PDA

View Full Version : Why is doubting so irresistable?

Gryphoenix
18-07-09, 17:25
I think that what we have is totally a 'doubting' syndrome--we doubt that we're actually healthy and there may be something wrong with us, we doubt that we will overcome it eventually, we doubt that these feelings will ever go away, etc. Especially during panics! We doubt that we'll come out of it okay and that drives the 'second' fear.

On good days I can beat it back with a logic stick, and just laugh at the silly thoughts.

On bad days I listen to them and I can't help but think of them. For example, when walking, I get a fast heart rate--which reminds me of panics, which leads me to 'irresistably' remember what it's like to have that dreaded ectopic or racing heart identified with panic, and then I can't get it out of my head no matter what. I think it might be a change in brain chemistry, honestly, when I'm feeling anxious, even though I know better, my mind simply can't focus on anything else except the 'danger' that's in front of me. (The false danger, of course). Maybe this has something to do with the whole 'flight or flight' thing?

Just because I 'might' panic or I 'could' panic shouldn't mean that I will. But when anxious, that 'might' and 'could' becomes WILL and sets off the triggers. When anxious, I believe in the negativity so readily that anything positive becomes strange and incomprehensible.

What have you done to beat this?

expecto patronum
20-07-09, 11:43
Hi Gryphoenix, I think you explain it really well, the 'fear-adrenaline-fear cycle' as Claire Weekes calls it. Our mental reactions do have a lot to do with the fight-or-flight responses, from what I have read; part of the our defence-mechanisms when we perceive a danger or threat include the mind focussing on the source of the threat. I think this is a helpful thing to know because it means that we can stop blaming ourselves so much for the fact that we 'cant stop thinking about soemthing' that is worrying us, because it is a natural reaction and it's not just people with Anxiety who experience this. The only way that we differ is that we have an 'over-sensitized radar' (as one book put it) when it comes to perceiving danger/things that are worrisome or fearful. I think we often give ourselves an extra helping of anxiety in the form of guilt when we feel that 'oh no I can feel a panic coming on' feeling that you describe: the feeling that you *should* be able to stop it coming or push it away is really harmful as it fuels the whole cycle.

Anyway, I'll have to contine this later as I am at work, oops, gotta go

LisaLisa
20-07-09, 14:17
I agree

What you say is soooooo true! Its like nothing else is near as important as worrying about it. And you cant fully focus on anything else when its in full swing, even if you try really hard.
Strangely though i find the worrying sometimes like an addiction , like smoking?!?! weird i know but when im not doing it and i feel okay i sometimes start thinking about the worrying things deliberately? Dont know if that makes any sense but your post certainly does

So glad im not alone!

Lisa
xxx

expecto patronum
20-07-09, 15:53
"when im not doing it and i feel okay i sometimes start thinking about the worrying things deliberately?"

LisaLisa, there was another thread on here recently about this, and I get the same thing: When you are having a good day and not worrying, you start to almost get scared of feeling ok, and then start worrying again! This then leaves you with feeling "I am clearly not able to be free from anxiety, there is always a background anxiety there, and I'll never really feel normal" ; I realised recently that this is what I believed deep down, but the more I think about it, the more I realise that this too is just a symptom of having lived with anxiety for a long time, because when you think about it it's a load of crap!! Also, there is an element of finding it hard to let go of your anxious persona, because it has become part of your identity; but again, understanding and accepting that this is an obstacle is good, and probably essential to moving forward. Claire Weekes talks about how people's beliefs hold them back; she states that no-one can get better however hard they try, unless they truly believe that they can get better. Some days I still don't believe that I can get better, but I try to see the thought "I'll never get better" as a thought, and product of anxiety, rather than a fact.

Also, Gryphoenix, to go back to your point about doubting: I think this is a major part of anxiety, as worrying about what might or might not happen is a way of trying to negotiate or control our fear of uncertainty. The CBT book I've read even has a special section on "learning to live with uncertainty". If I'm having an anxious day I try to ask myself "what am I afraid of" and be as honest about this as I can -eg. 'looking foolish in front of people=people not liking me'- then "would it be so terrible if this happened/what's the worst case scenario" and I try to summon some belief that if the worst did happen, I would be able to cope with it .