PDA

View Full Version : Relaxation.. Questions?

in1peace
21-09-05, 07:58
Is anyone learning any effective relaxation techniques? I know this is supposed to be helpful for me, but I can't decide what to try first. I am glued to the PC at night time because I have insomnia and then I get to this site and no one is around this late to chat with. LOL! I've gotta quit doing this and I've gotta get some sleep. Anyone wanna share what's been working for them?
Ps. I'm not into subliminal relaxation or new age meditation, but I would try yoga if it was simply for exercise.

"Honey, if ya ain't feelin' the bumps in the road, ya ain't goin' nowhere!" (A wise Georgia Granny's take on living life to the fullest! LOL!)

mico
21-09-05, 13:07
There's plenty of relaxation techniques lying around, the important bit, is to actually participate in them.

I'm not sure what you mean by 'subliminal relaxation' or 'new age meditation', but you could be shortening your list of options for little reason.

Meditation

Don't get me wrong, the term 'new age' usually implies that it was developed by someone in the 60's under the influence of LSD, and if we're honest, that's usually the case.

So, how about 'old age' meditation? :D

Meditation can be a very practical exercise which has no 'spiritual' elements whatsoever. If you're interested, have a look at this post:

How do you medatate? (http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/showthread.php?t=5298)

Guided Visualisation

Similarly, a lot of stuff can be filed under 'subliminal relaxation'. I could say that I have used 'subliminal relaxation' at times, but I haven't used it so I can become George Clooney in 7 days through subliminal messages being pumped into my brain. Again, I'm not into that either. But, the advantage that this category has, is that it's 'guided'.

Don't worry, not all guided visualisation makes the use of subliminal messages, but whether it does, or it doesn't, it has one big advantage. Any relaxation technique can take a lot of concentration (something which anxiety sufferers often have little of), but guided visualisation takes half of the battle away by providing you with something to listen to, giving you less work to do. I would probably say that guided visualisation is the easiest form of relaxation.

Yoga

I'm no expert on yoga, but I do know that it was originally part of an eastern religion.

However, it's been developed in different forms, heavilly westernised, and it's rarely used as any kind of spiritual exercise anymore (at least not in the west).

I also know that there are different types of yoga, some more for relaxation, some more for physical exercise, others here will be able to tell you more about that.

It just so hapens, that these such exercises, they really don't take any great physical demand, but because of the way they are carried out with a lot of focus on your movements, it works in a way very similar to meditation, in which it helps you to maintain a focused concentration. This focused concentration will help you divert attention away from your usual negative thoughts and effectively relax you. It also has the benefit of the physical work relaxing your muscles.

Tense & Relax

Find somewhere comfortable, with little distratcion, either sitting or lying down (whichever you prefer) and take a few deep breaths. You can close your eyes if you like.

Start at the feet. Take a breath, hold it, and tense the muscles for a few seconds, then let the breath go, and relax.

Work your way up, take a breath, tense your calfs, then relax. Work your way up through your whole body tensing and relaxing each and every muscle. Don't leave a stone unturned, by the end of it you should feel a lot more relaxed than when you started.

Very much like guded visualisation, you can get tapes/CDs that can guide you through this, which you may find easier.

Abdominal Breathing

Relaxed breathing comes from the diaphragm, not the chest. The diaphragm is located in your lower abdomin. When you're carrying out any relaxation technique, this is where you should be breathing from.

Breathing from the chest has associations with a rapid heart beat, which could be anything from physical exercise, to panic.

On the other hand, the diaphragm is very much like the heart, it is always working away, when you're relaxed your diaphragm controls your breathing.

To put it simply, your belly should be rising, not your chest.

A Healthy Lifestyle

This is probably the one that most people miss. Like you, they spend all day on the computer, or rushing round the house doing housework, and when it comes to relaxation time, they just can't sit still.

Activities such as sitting at the computer, or watching TV, although they may appear

Laurie28
21-09-05, 13:35
Hiya,

I've always had trouble with relaxing

Brilliant post Mico

Lucky

Meg
21-09-05, 15:37
Fabulous comprehensive post, thanks Mico

Pilates (http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/showthread.php?t=3136)
fear of relaxing (http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/showthread.php?t=3762)
Visualisation Technique? (http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/showthread.php?t=414)

How Do You Do The Breathing (http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/showthread.php?t=4042)
Breathing.. wow (http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/showthread.php?t=4037)
Breathing Techniques (http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/showthread.php?t=4044)
CONTROLLED BREATHING (http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/showthread.php?t=5041)

Also, hobbies - particularly creative ones such as musical instruments, relax the part of the brain that has the rotating thoughts and can be be very helpful to aid the relaxation process

Meg
www.anxietymanagementltd.com

Your anxiety is the human representation of the pictures that you paint using your many vivid colours of revolving and reoccurring thoughts.
How big is your gallery ?

Elaine1
21-09-05, 16:31
Hi Andrea

Great post by mico, alot to take on board!

I have tried parts of mico's post 'Tense & Relax' 'Adominal Breathing' and Yoga in the past.

Adominal breathing in a dark room with no distractions, can be a wonderful thing. I can remember doing this in a Yoga class several years ago and falling asleep!

You could try Tense & Relax and Adominal Breathing in a quiet place in your home with the lights down or perhaps a couple of candles on to help the mood - Just an idea.

I have just got through many sleepness nights, but I have been put on meds to help, but am currently sleeping better without panic and anxiety at night - to go without sleep is horrendous, so I do sympathise with you.

I try not to get to bed too late (10.15pm), have a cup of warm boiled water and a book, this routinue is currently working for me - it may help.

Hoping you get a better night.

Take care

Elaine

mico
21-09-05, 18:56
Just a quick point to add about insomnia.

Try not to do any of this stuff in bed. Your bed is for sleeping, and when you use it for other things (well, apart from the obvious), it becomes associated with those very things.

Relaxation can make you sleepy, but it can also make you more alert. If you relax in bed, and it makes you more alert, everytime you get into bed, your brain will associate your bed with these feelings, so the moment you climb in it you suddenly become more alert.

I find the best time to help sleep, is maybe an hour, or thirty mins before bed. For me, it's usually my overactive thoughts (not necesarilly negative) that keep me awake at night, I just feel the compulsion to think and think. If I relax beforehand, then these thoughts die down, and the instance that happens, I feel tired and I actually want to go to bed. I never actually want to go to bed otherwise, I just want to sit and think.

mico

'Security is mostly superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding Danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure, or nothing.'

in1peace
21-09-05, 21:58
Mico!
You crack me up! LOL!!
I could really use that OLD AGE meditation! LOL! ROFL!!!
That was a great extensive post. I really appreciate the time and attention to detail you put into that for me! Very cool! Very awesome!
I will let you know what I try and what works for me. Just needed a kick in the butt reminder that I need to JFDI!! LOL!

"Honey, if ya ain't feelin' the bumps in the road, ya ain't goin' nowhere!" (A wise Georgia Granny's take on living life to the fullest! LOL!)

clickaway
22-09-05, 17:38
Hey Mico,

those fab notes of yours should not be hidden on the forum here!

now, about sitting at the computer for too long.....

Ray

And when you get the choice to sit it out or dance, I hope you dance.
~Mark Sanders and Tia Sillers

LisaS
22-09-05, 20:21
hi andrea,

i'm not the most patient of people so i find relaxation very hard to do.. but after rushing around all day its often nice to just lay on the bed, listen to some soothing music and drift in and out of positive visualisation, just like sailing round a beautiful lagoon and detailing the trees around the lagoon and what the boat looks like and the stunning man being the captain.. !!
and of course keep your breathing constant flow of in and out..
oh and i love going to yoga too!
good luck,
lisa
xxx

"do not fear to hope...Each time we smell the autumn's dying scent, we know that primrose time will come again"

in1peace
22-09-05, 22:45
Hey yeah!
What about sitting at the computer, Ray?? LOL!!
Mico, he has a point there.... was that for your benefit or mine??? ha ha ha!
Lisa, who is that guy piloting the boat? Did someone mention George Clooney??.... nah.. must've been those breezes blowing off the lagoon.....
Elaine... warm, boiled water?? Do you put anything inthat? Lemon, cocoa mix, tea??
Meg, thanks again! As always you are a lifesaver!