PDA

View Full Version : Have my children had swine flu?

Lissy43
16-07-09, 19:57
I saw the GP today because my daughter has been having a few headaches and a low grade fever. The GP said to me that he thinks my 3 children have had swine flu, they all had high temps, stomach pains, lower back pain and very bad headaches before we went away to Spain 2 weeks ago. He thinks my daughter has just had it the worst and is shaking it off still. She had a fever of almost 40 degrees one night and the boys were between 38-39.

We saw my father in law on the saturday, one of my kids had a slight temp when we returned home from visiting him, then they all came down with it. My father in law rung me last night and said he has swine flu, he started with it a week after seeing us, so could it be that my children have had swine flu? my GP seems to think so.

My husband and I are fine though??

nomorepanic
16-07-09, 20:02
If they had and are ok why worry - it is all over with now.

mummyto4
16-07-09, 20:42
I would say yes they probably have to be honest. As Nic said, if they have and the dr says they probably have too, then you can rest easy.

Lissy43
16-07-09, 20:44
I am not worried, I just thought they would have had proper flu symptoms such as a cough and cold but they didn't. The main symptom was a very bad headache and aches, aswell as the fever.

nomorepanic
16-07-09, 21:02
See - it isn't that bad lol

jodie
17-07-09, 07:01
hiya aimee

my little girl has been ill with a cold and when i called our doctors he said i could go get the tamiflu pills if i wanted them as what she had was maybe swine flu ,by the next day she was better so i didnt get them ,my feeling is she just had a cold .
i do understand why people are stressed about this swine flu ,its something we have not had to deal with before and i guess ppl with anx do worry about things like swine flu as we dont know enough about it if u get me.
best thing to do is keep an eye on your kids if they take ill again see your gp .

jodie xxx

redballoons
17-07-09, 07:26
hi it does sound like they had it i am glad they are better- at least you wont need to worry about it in the future when it is more widespread!
I am not so worried about my two girls getting it (they are 5 months and 4 years old) but I am more worried about my son having it just because he has had problems since he was born with chest problems MOSTLY the fact that everytime he gets even a cold it turns straight into a chest infection - he has been rushed to hospital twice because he hasnt been breathing properly - I worry about most diseases which might affect him lungs.
I have never been given and answer other than he was a few weeks early (35 weeks) which surely wouldnt matter now hes 2!

I am glad to see it was minor for your little ones hopefully if he gets it (which he probably will now I have it - majorly guilty mummy) I hope it is just minor for him too and doesnt go to his chest

sophie

JonH
17-07-09, 11:35
I have 3 girls, 5,3 and 1.

Eldest complained of a headache last Friday, her temperature went up to 40degrees on Friday night. In the week that followed both my eldest and my middle girl had headaches, belly ache, slept most of the day, very high temperatures. My youngest had a high temperature and was vomiting a lot.

When I phoned NHS direct to query the flu they asked if we knew of anyone who had had it, we didn't. They then said that in that case it couldn't possibly be swine flu.
Doctor said the same.
Informed that eldest should be safe to go to school, school agreed.
Told to give calpol and strip them off, that was all.
After a week everyone is ok, just have very bad coughs.

And then.....
Guess who got a letter home from the school saying that the class has confirmed cases of swine flu??

Helen1973
17-07-09, 15:09
hi it does sound like they had it i am glad they are better- at least you wont need to worry about it in the future when it is more widespread!
I am not so worried about my two girls getting it (they are 5 months and 4 years old) but I am more worried about my son having it just because he has had problems since he was born with chest problems MOSTLY the fact that everytime he gets even a cold it turns straight into a chest infection - he has been rushed to hospital twice because he hasnt been breathing properly - I worry about most diseases which might affect him lungs.
I have never been given and answer other than he was a few weeks early (35 weeks) which surely wouldnt matter now hes 2!

I am glad to see it was minor for your little ones hopefully if he gets it (which he probably will now I have it - majorly guilty mummy) I hope it is just minor for him too and doesnt go to his chest

sophie

Hi Sophie

My youngest was born early and went through a terrible time with colds going on his chest, we were frantic every time he got a cold and the GP refused to give him an antibiotic and insisted it was asthma. In the end my husband and I both insisted (and threatened to order some AB's online) that we be given an AB for him and he's been fine since (he was four then and he's eight now). Kids can go through such horrible trouble while their immune systems are developing some muscles. We found that an Actimel a day worked wonders to boost his immune system.:hugs:

I hope you feel better very, very soon!

Lissy43
17-07-09, 21:15
Thanks,

Maybe they have, maybe they haven't. They all had high temps, the boys were almost 39 and my daughters was touching 40 bless her. They had the most awful headaches and stomach pains with it. My daughter seems fine now, her problem was that the virus flared her ear up and she has ear problems with any cold/virus she gets.

LisaLisa
20-07-09, 15:34
Hi Aimee

Just to say that one of my friends had it two weeks ago and she did say that she had the most horrible stomach pains for the first few days and then the really high temperature with sweating. Its sounds an awfull lot similar to what your little ones have had. Also although she had it neither her husband or her five year old caught it. If they have had it then at least thats it out of the way for them.

Hope your coping okay
Lisa
xxx

countrygirl
20-07-09, 19:00
Rather than starting a new thread as requested I am adding to this one.
I am wondering if my husband and I have/had this but not quite fitting the picture. Husband is very stoical and never complains and will carry on even if he feels really ill and last 2 days he obviously wasn't well - he said he had strange head with neck ache - feeling as if head would explode and very wobbly/dizzy off balance and he had very achy lower back and legs and felt totally wiped out - he is much better today but not right. He didn't hasn't had a temp but he did say he would feel very hot if he moved around and then chilly when he stopped.
Late last night I suddenly felt ill with intense feeling of pressure in head and face like my neck and head are in a vice - very wobbly and off balance and feel like body is lead and also have awful aching lower back and legs and again the hot when doing anything then chilly when not but taken my temp a few times and its perfectly normal. My husband did not tell me his symptoms until tolday so can't say I knew what he felt like other than he said he was not well and dizzy yesterday.
Could this be swine flu??? I would have expected a high temp and the usual unbelievalbe aches that I have had befoe with normal flu???

Lissy43
20-07-09, 19:36
Thanks Lisa,

Was your friend tested to confirm it was swine flu?

My children all had an achy lower back and high temps countrygirl. You would have a fever with it im sure.