it comes to attitude lass, catch me on a rant, now that's attitude ;)

Jaco45er
18-07-09, 17:22
I was going to say I called the swine flu hotline, but it was crackling.

Then I thought, na, I will get moaned at lol

Granny Primark
18-07-09, 17:47
aww jaco surely you can do better than that!!!!
Me hubby said hes had swine flu and it made him pig sick.

bottleblond
18-07-09, 18:32
Yes Jaco you are such a Boar!! :doh: Hehehe xxxx

nomorepanic
18-07-09, 18:41
but i also know it's not that bad to have for example, a backache or heart palps, but there are about a million threads on that, usually repeats. usually completely benign things that drive people up the wall.

But those conditions are more directly related to panic/anxiety and we will always have them posted on here.

It is not a swine flu forum, it is a panic/anxiety forum, that was the point I was just trying to make :shrug:

karmakitten
18-07-09, 19:09
good grief people!...of course eveyone is worried but it is indeed just another flu, people die every year from flu , the faster people see that this is all just hype from our wonderful governments and the media, the sooner everyone can go back to worrying bout your normal worries......and taking out your frustrations on the people who run this amazing site is just not on.....
both my daughter and i had the flu a few weeks ago, and here i am alive and kicking!!!! my friends son has it and noone else in her house does.....stay calm......and ignore the hype...your all very intelligent people!

nomorepanic
18-07-09, 19:28
Thanks for the support Karmakitten

agnes
18-07-09, 19:36
Yes Jaco you are such a Boar!! :doh: Hehehe xxxx

And I'm wondering if Jaco is trying to hog this thread!!

(stop groaning...it's the best I could do :blush: :doh: )

bottleblond
18-07-09, 19:46
PMSL that's hilarious!! lmao xxx

diane07
18-07-09, 19:50
oh is jaco being a boar again, he is sow always hogging the threads :roflmao:

bottleblond
18-07-09, 19:51
:roflmao::roflmao::roflmao:

nomorepanic
18-07-09, 19:53
This little piggy went to market
This little piggy stayed at home
this little piggy had roast beef
This little piggy had none
and this little piggy went "cough, sneeze" and the whole world's media went mad over the imminent destruction of the human race, and every journalist found out that they didn't have to do too much work if they just did "Find 'bird', replace with 'swine'" on all their saved articles from a year ago, er, all the way home.

bottleblond
18-07-09, 19:54
OMG :roflmao::roflmao::roflmao:

nomorepanic
I am bacon hot tonight as well

diane07
:roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao:

mick_uk
18-07-09, 19:55
they were telling porkies

nomorepanic
18-07-09, 19:56
Apparently the first symptom of Swine Flu is that you get the trotts

bottleblond
18-07-09, 19:57
No ain't it when you get a sty in your eye? :shrug:

nomorepanic
18-07-09, 19:57
I think I have swine flu: I've broken out in rashers

bottleblond
18-07-09, 19:59
:doh: pmsl we will be lynched you know!!! lol xxx

mick_uk
18-07-09, 20:00
nic started it :whistles:

bottleblond
18-07-09, 20:01
No it was Jaco!!! I saw him.... honest i did!! :unsure:

nomorepanic
18-07-09, 20:03
what it was ham? said in a scottish accent (him - ok very lame lol)

suzy-sue
18-07-09, 20:36
:roflmao: All these jokes are piggin awful , :lac: Sue

xBettyBoopx
18-07-09, 20:38
Oh my goodness, now we have jokes about it?! It is funny to some of you?? I would like to see you walk upto the parents of one of the children who have died from this & tell these jokes!! What's next, jokes about cancer? Geesh, what's happened here?!

bottleblond
18-07-09, 20:48
Els

You know what, people get shot down in flames on here for trying to make light of these matters to cheer people up and we get shot down for taking things to seriously.

Lisa

Jaco45er
18-07-09, 20:52
Elspeth

The reaction to this flu is an over-reaction, I have stated elsewhere it is a shame that people have died but the humour is nothing to do with that, just some lighthearted banter.

Now take your feckin righteous posts and choke on them

suzy-sue
18-07-09, 20:53
LAUGHTER IS THE BEST MEDICINE ,ITS NOT MEANT TO UPSET ANYONE.THERES BEEN ENOUGH BAD FEELING ALREADY ELSPETH, SORRY YOUVE TAKEN IT IN A BAD WAY . JUST TO LET YOU KNOW MY DAD HAS A VERY LOW IMMUNE SYSTEM AND HE WOULD BE VERY ILL IF HE GOT S/F IF NOT WORSE.BUT BLOWING THINGS OUT OF PROPORTION AND TAKING EVERY THING YOU SEE AND HEAR AS GOSPEL ISNT GOING TO STOP HIM FROM GETTING IT. NO ONE THINKS ITS FUNNY BUT SOMETIMES LIGHTENING UP HELPS YOU GET THROUGH THINGS... SUE

nomorepanic
18-07-09, 20:58
The jokes were not sick like some I have seen about MJ, for example, and I needed a laugh after the abuse I got over this whole flu thing.

Sorry you were offended - that was not the intention but funnily enough I wondered how long before we got such remarks.

We can't win really can we ?

mick_uk
18-07-09, 20:59
well, ive got swine flu and I wasn't offended, It helps me deal with it, saves me worrying......in fact i was eating some pork scratchings as i read it

lesleya
18-07-09, 21:01
Just lighthearted humour for some relief from a worrying subject and i dont think anyone is being disrespectful....im not offended..far from it.....lol mick
Got to smile :)

xxxxx

suzy-sue
18-07-09, 21:05
WE SHOULD ALL BE PIGGIN ASHAMED OF OURSELVES,SORRY ,IM JUST TROTTING OFF TO THE KITCHEN NOW TO HAVE A BACON SANDWICH. Sue

honeybee3939
18-07-09, 22:26
LOL - Its good to have some humour. My youngest daughter had the flu last week and today my eldest daughter as been diagnosed with it. Life goes on though and i must admit we have had a few jokes about it in our home too !:) . Better than been misreable isnt it:) .

Love
:hugs:
Andrea
xxxx

bottleblond
18-07-09, 23:01
Andy

Bless you for taking this so well! it honestly was to cheer people up!!
Can i get you some oinkment for that flu mate???

Love lisa
Lol
xxxx

agnes
18-07-09, 23:06
Oh my goodness, now we have jokes about it?! It is funny to some of you?? I would like to see you walk upto the parents of one of the children who have died from this & tell these jokes!! What's next, jokes about cancer? Geesh, what's happened here?!

Elspeth, I work in the NHS with a very caring and compassionate group of people. If one of us sneezes or coughs, another will make an oink sound or offer some other similar banter. It goes without saying that not one of us would make this sort of comment in front of a patient be it about flu, cancer or any other illness. But humour is one of the many coping strategies we all use in difficult circumstances.

I suffer from panic attacks and chronic anxiety. And there are times, when I'm not in the midst of a panic, that I can actually laugh at myself and my anxiety. My adult children know this and they join in. It's a tonic, truly it is.

honeybee3939
18-07-09, 23:09
LOL Lisa ! :roflmao:

Im a big believer that laughing and smiling is the best medication there is mate! My girls have felt rough but still managed a joke !

Im just hoping i dont get it now got a pub appointment on Tuesday:winks:

Love
:hugs:
Andrea
xxxx

bottleblond
18-07-09, 23:16
Theia and Andy :hugs:

This is exactly what we meant.... If me of my lad got it tomorrow i would still joke as it does ease the the preasure!!

Thanks for that gals

Lisa
xxxxxxxxx

suzy-sue
18-07-09, 23:30
When my Mum had Bowel Cancer and had a colostomy bag ,My Brother said when she got bored she could put it under her arm and play it like a bag pipe,lol.It was a terrible time for us all and most of all for my Mum, But it even made her laugh. It wasnt meant to be insensitive or to cause upset ,
It was taken in the spirit it was given in. Humour is sometimes all we have to brighten even the darkest of times.
Sue x

nomorepanic
18-07-09, 23:38
Sue - this reminds me of an incident I had in hospital.

I had a bag that was draining my abcesses and my family took me downstairs in as wheelchair and we nearly rang over my bag with the wheelchair - ouch that would have hurt

suzy-sue
18-07-09, 23:40
OOUCH! It would have made a mess too .lol You would have needed a swill down .
Sue x

eeyorelover
19-07-09, 01:33
My mother has pigs on her farm and she swears that since the flu started they have become a little more aggressive!
Anyone read the book Animal Farm??
Scary stuff!
Soon they will be demanding better food, equal rights for pig kind or they will infect us all!
They are like cute little terrorists!
"Give in to our demands or we'll sneeze on you!"
;)
LOL

justbananas
19-07-09, 04:12
i mean, the jokes don't bother me - i guess i just don't understand why everyone is making such a big deal about people posting about swine flu on here. i really had no idea that some topics/forms of panic and anxiety were more 'noble' than others somehow. anyway, i don't want to get into an argument about it. as i said i'm not worried about the flu so i don't feel very moved by all this, but i'm sure there are some members who do. just sayin ..

BLUEROSE1981
19-07-09, 04:24
nic dont stand for people being nasty to you in pm , you and others do a good job

i agree you all need to stop being nasty, she was not nasty to you

Meewah
19-07-09, 15:50
Excellent - Laughter the best medicine!!!!

Anyone got any Pig jokes??

Oh crikey I'm at it myself now....

Phil did you recover from Man Flu???

If so can you put a post under "survivors" under the swine flu sub forum just so we get at least one survivor.

Mee:D

NoPoet
19-07-09, 17:03
I feel like I've got a cold coming on. Am I worried that it is swine flu? A little bit, of course I am, but come on, flu sucks whatever strain it is. Swine flu is not fatal or even serious in the vast, vast majority of cases... imagine Wembley stadium if the World Cup final came down to England versus Germany... imagine that number of people who would turn up. If all of them had swine flu, mabe one would die of it.

pink daisy
20-07-09, 10:32
One of my staff have Swine flu.. so I may have it soon also..
I know lots of people are worried about it maybe cos of health anxiety, It isnt anymore serious than the normal flu. The only reason that there are jokes about this swine flu is because of the name so guys who are offended please dont be :-)

maybe if you do get upset over this subject maybe its best not to read this thread!!

I must admit I thought jacos words now fecking choke on your posts were a bit harsh say the least.. but everyone has a diffrent sence of humour hey :-)

kate xx

Jaco45er
20-07-09, 10:56
Yer point taken Pink, probably was a little harsh.

However I don't like that holier than thou attitude and someone trying to put me down like that when it ws never meant in that context.

But yip, was harsh, so I apologise

Jaco

smiley
20-07-09, 13:13
Well i just needed to make a point after reading these posts ....
Nic whoever was slagging you off doesnt know you or in my eyes deserve to know you ,the hours that you guys put in on here deserves a large commendation and u deserve a medal for all that you put up with.
Jaco and Mick your hilarious banter has just turned what was possibly a disastrous day into the best laff i have had in ages fab guys keep up the good work at the end of the day laughing has been proven to be a fantastic cure for every known illness and by god ive done that in the last half hour.....even if jaco deems to be the best cook in gb his jokes aint bad either ;)
And as for the Swine Flu well....
What a load of old pork scratching, trotting,pigs ears load of old media hyped nonsense

StandFree1903
20-07-09, 13:32
my mate told me he had the pig might fly flu :|........... but............ swine flu is a hog... normal flu is 10 times worsey :(.

just watched the news, kinda cheesed tht englands gettin a wee helpline n no scotland :\. i knw we have lots of pig farms but come on lol.....

purplehaze
20-07-09, 20:24
When my mum was dying of cancer we all made jokes around her. Sure it sucks as and when they die but humour is best med. Drs, Nurses and others that are in the care profession have the sickest humour on this planet...Why? Coz it helps them cope!!!

my mate Azid says he has no chance of catching it coz as a Muslim he dont touch pigs...had me rolling:-)

Jaco old chap lets not wish this on castle gray skull lol

lorac
21-07-09, 11:41
I think Tetley has made some good points in her post and have to agree with her, humour is very good for recovery and for making light of a worrying situation.

We must all remember that without Nic we would not have this wonderful site where we can all come and talk about the things that worry us and I for one think she does a wonderful job and thank her for that.

Carol x

maddie
21-07-09, 11:50
All my family have been confirmed with swine flu. I've had it 4 days now. Due to taking Lithium, I cannot have Tamilflu as my doctor said that the two don't mix well. I have been in bed taking paracetamol 4 hourly and as much water as I could drink . Ice pops have helped soothe my throat. Today my temperature has broken and I feel better. I started with a sore throat and earache, then my temp. rose and I started to ache all over. Just like any flu. My appetite is back today and I am up out of bed.

My partner, daughter and her boyfriend are all taking Tamiflu, but don't seem to be getting better any faster than me. We all had the same symptoms, but my partner's chest is tight. My 6 month old grandson has no more than a severe cold. He's very snuffly, but still wants to eat and play. My partner has underlying health issues and we were, of course, worried about the baby. Both are coming through fine.

I have had panic attacks, especially on waking. I knew they were because I was ill, so I was able to ride them through. I think anyone who comes down with it must expect that their anxieties will be worse, but we all know that fear feeds them. Don't fear the swine flu and ignore the panic. Not easy, but it's the quickest way through it and it works. I am a severe anxiety sufferer and I know!

We have had people delivering things to our porch and have phoned people. We have shared in all the jokes "have you got a curly tail yet?" etc. It might sound flippant, but humour has helped us. There's no point feeling sorry for ourselves, that just will not help us recover quickly.

Hope my experiences will help others. Please don't criticise the mods, especially nic. They are trying to keep a balance on what is happening. Panic and sensationalisation won't help us.

doodah
21-07-09, 13:46
What a great post maddie - thanks for letting us know how the flu has affected you. I'm not overly panicking about getting it until I start hearing the rubbish on the TV - grrr!!

Hope you and your family are back to 100% health very soon.

Wendy :hugs: <---- oooops! will I get the flu now?:blush:

bottleblond
21-07-09, 15:25
Maddie :hugs:

It is bad enough when one person is effected so with you all being poorly must be very difficult.

I hope you all make a very speedy recovery and sending a massive hug to you gal.

Love Lisa
xx

:bighug1:

ElizabethJane
21-07-09, 16:13
I'm only replying to a thread here and not starting a new one! A question for Maddie: how does Tamiflu affect the absorbtion of lithium? I am on lithium too 1,000mg I am very interested as to why you cannot take Tamiflu whilst being on it? I hope you feel better soon. Well done for being so brave.

hoppipolla
21-07-09, 19:04
Heres something that made me feel better - according to wikipedia, out of every 1000 cases only 40 even need to go to hospital, and only one dies. So yeah its about the same as normal flu!

I wanna avoid getting it, but if I do I just plan to drink my body's weight in OJ (dont worry Im exaggerating lol) and get the antibiotic things from the doctor!

maddie
21-07-09, 19:26
I'm only replying to a thread here and not starting a new one! A question for Maddie: how does Tamiflu affect the absorbtion of lithium? I am on lithium too 1,000mg I am very interested as to why you cannot take Tamiflu whilst being on it? I hope you feel better soon. Well done for being so brave.

My doctor said that I could have Tamiflu, but there was a slight risk of liver problems if I did, so I chose not to. Tamiflu does not kill the virus, it helps with the symptoms. From my experience versus the rest of the family, I would not say that they have greatly benefited from taking it. Bed rest, paracetamol and plenty of water seems to be just as effective. Do check with your own GP if in doubt - all our medical histories are different.

A friend who lives in a small village has swine flu. A reporter from the local paper actually knocked on his door to ask how bad he was. They have printed a story of the worst case only. I think it is noticeable how every TV report is now emphasising that swine flu is no worse than any flu. Ignore the scaremongers!

Please could we continue this through the special swine flu thread Nic has created. Thanks!

ElizabethJane
22-07-09, 07:42
I have done nothing wrong!

Mystical
23-07-09, 04:15
Glad to see that the hype surrounding the condition has been overcome by medical information from the most reliable of sources; the WHO has been sampling influenza virus's of all kinds with the intention of subduing the inevitable spread of a global pandemic. Last year we thought it would be Avian flu spread by contact with chickens, especially in Southern Asia where they are allowed to part of the homestead. Now we have 'swine flu' which was centred on Mexico, but the actual incubation area cannot be actually defined, since it has appeared in different parts of the world in the same time period - the only difference is that in the UK it is midsummer and this gives much of the populace time for their immune systems to become stronger to deal with any wider epidemic in the Autumn months, tho it has to be remembered that many people die quite naturally at this time of our year, i.e. prior to the onset of winter. So agreed, let's keep the thread but miss out on the hysteria that accompanies the spread of any disease of this nature..... Stay well people.....Mystically yours... Stu-UK xxxx

sal
02-08-09, 22:43
good reply hun Its an anthother illness to add to the list of suffers and it obvious now that it is not actually dangerous to the healthy individual.
it is less than flu and only people that are suffering from major illness that it will hit harder and that is none of us as we are suffing mental illnesses not physical xxxxx

Mystical
03-08-09, 00:50
Sal,
Just taking what is being said by the WHO and the lab where Prof Hugh Pennington - the foremost epidemiologist working within the NHS - have to report; as to those at risk - the usually vulnerable ppl with heart and repsiratory problems or diabetes,etc.... also the very young and pregnant women - otherwise it seems the mass populace don't have to be alarmed; the 'crunch' if it comes, will enter in with the coming of the usual 'influenza season - i.e. Oct to Mar, and by then most ppl will have been given their winter injection; this does not mean that any symptoms lasting more than a few days should be ignored; advice is available from NHS direct on the web or over the phone and the Tamifloo anti-virals are ready at the NHS collection points throughout England and Wales - can't speak for Scotland or Ireland, but sure they have their own set-ups in place now. Again thanks for supporting my response, Sal. Mystically yours.... Stu-UKxx

Frenchmaid
05-10-09, 19:34
I am just wondering.... are you guy's are getting vaccinated... here in Canada there is a lots of people who won't the vaccine in Canada is different to the State supposely!!!

stocky
04-11-09, 17:29
Your so right hit the nail on the head the government need to give more resourses and funds into the health industry especially mental health. dont get me wrong im going through hell at the moment and the health profession are doing all they can to help people like me us but if the government got their heads screwed on and got out of the war head minds and poverty as this country and the world is comming to with the ressesion and focus more on mental health then we wouldnt be cooped up in all of this dont get me wrong the NHS are doing all they can but that isnt enough the government need to do more to support people like us we i as being part of the mental health system!

Billy Hunt

the swine flu is a load of tosh in a way.

I have health anxiety and managed (just) to go to the south of glasgow and paisley where it is most effected in scotland and guess what???

been a month now and i dont have it.......

really depends on your immune system, if ur about n got a cold ur more n likely to get it than if ur healthy.

I have learned from my social science's course that the media hypes things, we dont have to listen to the media 100% of the time.

the minute you show a symptom of the flu even if u think its normal flu get checked, if you dont then nothing to worry about :).

gypsywomen
04-11-09, 18:21
you do a great job nic i agree with everything you said

Mystical
05-11-09, 00:32
Please be assured: Funding for the possible increase in so-called 'Swine Flu' cases over the Autumn/Winter period of 2009/10 is not compromising that being put into Mental Health; it is a separate issue and being treated in the UK as such; I cannot speak for other coutries - only my own.

The advice remains the same.... the mildest cases affecting those vulnerable but not within the risk groups will feel the same symptoms as with any winter 'flu' virus; advice is plenty of fluids and paracetamol works best to regulate temperature..... Expect to feel the effects for 7-10 working days.... Do not expose others to the risks so arrange for neighbours and if you have them - other family members to do essential shopping for you. If you feel that your symptoms are not responding go to the Tamifloo collection points - NHS direct - not your own surgery are arranging for these collections so don't worry about batttering down the doors of your surgery. Already the New Vaccine is being delivered to front line NHS staff and GP's... those in risk groups including the young and old and pregnant mothers will be prioritised next. Please prevent this expected flu issue from getting out of hand. There are widely differing views as to the source of this 'flu' - lots are controversy theories and scary as this might seem - some people enjoy the mass hysteria spreding such rumours creates. All I ask and I repeat - All that I ask is that you keep a sense of proportion about the 'flu' issue this Autumn and Winter.... Yes, it will take lives but so will pneumonia, heart disease, asthma and other health conditions that people are more susceptible to in cold temperatures.

Just as you would take precaustions when travelling, take the jab if offered for added immunity protection. I will keep NMP ppl aware of the situation as it is - ongoing - if there are major changes.. the majority of you will know via the media or via the internet..... Last of all, do not let the fears of influenza stop you enjoying the build-up to a Happy and Healthy Holdiday season..... Mystically Yours Stu_UK Nottingham. :welcome: to a less fearful Autumn 2009 :)

martinpaul12
30-11-09, 09:30
Useful tips about the Flu
1.The rewards of eating 5 or more fruits and vegetables daily are worth the effort, proven to be strong weapons to fight the forces of flu and colds.
2.Keep tissues handy for coughs and sneezes. Then dispose of tissues in a "no-touch" container. This is a container that is emptied without touching the contents.
3.Cough or sneeze into your elbow or arm NOT your hands, and teach children to do the same. Droplets from coughing or sneezing can contain viruses that can cause other people to become sick. If you cough or sneeze into your hands, everything that you touch with your hands may expose others if they come in contact with those same surfaces.
4.Clean children's toys frequently to cut down on the number of germs, especially toys that can be put in the mouth.
5.If you are sick with a cold or flu, stay home and away from other people if possible. You will prevent the spread of your illness to others and also protect yourself from the more serious side effects of the flu or colds.
6.Don't stack coats in the workplace, childcare facilities, or other public areas. Stacking of coats can pass on cold or flu germs as well as ringworm and lice.
7.In the workplace, avoid sharing common items such as phones and computer keyboards. If you have to share, then wash your hands frequently and avoid touching your eyes, nose, or mouth.
8.Enclosed areas should be ventilated periodically to get rid of germs in the air. Consider opening a window in your home in a room that is not occupied to let some fresh air in.
9.Wash your hands frequently throughout the day. Always remember to turn off faucets with a paper towel. Teach your children the same healthy habits.
10.Caution! Flu germs found lurking under the mistletoe. If you have a cold or the flu, stay away. If you are healthy, consider yourself warned.
11.Bring a hand sanitizer to work with you and use it periodically, especially if you have a cold. You may want to apply a hand moisturizer or lotion to combat dryness of your hands.