PDA

View Full Version : New member

ANXIETY26
21-09-05, 16:30
Hi

My names Paul Im 26 and from Wales. I've suffered with panic/anxiety form the age of fourteen. I was Agrophobic from the ages 14-16 but then somehow managed to overcome it. I managed to get a job and my confidence started to rocket. As you can see Im now 26 and the Panic/Anxiety/Agrophobia has returned with avengance. I've been on various medications (Cipramil/Effexor/Vallium) which I found have helped. I've been Anti-Depressant free now though for over four months and been on the slippery slope since. I've been off work for 10 months and cant see any light at the end of the tunnel. Hoping that I can find some good advice on here to dig myself out of this hole.

Karen
21-09-05, 16:41
Hi Paul

Welcome to the forum. Well done for overcoming the agoraphobia before and this shows that you can do it and will be able to get through this again.

Has anything happened recently to trigger off the anxiety and and panic again?

Have you had any help from a therapist? CBT would be beneficial. Other members have found the No Panic (http://www.nopanic.org.uk/menu.htm) telephone CBT course helpful. Take a look at Maxine's cbt progress. (http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/showthread.php?t=2308).

Also have a read through the First Steps (http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/default.asp?t=cms&c=firststeps) for more help on how to start to work your way through this.

You'll find a lot of help and support here.

Karen

It is not easy to find happiness in ourselves, and it is not possible to find it elsewhere.

ANXIETY26
21-09-05, 16:55
Hi Karen

Thanks for the advice and support.

Im currently having CBT but find that I cant respond to it very well at the moment. I've just picked up a prescription for Cipramil 10 mg but am a bit weary about taking them. Although I have taken them in the past and they turned my life around.

Im currently having relationship problems. I also have a 5 year old daughter who I hardly see through me suffering with this ilness. To be honest my life is a bit of a nightmare at the moment.

Paul

tracyp584
21-09-05, 17:22
Hey Paul,

Welcome to the site, you will find lots of good advice here and support. At least you know you have overcome problems in the past, and you will be able to do again.

I also am having cbt at the moment, and really am finding it useful. Stick with the CBT and slowly you should make some progress, and build on some of the confidence that it can bring.

Take care,

tracy x x

desperate
21-09-05, 17:59
Hi Paul.

I hope you can rise again, this may only be a little set back.

First Anxiety...then panic attacks...now GAD and depression

ANXIETY26
21-09-05, 18:04
Gee Whizz, you really do get support here dont you. Thanks!

I know I can beat this because last time I did I looked back and laughed. This time around it seems to be a lot harder though. Maybe it's because I have a lot more Issues and responsibility to deal with. Though I'd prefer to deal with those issues when Im better.

pinkscrumpy
21-09-05, 18:42
Hi Paul

A big warm welcome to you

love

MANDIE XX

Will I ever escape this?
Will I ever be free?
Wake me up from this nightmare.
Please just give me the key!

tammyg
21-09-05, 18:47
Hi Paul,

sounds like you know exactly how to go forward. *I know I can beat this because last time I did I looked back and laughed.* What a great attitude, you will laugh again!

Tam x

Barb
21-09-05, 19:55
Hi Paul
You can do this well done for getting over the agoraphobia I am working on that at the moment. You will get lots of help and support here everyone is so friendly

Love Barb xxxx

Karen
21-09-05, 20:03
Hi Paul

It does sound like you have a fair bit to cope with at present and the relationship troubles are probably not helping.

As others have said, stick with the CBT as this helps many people recover from anxiety and panic.

<b id="quote">quote:</b id="quote"><table border="0" id="quote"><tr id="quote"><td class="quote" id="quote">I've just picked up a prescription for Cipramil 10 mg but am a bit weary about taking them. Although I have taken them in the past and they turned my life around.
<div align="right">Originally posted by ANXIETY26 - 21 September 2005 : 16:55:21</div id="right">
</td id="quote"></tr id="quote"></table id="quote">
What is worrying you about taking the medication?

Karen

It is not easy to find happiness in ourselves, and it is not possible to find it elsewhere.

sueiamnew
21-09-05, 22:27
Welcome to the site Paul.

jill
22-09-05, 09:07
Hi Paul

WELCOME TO THE SITE :D

TAKE CARE

LOVE JILLXXX

When you fear something,
learn as much about it as you can.
Knowledge conquers fear.

Elaine1
22-09-05, 09:18
Hi Paul,

A big welcome to the site. You will find lots of support from people who understand and care here.

Well done for overcoming agrophobia.

'hoping that I can find some good advice on here to dig myself out of this hole' - recognising where you are is the first step.

Looking at a later post of yours.

2nd step - are currently having CBT - stick with it, I've just started myself and having read some of the posts on therapy it does seem to be very effective.

3rd step - prescription for cipramil - if it's helped before, it will probably help again!

All the above are positive steps for taking control and regaining confidence again, so there must be a chink of light at the end of your tunnel.

All I can say that might help, is accepting where you are currently, seeing what you have done to help so far and then beginning to take small steps at a time.

Take care

Elaine

Meg
22-09-05, 09:51
**I know I can beat this because last time I did I looked back and laughed. This time around it seems to be a lot harder though.**

Its not easy when you're in the midst at all but do take comfort that you did get over it before and can do so again.

Step by step.

Meg
www.anxietymanagementltd.com

Your anxiety is the human representation of the pictures that you paint using your many vivid colours of revolving and reoccurring thoughts.
How big is your gallery ?

trac67
22-09-05, 09:53
Hi Paul,
Welcome to the forum, I have done a CBT course for health anxiety and it really did turn me around, so stick with it, you will start to see the light at the end of the tunnel, it is there, its just sometimes the tunnel is a bit longer for some people than others.
Take care
Trac xx

its "just a thought"

kazo
22-09-05, 10:21
Hi paul

Welcome to this site.

Lots of nice people and advice here

Kazo

pips
22-09-05, 11:45
Hi Paul,

A big warm welcome to you. I hope the site helps you.

Take Care,

Love PIP'S X X

clickaway
22-09-05, 12:28
<b id="quote">quote:</b id="quote"><table border="0" id="quote"><tr id="quote"><td class="quote" id="quote">Gee Whizz, you really do get support here dont you. Thanks!

</td id="quote"></tr id="quote"></table id="quote">

Yeah, Paul - this site is fabulous! So glad you found us :D

Ray

And when you get the choice to sit it out or dance, I hope you dance.
~Mark Sanders and Tia Sillers

michelleann
22-09-05, 13:13
hi paul
welcome to the site:D
it really is helpful here, and to know your not alone is big help in itself.
take care
michelle xxx

Sue K with 5
22-09-05, 15:20
Hi Paul

Welcome to NMP!

I have been an agoraphobia sufferer for 19 years now! a long time, but I like you managed to combat it although additional issues attached themselves over a long and diffilcult period in my life and my agoraphobia and anxiety came back with a vengeance four years ago.

I did councelling for three of those years and went on anti d's which I am still taking, but I am now having CBT.

Last week I made a huge development by taking steps to go to a scholl reunion and I was out for five hours, admittedly it was not easy but I did it and you can combat this again to, I am far from out of the woods but I am on the road to recovery and that to me is a huge achievement of which I am so porud of myself for!

You will deal with this again just like you did before and as the saying goes that which does not do us in makes us stronger !

Take care and come and chat with us anytime you need to

Sue with 5

scknight

chucklehound
22-09-05, 16:05
:)
Hi Paul,

Welcome to the forum. I believe that you can get over this again as you
have done before. Good Luck!!

seh1980
22-09-05, 18:53
Welcome aboard!! :D