PDA

View Full Version : Stormphobia - Fear of weather

stimpy
09-01-04, 23:34
I know this sounds really silly [:I] but I'm afraid of "Severe Weather".
I panic when the weather gets too hot, too wet, too windy or it's thundering.

Does anyone else suffer with this problem ?

Buby
09-01-04, 23:49
hi stimpy.

i paniced when its too hot. last summer i was ill and i used to go in the garden at night and now im terrified of going out there in hot weather. ive not told anyone yet about this but im going to phone my hypnotherapist tomorrow to see if i can go and see him.

i dont really suffer from all the weather just the heat in the summer. there is nothing silly about this fear, all fears are strange and silly but everyone knows how you feel. trust us, we're your friends.

keep posting

hugs from rachel aka ratchit

benoo5
09-01-04, 23:50
hi liz,

this is quite common,so trust me ,your not alone....but always remember this...when a raindrop hits your nose,smile,because,youve just been kissed,by an angel....best wishes..bryan.

Buby
09-01-04, 23:51
oh yeah i know this is a silly question, but how many posts did you do to get the gold new member star. i really want one and im trying my best but nothing.
anyway speak to you more probably
hugs rachel aka ratchit

Buby
09-01-04, 23:52
awwww. thats really nice bryan. now im going to think that everytime it drops on my nose.

Buby
09-01-04, 23:53
hey im a new member.

sorry i'll stop posting on here now.

benoo5
10-01-04, 00:44
keep posting rachel,you make me laugh..you bring back happy memories,when my girls,were your age...best wishes..bryan.

Meg
10-01-04, 10:59
If anyone is up early enough to listen to Sarah Kennedy on R2 she was telling a story only yesterday about how when she was at her convent :

When it would storm , one of the nuns would shriek ' Under your desks girls -it's the end of the world ' Anyone in her class had to crawl under the desk and stay there till it was all over and then she'd say - ' Oh I was mistaken .. and lessons would proceed as if nothing had happened...

Meg

Watch your thoughts, they become your words...
Watch your words, they become your actions... Watch your actions, they become your habits... Watch your habits, they become your character... Watch your character, it becomes your destiny...

Buby
10-01-04, 15:52
hey Bryan.

i do try my best to make people laugh. all my friends think im funny and so do i if i do say so myself. im glad to make people laugh it releases stress for me when im around other people who are laughing at me, dont know why. maybe i should go in the humor category and say aomething funny. all u have to do now is think of something funny.

all the best,
ratchit aka rachel

Buby
10-01-04, 15:54
that 'u' in the last sentence was meant to be an 'i'

nomorepanic
10-01-04, 16:11
Rachel - Don't worry too much about the stars - they don't mean much to be honest. Also, you can edit a post by clicking on the "pencil on the paper" icon above each post.

Liz - thunderstorms used to freak me out, so has the snow and fog cos that makes me feel really claustrophobic. So it isn't just you don't worry.

Nicola

stimpy
10-01-04, 18:58
Phew! I'm so glad it's not just me that worries about extreme weather. For some reason hot weather seems to be a real problem.

I like the idea of being kissed by an angel, I will have to remember that when I'm watching the rain pour in through a hole in the kitchen roof [8D]

Thanks everyone I feel loads better now :D

Love and light
Liz xxx

Rennie1989
11-01-04, 17:04
When i was 4+ i was terrorfide of thunder storms and very heavey rain. Im still afraid of thunder, dono y! im just going off

Jade

uryjm
11-01-04, 22:08
It was stormy up here today and, living by the coast, I decided to go out on my bike. Talk about daft. The wind was whipping up the waves and I liked having it behind me pushing me along. After a while though, it got quite scary as the sea crashed over the walls and the light faded. Quite ominous. I turned for home and was glad to get back to a nice cup of tea. The weather can make you feel a bit insignificant, I think, which is maybe why it sometimes feels threatening.

Jim

Rennie1989
13-01-04, 18:17
the only reason i feel scared with thunder is coz we had a fload here in 1996, i was only 6 and my mum just gave birth to my lil bro. The water came into the house and there was a leak (no, not a veg) in our hallway and after a while it rotted the carpet. I WAS TERRORFIDE!!!!!!

Jade

Hears The Water
28-01-04, 18:29
wow, again, I find that I am not alone in my fears. I am terrified of tornadoes. I know that this may seem like a silly question, but do y'all get tornadoes in the UK, now I know that the UK its self is huge and that maybee it is regional there like it is here in the US. I live in the middle of the country in an area that is called "tornado alley". I have personally been in several tornadoes as a child even one where our pick up truck was tossed around on the road when I was 5. So I have allways been scared of extreme storms. So much so that when I was in grade school I would sub-consiously make myself have a fever and vomit on days that I knew that we where going to have tornado drills. I guess that is one fear that has stayed with me all my life. I am still scared of tornadoes and bad thunder storms. Now I am responsible for my three children so I have to at least look calm for their sakes. My youngest is terrified of storms too, and my oldest is scared of lightening as our house has been hit by it twice last year. Just this last spring we had some very bad stoms move thru and there was a lot of damage in towns very close to us. Anyway, I guess I am rambeling here, bottom line for me is I think that the weather is so scary is because it is something that I have absolutley no control over. I mean I can wash my hands if I think I touched something bad, or I can lock my door if I think there is someone outside but I cannot stop a storm from coming. I can only run down to the basement and hide. This Spring will be the first one since I have learned breatheing techniques and calming thoughts so it should be interesting to see how I do. I will keep everyone posted. BTW, is there a word for being scared of storms? Is it realy Stormphobia???
God Bless you and yours
Debbie

benoo5
28-01-04, 19:14
hi debbie,

surprising enough,the uk is not that big...its quite a small island,and would actually fit inside texas.

we do seem to get very minor tornados...you would classify them as a grade 1..but as global warming gradually changes things,maybe trhey will get stronger,in years to come.

do try out the breathing techniques,and also try some form of distraction,next time you have a bad storm...best wishes..bryan.

Meg
28-01-04, 22:14
You know Debbie ,

Given where you live and what you've experienced first hand I don't think you have a phobia as such - as it is a real valid fear and healthy respect and if you are afraid you will prepare well. When you were a kid was different- you seem to be more grounded about it now or might have moved.

Granted , it may have got a bit out of proportion but not to phobic proportions.

Yes you do need to appear calm for the kids but you have been learning to do that whilst teaching them how to have a healthy respect for and prepare for a storm/ tornado.

You would have a phobia if you had that here as it would be an out of proportion fear given our mighty infrequent incidence.

Take care

Meg

Watch your thoughts, they become your words...
Watch your words, they become your actions... Watch your actions, they become your habits... Watch your habits, they become your character... Watch your character, it becomes your destiny...

Lillith
12-10-15, 07:41
I'm convinced (and so is the medical community) that there's a genetic link to anxiety and all its evil relatives. I say this because my dad's family members were terrified of stormy weather. As intense as my anxiety is and of my many phobias, bad weather isn't one of them. I love rain, thunder and lightening especially at night. My relatives' phobias included stormy weather, but somehow, I bypassed that one. My mom, whose family had no anxiety disorders, was a great influence in helping me deal with weather. I have a healthy respect for weather and take safety precautions, but I must admit, I enjoy a good heavy rain and some thunder. Perhaps a little light study of meteorology would help. They really are fascinating. Hope this helps. (I find it amusing I'm afraid of so many things, but not bad weather).

GingerFish
12-10-15, 11:17
I get this too. I think its because in severe weather, help might not be able to get to me as quickly as in a good conditions day and that makes me feel more vulnerable and in danger. Help could be a doctor or even just my mum. I've never needed anyone to come to my rescue but its like a safety net knowing I just have to pick up the phone if I really have to. Also with really hot days, I am always scared I will get heatstroke and the heat makes my anxiety worse as I feel like I will faint and I feel hot and flustered and smothered from a panic so when its warm and I have that, I feel suffocated and can't cool or calm down.

jayb1
12-10-15, 14:08
I hate the hot weather as I find it triggers more panic attacks because I feel I can't breathe. Looking forward to cold winters days. My psychotherapist is terrified of thunderstorms so it can happen to any of us !!!!

Shapeshifting Lizard
15-10-15, 03:06
There was a storm directly overhead the other day and it sounded as if the house was going to collapse. I wouldn't trust anyone who isn't frightened in that situation.