PDA

View Full Version : uni

rois
19-09-05, 10:54
hi guys, it's me again. I went to enrol for my second year at uni on Friday and suffered an attack cos these two guys were talking to the girl in front of me and I was afraid they'd start talking to me (how sad) I didn't have the best 1st year as I couldn't sit through tutorials most times and either left the room or didn't turn up, thankfully I passed my 1st year but even turning up to one of the exams I had major attacks and I had to sit with my dad in the car til 5mins before the exam started. I guess I'm afraid of the same thing happening this year cos I can already feel the anxiety building up inside me. Has anyone got any advice, I took rescue remedy on Friday but it didn't work as well as usual.

"You die if you worry and you die if you don't"

mirry
19-09-05, 11:22
Hi Rois,

You say you have sat outside with your dad in the car before and i can understand why you have done that but feel what you need to do is to sit in the room of the place you fear.
for example:
arrive 15 mins early and sit in the room anywhere you feel comfortable and just watch everyone coming and going.......you may actually start to feel bored and as people turn up one or two at a time it slowly builds you up for your day ahead without a room full of people chattering.

I use this method and it actually has helped me .

mirryx

desperate
19-09-05, 12:06
Hi rois,

You post really struck a chord with me.

I have just finished uni and suffered terribly whilst there. I started avoiding things or i'd just sit there feeling awful. But I guess in time and with th help of beta blockers for a month it dd get better.

A tip for exams: if you go to your Student Support office and tell them how you suffer they may give u consideration. I got put in a smaller room and also given pen down time, so if i needed to i could go out and the time would be added on at the end. It really took the pressure off me.

Good luck,

First Anxiety...then panic attacks...now GAD and depression

rois
19-09-05, 14:22
thanx guys, I guess I should go to the student support office cos Ican get kicked out for missing too many tutorials and this year'll be worse cos we have to do presentatoins and stuff and the classes will have less people in them, it's not as bad if there are a lot of talkative people in the class as they distract attention away from me (or so it seems in my head!) I arrived for the last exam half an hour before it started but I felt physically sick and was crying and stuff and just didn't think I could leave the car, don't know if you can relate with this but I couldn't imagine myself sitting doing the exam- it's a bit weird. I'll try the 15 minute thing even with lectures if I can Thanx 4 the advice it's good to know I'm not alone

Meg
19-09-05, 21:53
Have you had any help with this Rois ?

CBT / counselling wise - that may help to get to the bottom of it all.

Meg
www.anxietymanagementltd.com

Your anxiety is the human representation of the pictures that you paint using your many vivid colours of revolving and reoccurring thoughts.
How big is your gallery ?

rois
19-09-05, 23:23
I haven't meg, do I need to go through my doc for that? He hasn't suggested it he just keeps giving me betablockers so I don't bother going to him and just phone for the prescriptions now. Do you think counselling would help?I don't know if it would but I suppose it would be worth a try

Meg
20-09-05, 14:34
Yes CBT may well help to improve things.

Look on our therapy pages for contact for privatre therapists or your GP for a waiting list - you can print off the NICE guidelines and wave them at him if he is resistant - also on our therapy pages

Meg
www.anxietymanagementltd.com

Your anxiety is the human representation of the pictures that you paint using your many vivid colours of revolving and reoccurring thoughts.
How big is your gallery ?

desperate
20-09-05, 16:05
There is prob counselling free at your uni too rois.

First Anxiety...then panic attacks...now GAD and depression

Cinders4
20-09-05, 16:28
Hey... I think you are really strong for reapplying this year. This must mean you are determined to beat this, therefore with the support of your family friends and this site, Im sure you will.

Good luck x

Piglet
20-09-05, 17:41
Aww good luck Rois you certainly are not on your own mate.

Look into the counselling and perhaps let student support know, then they will understand if you have to miss odd tutorials.

Best of luck!!!

Love Piglet xx

"Supposing a tree fell down, Pooh, when we were underneath it?" said Piglet.
"Supposing it didn't," said Pooh after careful thought.

rois
20-09-05, 18:55
thanx everyone, you're all stars it's good to know there is so much support on the forum.

tulip123
20-09-05, 21:32
Hi.

I had major problems when I went to college. I couldn't stay in the same room with other students and if I did, I would have very bad panic attacks. I walked out of numerous exams in front of lots of people and failed them to start with. It was more to do with claustophobia and excessive unconfidence in myself. And so I decided to leave college.

But just as things couldn't get worse, I had help from the hospital, I was given special consideration and had lectures and notes sent home and when it came to exams I had a room of my own where I could walk around a bit if I wanted to and escape the desk. My dad was allowed to sit in the next room. In the end things got better and I was able to pass my exams and so by the third year I was able to train myself to sit through seminars and lectures. I got my degree as normal but I never went into an exam hall again. I just don't like situations where it is hard to escape but I'm glad I stuck it out.

tulip