PDA

View Full Version : Ok I googled and have freaked myself out big time!

cassy1989
18-07-09, 21:05
Ok I know I shouldn't have!

As I have said before on here 2 1/2 years ago I wasn't very well. Had very bad sinutis and at the time was also very depressed and my anxiety had been building up for a long time.
Around this same time I woke up in the night with a dead arm and the first time it spread to my face a little bit, then went, second time it spread to my face and my lips and my lips went dead so I couldn't talk properly for a few seconds. The third time it spread to my nose for about 30 seconds and then went.
I went to the doctors, he tested the strength in my hands and said he thought it was where I had been pinching a nerve.
I have never heard of this happen to anyone else so really freaked me out!
Also around the same time my vision went funny (double) for a few weeks and optician said it was cos of a lazy eye and that I can believe.

Anyway the other day I woke up with a dead hand and I started thinking about what had happened before and it felt like a tiny spot of my face had gone numb. I'm hoping this was cos I was thinking about it??

So I got thinking again tonight and googled numbness and MS came up so now I am all freaked out again!

Also the last few days I have been having shooting pains in my knee and elbow, haven't had them today and they only last a second but it has got me thinking this is all pointing to MS.

Thanks in advance to anyone who writes back x

Cococj
18-07-09, 21:44
OR it could all point to anxiety? These are all symptoms, surely you came across that when you did the silly thing and googled?

MS is more than a few periods of numbness and the odd shooting pain. Did you look at all the symptoms of MS you don't have?I ask because there's lots you haven't mentioned.

Sorry to sound harsh but you googled, we've all done it, but you really should stop worrying about it. Pinches nerves aren't exactly common everyday occurrences akin to say sneezing, but they aren't unheard of either.

Just try to relax, book an appointment to see your doctor if it's worrying you overly and try to enjoy your weekend :)

Chris

cassy1989
18-07-09, 21:46
Thanks for replying.

It could all point to anxiety which may be why every time I had the numbness it got worse because I was panicking too.

I don't know whether to make an appointment with doctor or not because no matter what they say I won't be reassured :(

nickieb
18-07-09, 22:17
Hiya cassy

Firstly i say there is no harm in googling as long as you add anxiety into the search too hun this will give you a completely different results & will make more sense to you. I get the prickly feeling all over body & numb tingly face its called tetany i think & is related to anxiety. Yes MS give these symptoms but they would not be intermittent they would be there all the time hun.

I will attach a website please read it & everytime you feel this way just read the symptoms list....

http://www.anxietycentre.com/anxiety-symptoms.shtml

Nic xxx

cassy1989
18-07-09, 22:30
Hi Nicola, thanks for replying.

That site is really useful. It listed alot of health anxieties I didn't know you could get too!

All the symptoms I get do point towards anxiety.

But I have read that you can have MS and go several years without any symptoms recurring so thats why I'm worried x

nickieb
18-07-09, 22:32
Yeah you can i agree & i worry about MS too hun but you would be getting a lot of other symptoms with your limbs & head etc too.
If your worried that much please go see your GP as no matter how much we tell you if will not assure you.

Take care xx

cassy1989
18-07-09, 22:35
Maybe I should go back and see GP but tbh I don't even think their reassurance will be enough x

Ruby86
18-07-09, 23:22
Hiya Cassy,

On Monday & Tuesday I had bad pins and needles in my arms and legs, I googled it and was sure it was ms... but that is also how I found this site, which has helped me alot already :) i also sometimes get shooting pains in my legs, and sort of shivers.

I have heard of the trapped nerve thing, that can cause numbness but as far as I know is harmless but irritating.

I know how you feel with google, I just can't help myself!

I know it probably wont make you feel better, (doesn't make me feel any better when I say it to myself!) but I really reckon you're alright love. Do go to your doctor though if you're worried.

Take Care xxx

ps thank you nicola for that link, it's fantastic, I should stick it to my wall or something. everything i panic about is on there!

cassy1989
19-07-09, 10:26
Hi Ruby, thanks for replying.

I might pop to the doctor to talk about my anxiety in the week and bring all this up then too and see what they say.

I didn't sleep very well last night, sounds stupid but I was so worried I was going to get a dead arm or something that I just couldn't relax.

I don't know why I'm being like this again when all this happened 2 1/2 years ago now! x

honeybee3939
19-07-09, 10:36
Hi Cassy

Just been reading your thread and was wondering if its because you lay when alseep on your arm. The reason i ask is because many a night i have woken up with a dead arm and hand because i have been laid on it and stopped the blood circulation. Its so annoying. I can get up on a morning come downstairs and my arm still feels numb i end up swinging my arm and hand around in the air to get the blood circulating again.

Anyway, hope you get it sorted soon
:hugs: :hugs:
Andrea
xxxx

cassy1989
19-07-09, 10:39
Hi Honeybee, thanks for replying.

Yeah the reason my arm was going dead was because I was lying on it. I wasn't worried about that but I was worried about the fact the numbness spread to my face once it had gone from my arm! x

moore
19-07-09, 11:37
Numbness in lips/mouth spreading to nose is something I've had for a few weeks now. I believe it's related to sinus problems (hay fever for me), so I wouldnt worry TOO much about that.
I don't believe its MS simply because the symptoms move around too much - one minute the left side will be numb, then the right, then all of it, then none. And sometimes it hangs around all night lol. That doesnt sound like a nerve injury to me, maybe the same for you. I have read that sinusitis can cause tingling in the face and lips, its easy to imagine why, the trigeminal nerve passes through the maxillary (front) sinus.

As for the tingling in the rest of your limbs, don't automatically assume it's related. It's probably either anxiety or bad posture. I also get this a lot!!

Hope this helps

cassy1989
19-07-09, 11:41
Hi Moore, thanks for replying.

You have actually reassured me a bit because as I said at the time this was all happening I had a bad sinus infection so its possible that could have been something to do with it.

But my lips did actually go dead and for a few seconds I couldn't move them properly or talk.

Theres a difference between numbness and something going dead isn't there? Because when something goes numb you can still move it but when something goes dead you can't? I'm not sure if thats right or not x

moore
19-07-09, 12:18
Hi Moore, thanks for replying.

Theres a difference between numbness and something going dead isn't there? Because when something goes numb you can still move it but when something goes dead you can't? I'm not sure if thats right or not x

anatomically, not really a difference no (I'm not a qualified doctor though!). The nerves control both the "motor response" and the feedback of sensation. This is why when you sit on your arm for a short while, it simply gets pins and needles, but if you doze off while sitting on your arm and wake up hours later you actually cant move your arm at all for like a minute or more!

I also know this because I had bells palsy for a while some time ago, this makes the whole side of your face go dead for weeks lol - and I'm fine now, though I can't say I enjoyed it at the time for obvious reasons!

Stressed32
19-07-09, 19:21
could be a pintched nerve. have you have your spine checked? this can cause every symptoms you are explaing, even sinus infections if the prob. is in your neck bones. It could be as simple as getting your spine adjusted and back in the right alignment.

Parfait757
19-07-09, 19:51
Request an MRI from you doctor. It is a painless and safe procedure that will rule out MS and will get you a peace of mind.

LisaLisa
20-07-09, 13:18
Ok I know I shouldn't have!

As I have said before on here 2 1/2 years ago I wasn't very well. Had very bad sinutis and at the time was also very depressed and my anxiety had been building up for a long time.
Around this same time I woke up in the night with a dead arm and the first time it spread to my face a little bit, then went, second time it spread to my face and my lips and my lips went dead so I couldn't talk properly for a few seconds. The third time it spread to my nose for about 30 seconds and then went.
I went to the doctors, he tested the strength in my hands and said he thought it was where I had been pinching a nerve.
I have never heard of this happen to anyone else so really freaked me out!
Also around the same time my vision went funny (double) for a few weeks and optician said it was cos of a lazy eye and that I can believe.

Anyway the other day I woke up with a dead hand and I started thinking about what had happened before and it felt like a tiny spot of my face had gone numb. I'm hoping this was cos I was thinking about it??

So I got thinking again tonight and googled numbness and MS came up so now I am all freaked out again!

Also the last few days I have been having shooting pains in my knee and elbow, haven't had them today and they only last a second but it has got me thinking this is all pointing to MS.

Thanks in advance to anyone who writes back x

Sorry just to say that I wake up all the time with dead arms and legs...becuase I have been lying on them, although i dont rememebr that part because i am asleep. It happens more at certain times especially before my period. Obviously a hormone thing....and stress thing too, im sure it something to do with salt balance and circulation and nothing more exciting than that. Sooooooooo no MS. The numb bits , i do that all the time, totally convince myself that parts of me are numb and then suddently they arent if I am distracted!!

Sounds ilke you might be in a similar place. Im thinking that you are anxious and that is your only prob!!... but hey i know thats a big enough prob initself

Lisa

xxxxxxx:hugs:

wiskersonkittens
20-07-09, 13:24
Just to add a thought . . during our sleep cycle we do go through a type of sleep paralysis. You can't move anything during this time. Maybe you have woken up slightly during one of these times -- as your body was coming out of it -- and that's why you experienced the sensations you did. Again, just a thought. :) Hugs, Wiskers ~

cassy1989
22-07-09, 09:26
Hello, thought I would update quickly.
Well I had a dead hand last night and also a slight dead hand a few nights ago. It's all ok until I start thinking about it!
I get my hand back to normal and then start thinking of what happened before and lo and behold it feels like a patch of my face is numb when its not!

This anxiety really is crap isn't it!