PDA

View Full Version : Having a hard time...

flithm
21-09-05, 15:34
Hi everyone,

I'm a GAD sufferer, and for me the anxiety is around 24/7. Thankfully I am not getting panic attacks this time (this is my second time through this), but the general anxiety is still really annoying. I constantly feel tingly and dissociated... scared.

I've been doing much better since I found this site. I've been trying to deal with fears, not giving in to them, and remaining positive with myself. I'm also taking Vitamin B, and eating as much of a GI diet as I can.

It's only been a week and a half I know, but I was hoping for more progress by now. I'm much better at not freaking out now... most days I tell myself "Oh it's just anxiety, it'll go away eventually." (I have to tell myself like 100 times a day probably).

For some reason my anxiety is always highest in the morning. And this morning it's gotten me a bit down.

Is it right to kind of just be waiting? I told myself "It's like a scab. You can't expect to cut yourself and then heal instantly -- it takes time!" But is this true, or am I deluding myself?

Should I be seeing more progress by now?

Any insights would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Tim.

Christine2
21-09-05, 15:40
Hi Tim

I can totally identify with you - I am the same - one worry is over/resolved and I find something else to stress about. I almost constantly feel uptight! I have heard lots of people recommend reading Claire Weekes books and I bought one yesterday and have only read one chapter but already feel like she wrote the book specially for me. Its called Essential help for the Nerves. There are a few posts on here re her books. I also feel tingly often - very scary but at least this website makes you feel less alone with the problem.

Try the book and good luck!

Meg
21-09-05, 15:41
**It's only been a week and a half I know, but I was hoping for more progress by now. I'm much better at not freaking out now... most days I tell myself "Oh it's just anxiety, it'll go away eventually." (I have to tell myself like 100 times a day probably).**

You're doing really very well. I have never seen all symptoms vanish over a couple of weeks. You will continue to improve steadily.

*For some reason my anxiety is always highest in the morning* This is entirely the normal pattern.

*Is it right to kind of just be waiting? I told myself "It's like a scab. You can't expect to cut yourself and then heal instantly -- it takes time!" But is this true, or am I deluding myself?*

Its true.. You're doing great.

Keep doing what you're doing and keep reassuring yourself - its fine.

Meg
www.anxietymanagementltd.com

Your anxiety is the human representation of the pictures that you paint using your many vivid colours of revolving and reoccurring thoughts.
How big is your gallery ?

tracyp584
21-09-05, 15:58
Hey Flithm,

Welcome to the site! You will find lots of advice and support here.

Sometimes it does feel like progress is slow, but by doing little bits at a time, you steadily improve.

Take care,

tracy x x

Elaine1
21-09-05, 16:14
Hi Tim

Sorry to hear you feel your having a bad time at the moment.

I think possibly you are being a little hard on yourself. I suppose we would all like to wake up and feel everything is back to normal, but from what I am beginning to understand it is a case of small steps one at a time and building on that progress.

In your post you talked of many positive things that you have achieved over the last week and a half, perhaps without even realising it yourself!

If you focus on them, you will see how far you have come in a short time.

I have been told to keep a diary of how I feel each day, the positives and negatives and it has surprised me overall how many positives there have been! Perhaps this might help you - Just an idea.

Try not to be too hard on yourself.

Hoping you have a better day.

Best wishes

Elaine

flithm
28-09-05, 06:51
I just wanted to say thanks a lot for the responses and encouraging words. I didn't get a chance to respond until now, but it really helped at the time, and again now.

I know I can beat this... I just gotta keep on going.

Meg
28-09-05, 12:46
Good work Flithm

I like your scab theory - its so true