PDA

View Full Version : the return of childhood OCD

missjones
20-09-05, 16:57
Hi,

I had OCD as a child, and now I think it's coming back again.

As a child I would pray obsessively, and would do all kinds of odd little things to keep my family safe. Now I am finding myself feeling compulsed into doing odd little things again for rather random reasons. I am trying to tell myself that it's ok if I don't do these things, and that nothing bad will happen, but I don't always believe myself.

I would really like to be able to control my anxious feelings in some other way, and I'd really appreciate any advice or support.

Thanks
x

Meg
20-09-05, 17:02
Well Done for getting over it first time round.

Try to pour your efforts into helping yourself by understanding where this originates and through solution focussed exercises instead of getting back into OCD habits which is more possible since you've already started to be able to identify them which is a really good move on your part. It is very hard to stop these tasks from multiplying so well done for looking for help early on

First Steps to overcoming Panic and Anxiety (http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/showthread.php?t=942)

Ask your GP to refer you for some CBT.

Meg
www.anxietymanagementltd.com

Your anxiety is the human representation of the pictures that you paint using your many vivid colours of revolving and reoccurring thoughts.
How big is your gallery ?

missjones
20-09-05, 17:20
Thanks Meg,

I don't think I'm doing so badly yet that I would be considered for CBT, and I really would like to avoid medication.

I did have some counselling when I was at university that was a great help to me, and provided me with many of the strategies I still use. Over the years, I have learnt to understand my own little quirks and try my hardest to not get worked up over them.

It's reassuring to know that there are other people in the world who sometimes feel the same way.