PDA

View Full Version : NHS choices says to me call 999

phil06
17-07-09, 20:10
I just did a swine flu checker here:

http://www.nhsdirect.nhs.uk/

"Your answers suggest you need to dial 999 immediately and ask for an ambulance.
You need to tell the ambulance operator that you have recently travelled to (or live in) an area of high swine flu risk or that you have been in contact with someone with the illness."

It said call 999 as I may have swine flu.

I have a slight runny nose and feel tired does this mean I have swine flu? :ohmy: :scared15:

george08
17-07-09, 20:15
Just call NHS direct or you out of hours surgery explain your symptoms and they will advise you what to do! i dont think they what people to start calling 999 for a runny nose x i have a sore throat and a runny nose but i dont have swine flu! i have a cold! hop your better soon

phil06
17-07-09, 20:16
I'm in a bit of a panic now. Felt a slight runny nose coming on and because I went for a sleep I'm tired..nothing too major.

It's driving me insane not knowing what to do about a cold.

spaced
17-07-09, 20:20
i did the same test and got told almost the same thing i think the test would say swine flu even if it was a broken leg lol if your worried phone nhs direct sure you'll be fine

Funky Mum
17-07-09, 20:20
I'd ring your out of hours service too, NHS Direct can take hours to get back to you.

phil06
17-07-09, 20:21
i did the same test and got told almost the same thing i think the test would say swine flu even if it was a broken leg lol if your worried phone nhs direct sure you'll be fine

I messed with the test and it still said call a doctor if you are not better in a few days. I'm now back tracking symptoms but when you get all this media coverage and fear and sites telling you call the people in white suits I'm running scared..! :lac:

george08
17-07-09, 20:23
just drink plenty of fluids and rest not going to even tell you not to panic but trust me you will know if you have any type of flu! have a hot lemonade and honey and try and relax

take care x

mick_uk
17-07-09, 20:23
that online test is hit and miss.
I was diagnosed with swine flu on tuesday morning and in the afternoon i did the online test and it said I just had ordinary flu :wacko:

phil06
17-07-09, 20:26
that online test is hit and miss.
I was diagnosed with swine flu on tuesday morning and in the afternoon i did the online test and it said I just had ordinary flu :wacko:

So do you know when you have got it?

The whole thing is hit or miss...I've seen everybody with a cold almost in the town..so we are all stuffed! :wacko:

It's really had to relax..I'm sure alot of people have small symptoms but just fearing the worst..it's horrible.. maybe it will pass and I'll be ok.. :unsure:

I feel a tad better I duno maybe it's the phantom symptoms anxiety can play alot on all this...

mick_uk
17-07-09, 20:30
Try and relax phil.
I feel the same as I did before they told me I had it.
I had mild flu symptoms, fever,sore throat and headache, all the symptoms have improved :D

phil06
17-07-09, 20:32
Yes my major fear is I leave it too long you hear all that on the news..I've suffered all this health anxiety bad the last few months it certainly makes me have a massive fear.

mick_uk
17-07-09, 20:34
If i were you phil, I'd phone your out of hours doctor, tell them what your online result was and see if they think it needs attending to. Would put your mind at rest at least

mummyto4
17-07-09, 21:08
I'm so sorry I don't mean to offend anyone here but please calm down. If you are well enough to post it on here then I do not think you need to call 999 for this. I have a 2 year old with swine flu at the moment and I am going to be honest, he is really poorly with a virtually non stop high temperature that I am struggling to keep down. I am keeping a VERY close eye on him at the moment and am very worried but even I wouldn't call 999 unless his breathing became really affected. Please stop panicking and deal with this virus sensibly. I do understand the worries of people but please please please try and keep it in perspective.
I apologise in advance if I have offended anyone.
x

mick_uk
17-07-09, 21:19
Sorry to hear about your little one mummyto4, It must be hard controlling the high temperature in your son, I have had it since monday and even the paracetamol only calm it down a little.
Hope he gets better real soon

mick

mummyto4
17-07-09, 21:24
Thanks Mick, you too!
xxx

kenboon
17-07-09, 23:58
Phil ring up the NHS Hotline mate, they will advise you best.

Ken

nomorepanic
18-07-09, 00:12
I said I would not post on here again but I need to reply to Phil.

When I was ill earlier in the year I had really bad sickness and I don't mean just a bit of sick I mean every 10 minutes for hours on end.

Everytime I called NHS direct they called an ambulance and I ended up in hospital - they have to be careful.

I then started calling the out of hours doctors who actually saw me and could diagnose things better and I mean at 3am in the morning.

If you call NHS direct they have to get you to hospital cos they will be liable if not so please call your local doc and get seen before going to hospital - saves us the stress and hassle and I am sure saves the NHS money.

Just my thoughts anyway and I hope I don't get anymore negative comments for offering my advice.

phil06
18-07-09, 01:14
I said I would not post on here again but I need to reply to Phil.

When I was ill earlier in the year I had really bad sickness and I don't mean just a bit of sick I mean every 10 minutes for hours on end.

Everytime I called NHS direct they called an ambulance and I ended up in hospital - they have to be careful.

I then started calling the out of hours doctors who actually saw me and could diagnose things better and I mean at 3am in the morning.

If you call NHS direct they have to get you to hospital cos they will be liable if not so please call your local doc and get seen before going to hospital - saves us the stress and hassle and I am sure saves the NHS money.

Just my thoughts anyway and I hope I don't get anymore negative comments for offering my advice.

Thanks. I never knew that.

I do feel a bit better now so hope it was just anxiety. It's not a good idea to check up all those sites as it's always worst case scenario.

Mudskipper
18-07-09, 17:14
Hi Mummyto4

I'm sure you already know this, but when our youngest had a stomach bug and high temperature back in may, our doc said it was safe to give them both paracetamol and ibuprofen based remedies. The two drugs are not related and so can be given consecutively, thus reducing the intervals between doses to as little as two hours which helps a lot. I'd recommend anyone to check with their doctors before doing this, especially if using Tamiflu, as it may react differently, but worth checking into.

Best wishes for a speedy recovery.

mummyto4
18-07-09, 18:44
Hi Mudskipper, thankyou so much for the advice. I am already doing this and he still has the really high temp, which is why I am so worried. I spoke to his nursery manager today who informed me that another confirmed case at his nursery (recovered now) also struggled with a constant high temperature that they just could not get down. It may just be a part of this virus, but is worrying none the less. I always appreciate any advice that anyone has to give so thank you so much.
xx

mummyto4
21-07-09, 21:56
Icysmooth, thank you for your post. Yes he had every symptom of this virus. Temp, cough, snotty nose, sore throat, D and V. Thank fully, he is much much better now. It was a worry. I read something today about swine flu at work and it said 'swine flu is exactly the same as any other flu except its a pandemic, meaning it has spread all over the world' good point I agree, however, I don't like what I saw with my little one having it and I hope I dont have to see it again.
xx

maddie
21-07-09, 23:54
Icysmooth, thank you for your post. Yes he had every symptom of this virus. Temp, cough, snotty nose, sore throat, D and V. Thank fully, he is much much better now. It was a worry. I read something today about swine flu at work and it said 'swine flu is exactly the same as any other flu except its a pandemic, meaning it has spread all over the world' good point I agree, however, I don't like what I saw with my little one having it and I hope I dont have to see it again.
xx

I hope your little one is better now. We have all found that sucking ice pops helps. It's reduced our 6 month baby's sore throat and he's enjoyed it too, which has been a distraction for him.

NoPoet
22-07-09, 18:09
Why would someone dial 999 because of swine flu unless someone was very seriously ill? If you take any online test and report chest pains or difficulty breathing -- both of which are usually caused by short term, non-serious problems -- it will tell you to ring 999 immediately.

Online health tests are a bit stupid to be honest, they cannot interpret your symptoms, they see "chest pains" as "heart attack" instead of a chest infection, pleurisy, pulled muscle, oesophagus pain, asthma...