PDA

View Full Version : Newcomer - anxiety issues

Andie
20-09-05, 14:07
Hello all,

I stumbled across this site last week and have been having a poke around ever since!

My GP put me on Citalopram last week. It's the first time I've tried meds. I've been struggling with anxiety off and on for years. I have agoraphobia and cannot handle travelling. I struggle with the worry that I will need to use the toilet urgently and will be unable to escape. Amazingly, I see that I am not alone in this particular struggle!

I live in London and the tube is a nightmare. I take trains and buses wherever possible. It comes and goes in waves. Sometimes I can handle it, other times I am fine and when I'm having a bad time I end up sitting on platforms sobbing for half and hour trying to get to work before I turn around and go home.

I'm working through the side-effects. So far I've had a couple of short-lived bouts of dizziness, a morning of diarrhea, aches and pains for a day, and headaches. The only side-effect that seems to be a constant is tiredness.

I'm constantly appraising myself for other side-effects and trying to figure out if I feel different.

My questions at the moment: How will I know when the meds start to do their job? My GP said to come back if I noticed no difference in a week or two. What will be the defining feelings of "feeling better"? I simply cannot imagine getting up in the morning and NOT worrying about the day ahead.

Any advice, experiences etc would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers,

Andie

Meg
20-09-05, 14:22
Welcome Andy

First Steps to overcoming Panic and Anxiety (http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/showthread.php?t=942)

*My GP said to come back if I noticed no difference in a week or two* In reality it could be 3-5 weeks but often is 2. You'll just feel a bit better over time- bit like the ready brek glo feeling..

There are plenty of posts about this under medication. Go back a few pages

No you are not alone

bathroom obsessive (http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/showthread.php?t=2946)

Meg
www.anxietymanagementltd.com

Your anxiety is the human representation of the pictures that you paint using your many vivid colours of revolving and reoccurring thoughts.
How big is your gallery ?

FRANKIEISBACK
20-09-05, 14:27
I think you will find that there is plenty of info regarding medication etc on here, everyone who goes on a drug usually has the same sort of questions, what are others on, how long will it take to work etc, do a search on the site , that might help

trac67
20-09-05, 14:54
Hi Andie,
Welcome to the site. I am on citalopram too and you will probably find that it will take 4 to 6 weeks before you do begin to feel a difference in your anxiety. The constant tiredness may not be an affect of the meds, tiredness is part of the struggle with anxiety, because we 'fight' all the time, it wears us out. Since being on the meds i find i can cope with day to day life a lot better, and it really helped with the going out issues.
Give it time and you will notice a huge difference.
Take care
Trac xx

its "just a thought"

pinkscrumpy
20-09-05, 14:59
Welcome to the site Andie

[^][^]

MANDIE XX

Will I ever escape this?
Will I ever be free?
Wake me up from this nightmare.
Please just give me the key!

Sweep1
20-09-05, 15:16
A big warm welcome to you. You'll find great advice on this site and everyone is so helpful and friendly.

Take care

Sweep1

Karen
20-09-05, 15:39
Hi Andie

Welcome to the forum.

Karen

It is not easy to find happiness in ourselves, and it is not possible to find it elsewhere.

jill
20-09-05, 17:01
Hi Andie

WELCOME TO THE SITE:D

TAKE CARE

LOVE JILLXX

When you fear something,
learn as much about it as you can.
Knowledge conquers fear.

missjones
20-09-05, 17:10
Hi Andie,

I live in London too, and it's taken me a while to be able to feel ok on the tube. I guess that's normal for most of us though... the other week someone in my carriage called the emergency cord (i think he did it by accident) and eveyone on my carriage looked absolutely terrified. As soon as the train stopped, everyone on my carriage got off and went to the bus stop.

I have never taken any medication for my anxiety problems, and I'd be really interested to hear how you think your medication does affect you.

Best wishes,
x

Elaine1
20-09-05, 17:40
Hi Andie,

I have been taking Citalopram for just over a week and had a couple of small side effects similar to yours, but I am positive they will help having read the many posts on this site ( I would encourage you to read as much as you can on the site). It does seem to take several weeks to really get in your system and work, so stay with it and think positive.

Like Trac said, I think the tiredness is part of the anxiety issue.

Just try and take small positive steps one at a time and build on these. I like you have had the odd day where I have tried to get to work, but have returned home unsuccessful, but I am conditioning myself to let that time and negative feelings go and think forward etc.

If you would like to talk further, please feel free to pm me.

Hope this helps a little.

Take care

Elaine XX

sueiamnew
20-09-05, 20:09
Welcome to the site Andie.