PDA

View Full Version : Work and swine flu

lesleya
17-07-09, 08:36
I just wondered what everyone elses company policy is on swine flu?
I work for the nhs and have been told unless you have the fever then you have to come to work?
Thanks
xx

mick_uk
17-07-09, 09:00
That doesn't sound like good advice to me lesley.
i spoke to my surgery nurse on the phone this morning (about ten minutes ago) and she said that in a few days you will be able to get diagnosed for swine flu over the phone and given a voucher number for your tamiflu to pick up at at he nearest centre

lesleya
17-07-09, 09:05
Yes mick thats what i thought too i honestly am gobsmacked by my ops manager this morning, he more or less called me a liar and thought i should be at work.
Our surgery are already giving out a voucher number if the dr thinks you have swine flu.
My son rang his gp the other day as he was feeling ropey and his gp told him he didnt think he had it but he could have the tamiflu if he wanted it?
Makes me wonder!

mick_uk
17-07-09, 09:13
I think that's the problem lesley, everyone seems to be getting different advice on what to do.
My doc told me NOT to go out or contact anyone unless really necessary, other people are being told it's okay to mix until you definitely know you have it!
There should be one set of rules across the board for everyone.

lesleya
17-07-09, 09:33
Totally agree mick.
I think everyone should be told the same thing then that would surely save all confusion and mixed messages. But since when do the government use logic:)

xxx

redballoons
17-07-09, 09:36
I have been told to stay in but my family can carry on as normal (so probably pointless me staying in). I was told I had it over the phone but she said she didnt think I would need tamiflu (although she also knows I have a swallowing tablet phobia!). She said she will call back today and see how I am, dont know if she will but didnt really seem to be any major issue around worrying about spreading it now

sophie

lesleya
17-07-09, 10:07
Yes that seems strange though doesnt it. Ive read you only catch it by being close to someone sneezing or coughing near you. I just thought that if you had it or suspected you had it you shouldnt be risking infecting anyone else unecessarily by staying home until you were better.
xx

mick_uk
17-07-09, 10:11
Redballoons,
tamiflu comes in a liquid form too, if you have to take tamiflu ask for the liquid form if you have trouble with taking tablets

neelam30
17-07-09, 10:54
rather tahn use the liquid if your an adult its better to open the capsule contents and mix with juice etc as directed on the info leaflet. think liquids are being confined to kids. :)

mick_uk
17-07-09, 11:42
I must have a different capsule neelam, the leaftlet with mine says you must take the tablet whole.
Still, it's an easier option if you get the ones that you can break open :D

neelam30
17-07-09, 12:04
thats strange!doesnt it have a section saying 'when tamiflu suspension is not available'?At the swine flu centre I visited for work I have seen leaflets with this on. If I get flu I will have to break em open as i cant swallow tablets at all!
get well soon!

mick_uk
17-07-09, 12:20
I have read that elsewhere but on the ones i've been issued it says must be swallowed whole.
Might be the part of England I live in and the supplies they have :D

bab
17-07-09, 15:39
anyone know if you can have it without having a temperature but with having all other symptoms

lesleya
17-07-09, 18:28
Bab...my gp told me i didnt have it because i dont have the fever, bit ive got all the rest of them....so not sure hun, so i dont know if its a constant high temperature or what?

mummyto4
17-07-09, 21:16
My 2 year old was not allowed the medicine. He had the tablets along with eveyone else which I have to break open, however, not sure whether Mick's are the same but the capsules are relatively small and I woudn't imagine hard to swallow should you need to. As regarding work, if you have it or symptoms then the advise is to stay home, however, if a family member, even close direct family has it but you do not then work as normal.