PDA

View Full Version : FAst Heart Rate

countrygirl
16-07-09, 19:07
I was due to have a gastroscopy this afternoon but as soon as the nurse produced the blood pressure machine I could feel my heart rate shoot up unbelievably - it was between 135-142. My blood pressure was okay. The clinic were running an hour late and the longer I waited the worse I got. The more they took my pulse the faster it went - I was a wreck.
Eventually a Dr came and said that he didn't think I needed the gastroscopy as I had had one episode of what I thought was blood in acid sickness when I ate something my hiatus hernia disliked but no other symptoms before or after and he said as it was dark reddish/purple it may not even have been blood so he said it was silly to put me through it when he didn't think I needed it - he said the acid sick could have caused a small tear in my oesophagus but obviously it was now fine - I have never admitted that I made myself retch horribly before I was sick to get rid of the acid:blush:

I have had quite a few hospital appts recently for many things and everytime they take my pulse its in the 130's - in the past it has not got above 125 so today was worrying.

the Dr told me to go home - take some diazepam and see if it returned to normal - he said if by late evening it was still as bad to come to a&e although he said at 142 bpm it was not dangerous but not something you wanted to have for days on end!

It started to reduce a bit after a couple of hours away from hospital and after I took 4mg diazepam it is back to my normal 80-90bpm.
Dr said I should see my GP in case I am getting fast heartrate alot during the day. I have had a 24hr ecg 6 times in past 15 yrs because of ectopics and always told same harmless ectopics and episodes of tachycardia.

My Dr did ask if I wanted to try a low dose beta blocker to try and counteract the anxiety that causes my heart to race but I hate taking tablets - I get worse anxiety!!!!!!!!!

OH the hospital did do an ecg before I left and although my heartrate was fast 140 bpm they said it was perfectly normal - the Dr said he would only be bothered if it had showed atrial fib which it didn't.

Does anyone else suffer from this and has anyone tried beta blockers etc?

House fan
16-07-09, 19:52
Hi Country

Beta blockers will cure you of your fast heartrate in a few hours. I am amazed that you put yourself through such unecessary anguish, when one pill a day will improve your life dramatically.

There is nothing organically wrong with your heart, and 130-140 bpm is not that fast. Your heart is a magnificent organ that could take over 200 bpm for many days without any signs of injury. If you were running for a bus, or were on the treadmill at the gym, you would think nothing of your heart having to beat so 'fast', in fact it would have to reach these levels if you were to get any benefit from the treadmill!

Believe me, a heartrate of 120-130 is no threat to life or health, and will not lead to catastrophe. Your anxiety is causing your heart to beat faster than you are comfortable with, but with this comes 'looking within' and you will naturally focus more time than you should on your heart. I can just see you now pacing up and down the floor, fingers hovering over your pulse, at least 50 times a day..... and for what?

I strongly suggest that you try a beta blocker, and I guarantee you that within 12 hours, you will not have a racing heart anymore. These are incredibly safe drugs, they will not cause any discomfort, and more importantly, will give you your life back.

Hope this helps a bit.

House.

countrygirl
16-07-09, 20:01
Wow thanks house you have really really helped. YOu are so right about the looking within - the more you feel your heart racing the faster it goes. Now I am back home have calmed down and the diazepam has got through my heartrate is 60-70bpm totally normal.

I did read that beta blockers can make you more prone to dangerous arythmias???? I know they can trigger asthma and as I had this as a child I have always been wary of taking them but I think I should at least give them a try and see.

Your info on my fast heart rate not being dangerous has helped - thanks