PDA

View Full Version : STILL SOOO SCARED OF MISSED HEARTBEATS-LOADS AGAIN

linjane
21-09-05, 17:20
Hi,

I'm sure you're all sick of reading about my constant posts about my fear of the missed/ectopic heartbeat thing, but I really can't stop being scared of them and wish I could find a way to learn to accept them.

For example, today at work, totally out of the blue I felt them come on. Right in the middle of my chest I could feel the missing beat. I hadn't done anything to bring them on at all......If I'm not feeling the missing beat, I feel like my heart is fluttering and sometimes when I check my pulse at these times, it is beating IRREGULARLY. These are not like palpitations where you feel your heart pounding and beating faster.

I would just like to hear from others who suffer from these too. Also, is it really not doing me any damage getting them daily?? I have had them for over three years now and had all the usual tests three years ago.

I am sorry to go on about this again, but I'm sure if I could conquer this fear I would be on my way to conquering my anxiety.

Love,
Linda.xxx

Quirky
21-09-05, 17:49
Hi Linda,
I'm sorry I can't be a huge help as I don't get exactly the same symptoms but as you know I do get heart symptoms and get myself scared from time to time.
I'm not bored of hearing you mention this several times, you were kind enough to keep relying to my repetitive posts, and I understand how you feel.
From what I know about missed beats they can't hurt you even if you have several every day. If they were harmful your doctor would have said in the past and as you said you have been checked out in the past. Are you being checked out again now you're pregnant? I think I remember you saying somewhere that you might be?
The only way to stop being scared is to accept them as being annoying but harmless and try and ignore them when they happen. I know that is so easy to say and so hard to do. I really think CBT would help you so much Linda. Is there any chance of you having CBT?
Anyway thinking of you, big hugs,
Love Lisa x

ANXIETY26
21-09-05, 18:08
Hi Linda,

Hope I can be of help to you here. I am someone who has constanty listened to my heartbeat for as long as I can remember. If it skipped a beat I thought I was about to die or something :) It was'nt until I started CBT and I mentioned it to my Community Psychiatric nurse that I realised that it wasnt a normal thing to do. I thought everybody done it , duh! :) My challenge was to go the whole of the next day without listening out for it. Boy did I find it weird. It was like quitting smoking, wanting a fag but knowing you should'nt really.

NANAX10
21-09-05, 18:34
Hi Linda!

Hope I'll be of some help here. I am a 58 year old woman who has had palpitations the hard kind that wound me up in the ER a couple of months ago. Dr. said they were all 'benign' and for me not to worry. Well, I've had them everyday for the past month. Don't know if I have them when I'm sleeping because so far they have never interrupted my sleep, but I know how SCARED you are! I have been trying not to obsess about them as my Dr. says they are stress related (even though I have days where there is no stress, least I don't think I am)! How old are you? Could this be peri-menopause? They say some times hormones will do this to you. DO KNOW that I've had them all this time that I've just decided not to let them get the best of me and to go with my life. Funny thing is, when I'm BUSY I don't even feel them. Even walking for 30 minutes doesn't even bother them. I'm hoping that they'll eventually go out of my life! If you want to PM feel free to.

Kathy

KATHY LYNCH

Piglet
21-09-05, 18:51
Hi Linda,

You know that I'm with you on this one.

I do get all the symptoms like you, with all the different varieties but more in patches like for say a few weeks or very occasionally a couple of months and have done consistently over the last 6 years.

I think that is down to the treatment I have had from my Gp. When it happens and we discuss it I do genuinely feel reassured. When I am truly reassured the fear goes, then slowly they disapear because I really have lost my fear of them for that time.

They return again as my anxiety levels rise (even if I'm not thinking I'm anxious) and so I ask again. This time I also have Meg for reassurance.

May I make two suggestions, firstly when you have your appointment on the 27th, make it very clear to the consultant the extent these symptoms are bothering you (like Meg has said before, make the most of this opportunity for some top advice). Secondly if having had the advice that all is fine then consider the CBT to see if you can get your head around it.

Also I once printed off a post Meg sent me and kept reading it for days which really helped.

I had a few missed beats last week out of the blue but applied what Meg had said about seeing them as annoying sneezes and it didn't spoil my day then.

Truly empathise with you here as its hard to feel ok when you are not reassured.

A big fat squeeze and please tell us how it goes on Tues - I know its the obstetric guy rather than a cardiologist but still interested in what he has to say.

Love Piglet xxx:)

linjane
22-09-05, 07:30
Hi,
Thanks for the replies.

Kathy - I'm 38 and I did wonder, a while ago, if the missed beats could be a very early sign of the menopause, but don't know if you've realised, I'm 3 and a half months pregnant now.....not quite in menopause yet!!! Seriously, I do think hormones could have something to do with them, but I did hope when I found out I was pregnant, that the pregnancy hormones would somehow be different and I wouldn't get them anymore. Never mind.

Lisa and Piglet - Thanks for your support again!!!!! How boring am I, why I can't I find a new symptom to be scared of LOL!!!!! I will discuss everything next week with my obstetric consultant and also tell him about my fears re the caesarean and what might happen if I get missed beats then. I am worried they will become more harmful during the operation, especially if I'm as scared as I'm expecting to be.

Anyway, today not started of too bad, but its early yet. The tiredness seems to have passed and has been replaced with me hardly sleeping. At least I now have more energy and don't feel so washed out, even though I'm hardly having any sleep. Strange what pregnancy does to you.

The other thing that worries me about the missed beats I get, is that they come when I'm occupied as well. I can be busy and notice them, yet others seem to say they don't get them when they've got other things on their mind?

Oh well, I'll shut up now.
Speak to you all later,
Love, Linda.xxx

Piglet
22-09-05, 09:37
<b id="quote">quote:</b id="quote"><table border="0" id="quote"><tr id="quote"><td class="quote" id="quote">
The other thing that worries me about the missed beats I get, is that they come when I'm occupied as well. I can be busy and notice them, yet others seem to say they don't get them when they've got other things on their mind?

<div align="right">Originally posted by linjane - 22 September 2005 : 07:30:04</div id="right">
</td id="quote"></tr id="quote"></table id="quote">

If I'm getting them, then no I can get them busy or not busy same as you.

Have a good day mate.

Love Piglet x

Quirky
22-09-05, 11:15
I get symptoms even when I'm distracted too, you're not alone in that.

Hope today is better for you Linda,

Love Lisa x

dizzyd
23-09-05, 19:13
Hi Linda, Your missed-beat buddy! Yup - I get them out of the blue and every day. I can wake up with them, be watching TV and have a series of them, they can last minutes or go on for 'ever' I can have them on and off all day or miss them for weeks there is no way I can predict them. I can have had a stressfree day and be totally relaxed and 'wallop' off they go...... bump,bump, pause quick bump, bump, long pause and so on. Like your GP has told you, I have been reassured they will not harm me. They do not cause any undue stress to your heart. Please be reassured by me Linda. I know exactly what they are like.
Love Dawn x

Cinders4
24-09-05, 15:03
Hi Lin Jane, I also get what I think are the misse bats, sometimes it just feels like its stopped or a bubble is passing through, others its a real wallop and feels like someone has squeezed my heart just for a second... Its really bizzarre but so many people get these kind of symptons it must be normal!!!!!

Im a heart watcher, pulse taker etc etc but quite good at the moment, but pregnanvy did make me more aware than ever as to what was going on.......

xxxxxxx

Tulip
25-09-05, 08:09
Hi, I know how scary this is and how difficult it is to ignore. I get it in little bursts-nothing for weeks and then that feeling as if a bubble is popping in your heart and then the palpitations kick in. (no doubt cos I've started to worry and obsess about it) For some reason i find it worse when I am lying down and turn on my side. Bizarre! Have had things checked out and all seems ok, but have also taken comfort from the posts on here from fellow sufferers.
Hope you can begin to believe that what you are feeling is normal. Keep reading these posts for reassurance!
Good luck :)

mum2four
25-09-05, 08:35
I get the fluttering in the cheat and the feeling like my heart is not beating right and I also get the strong heart palpataion that I can feel with ease in my cheat I had missed heart beat's a fue time the first time was when I was pregnant with my first child at 17y and i was vacuming and my heart was beating real fast then stopped for a fue beat's then went back to a slow beat.

I had trouble with fatigue big time which is often connected with my all the above. I use to get worried about why my heart was being silly but now I just get real frustrated with cause it start to happen just from one image in my head or one thought will cause the reaction to start. The other strangest thing I get is that I cant sleep during the day at all or I will wake up with fluttering and a shacky feeling threw out my body that can be so bad that i feel like my arm is too heavy to pick up. I find a cup of tea and simple healthy snack will subside the feeling's but it take up to hour to kick in but if i dont have the snack and cup of tea the feelling will not subside for hour's the feeling has even effect me most of day. Before I was treated for depression for the second time it was interfering with my day to day life so bad that i couldn't stay standing for long and even holding a remote control seemed like a task. Over time I came to realised that exercise and limiting suger intake really had a positvive effect on theses feeling that really had a hold me but I suffered prety bad for about 3year's and it started when my yougest daughter was about 1y and I had 2 other kids to deal with as well i think it all started due to living with my sister and lthe job I had the lost but continued for a 1000 other reason's. No mater what cause's the feeling or when thay happen I try to ignore it but it can so hard.

lin
25-09-05, 14:17
Hi Linda

My missed beats seem to come and go, for a few days i've had none at all but while i was watching tv this morning (25th) i had a few just out the blue had to feel my pulse which i hate doing, so i had to get up and do something to make them go.

Like you i still get scared when i have them but have to cope with them the best way we can It's amazing the amount of sufferers there are with this problem there seams to be more and more i try to feel reasured when i read them but it can be hard.

Do u have a lot of stress in your life? that tends to bring them on alot more. When i get tense mine seam to appear more so i try not to.

take care hun

linda xx

linjane
26-09-05, 06:57
Hi everyone,
Thanks for all the messages and the support. I haven't been around on here for a few days because I was fed up of going on about the same thing and I keep thinking you're all fed up of me going on about them too!!!! Anyway, I did sign on yesterday afternoon, replied to post and got kicked off by AOL before I had time to post....REALLY ANNOYING!!!!

Anyway, I haven't had a bad few days, until yesterday. I was just about ready to go off round the shops with the kids - looking at carpets and soft furnishings, nice stuff not supermarket shopping, still get that from Tesco on-line - when I had a coupld of missed beats and from then on, I had loads for about two hours. While I was driving, while in shops, wherever. They scared me, but I didn't let them beat me and tried to focus on what I was doing and after a couple of hours realised they'd gone again. I wish I could find a way of getting rid of the fear of them, but I just don't know how.

I've got my consultant appt. tomorrow, so I can discuss all of my fears then and see if he thinks I need to be referred to cardiologist or not. In general, I'm feeling better. The tiredness has passed and been replaced by loads of energy, although I'm not sleeping much. I wake two or three times a night now and find it hard to get back to sleep and then I'm up early most mornings. I just hope the lack of sleep doesn't suddenly catch up with me. I am constantly worrying about the caesarean and I can't get that fear out of my head either, even though I try to change the thought to after, when we have a new baby.

Hi Dawn, Lovely to hear from you again, hope you're doing ok.

Hi Lin, Lovely to hear from you too. My life is the same as ever if you remember me....we sometimes e-mail each other - the two Linda's with the same symptoms!!! At the moment my husband had been home a lot more, since he gave up his windows job. He had tried going back to the markets but it wasn't what we thought it would be. We have struggled moneywise for a few months and I've had to let my business suffer to pay bills at home, but he starts a new job next week, which will hopefully sort us out. Only problem is, he will work very long hours again and sometimes nights. The difference with this job though, is he is paid hourly not on commission so at least what work he does do he is paid for, and that was why I used to get so worked up about his last job. I know its going to be harder again though, because I'd got used to him being around at home more but we had to decide what to do for the best and getting a 'proper' job was that, so I'll have to cope.

Oh well, might as well make the most of early morning and get some jobs done.

Speak to you all soon,
Love, Linda.xxx

Meg
26-09-05, 17:22
**They scared me, but I didn't let them beat me and tried to focus on what I was doing and after a couple of hours realised they'd gone again**

They scared you but you managed to not notice that they'd gone.. somewhere along there the fear had left too..

Well done Linda.

Look forward to hearing how you get on tomorrow- go prepared with questions and your diary of events.

Meg
www.anxietymanagementltd.com

Your anxiety is the human representation of the pictures that you paint using your many vivid colours of revolving and reoccurring thoughts.
How big is your gallery ?

linjane
26-09-05, 17:41
Hi again,

Thanks Meg.

Todays not been very good. After a promising start my mind started wondering and while doing household stuff this morning I started to let my mind go into overdrive about the caesarean and got myself into a right state. I had the shakes for about an hour and a half then the missed beats started and haven't let up all day. I just don't seem to have any break from them lately and they really do scare me and I also know that my negative thinking just isn't helping.

I couldn't wait to be able to sign on here today and hope that someone replies quickly.

Linda.x

linjane
26-09-05, 18:58
Sorry to be a pain, but I'm still having the missed beats every so often since I last posted and I did the wrong thing by searching on the internet, which just scared me all the more.

PLEASE PLEASE CAN SOMEONE REASSURE ME THAT EVEN THOUGH I GET THESE THINGS DAILY THEY ARE NOT HARMFUL.

I am such a wreck.
Linda.x:(

alley
27-09-05, 02:47
Hi there. I'm pretty new to this sight so I hope I post this correctly. I am several months into having the missed beats and I am doing much better. They do seem to come and go and some days are worse than others. I was so worried about them I ended up in the ER. To make a long story short I've had many doctor appointments, EKG, echocardiogram and I've seen a cardiologist. After all of these appointments and spending lots of money I feel more confident than ever that they are just a nuisance and nothing to be afraid of. MUCH easier said than done but once I accepted that they were just obnoxious and would not do me harm then they seemed to mellow out a little. Every doctor I've talked to seem to think they are no big deal and this has made me feel much better. Just know that you are not alone--a lot of people suffer from this. My cardiologist did say if they bother me too much you can take medication that would make them go away but he didn't seem to think it's necessary--just for peace of mind.

Shay1213
27-09-05, 04:23
I often get these fluttering sensations as well...When working, or doing something to keep me busy, or even trying to sleep at night. I was told it was probably due to gas, or stress...Well these past few days I've been doing amazingly well with the whole anxiety thing...and the flutters had started up again. I questioned how I could get these flutters when feeling no stress at all, thinking that it is possible that I'm sick and yadda yadda. So many people get these flutters. You just have to try to convince yourself one thing...I read in a book called "Overcoming Anxiety for dummes" which has actually helped me a lot. They came up with one good thing that has helped me cope better these past few days. We're all big worriers. Especially with our health...but worrying about our health will not change a thing... It will not keep us from ever getting sick, itll only make things worse for us and make us feel more sick...It is hard for us to accept the ways of life, and for us to even imagine coping if we were to ever get ill...but we're all strong. I feel I have grown a lot these past few days because I have fought this anxiety nightly...these chest flutters aren't so bothersome anymore, because I wont allow it to be. You'll be ok Lin...you'll be ok because I'm ok, and shes ok and hes ok and all the people who have posted on here is ok...Don't let your mind take over...live your life...forget about the fear...its not worth it...its hard to convince yourself, but just remind yourself...even for a minute if you can that it isn't worth it and that you're alright, and soon enough you'll believe it and soon enough you'll be better for having believed it...I'm here for you if you need to talk...I have plenty to say :)
Take care love.

~Shannon~

Gilly Bean
27-09-05, 12:18
Hello. These heart beats and flutters etc CANNOT and WILL NOT hurt you in any way. They are horrible and even though I have conquered my anxiety I do still get the odd one of these and yes they do make you sit up and take notice of them, but please do not give them any credibility and eventually they will not bother you as they are bothering you now. Take care. Gilly xxxxxxx :)

Piglet
27-09-05, 14:49
Hi Linda,

How did you get on with your appt today????

Love Piglet xx

PS: I'm on the waiting list for the NOpanic telephone course at the moment too.

Quirky
27-09-05, 17:26
Hi Linda,
Thinking of you. Hope today went well.
Lisa x

linjane
27-09-05, 18:15
Hi everyone,

Hospital visit went well, thankyou. Consultant is really nice and down to earth and I was actually seen by my consultant and not his deputy. They did my blood pressure, which was high at first as I expected it to be as I had got worked work, but then my consultant did it again after he had talked to me and it had come down a bit. A midwife listened to my baby's heartbeat and although it wouldn't keep still, she assured it the baby was fine at it is very active!!!

My consultant has done his best to calm me down about everything. He sees no reason for me to see a cardiologist, he doesn't seem worried by my missed beats at all (which I was more like him LOL) and he has told me I'll be fine after the caesarean and it'll all be over in half an hour! He doesn't think I'll need any extra scans providing everything goes well and he has booked me in for the caesarean for 24th March! All in all it was a very good appointment and he has told me if I'm every worried to just turn up to any of his clinics. Apart from that I won't need to go back till 14th March for final check up before the birth.

Today hasn't been too bad overall. I was busy when I went back to work and feel ok at the moment.

Hope you're all doing ok.
Take care,
Love, Linda.x

Meg
27-09-05, 18:43
Glad it went so well Lin

Thats all very good news and great that he offered you the option of the drop in clinic too.

Meg

Your anxiety is the human representation of the pictures that you paint using your many vivid colours of revolving and reoccurring thoughts.

Quirky
27-09-05, 18:47
That's great news Linda, glad it went so well. I hope you feel more reassured now.
Lisa x

NANAX10
27-09-05, 19:23
Linda,

I'm writing you again because I can 'feel' your anxiety. I wrote to you a few posts ago and I'm still having palpitations. It's been 32 days now and I'm still here! I do agree that they are scary but you have to use positive thinking. 'I've had them all this time, I'm still here, they haven't hurt me and so I'm going to go about my business'. Believe me, I know how hard that is, but you can do it (promise). Then you can always add 'if I'm really worried, I'll just make an appointment with the Dr'. This I have learned from Cognitive Behavorial Therapy. Some days I just have to ignore the palps. I do admit if I let my obsessive mind worry, then I get very anxious and of course that makes the palps worse. Try to relax, do some deep breathing. You can PM me anytime if you wish. I hope I've helped you some.

Kathy

KATHY LYNCH

Piglet
28-09-05, 09:51
Oh that's so reassuring Linda.

Great!!!

Love Piglet :)

angieb
28-09-05, 10:16
Linda - Heartfelt (excuse the pun!) congratulations - I am so very happy for you. Have not been on for a while but your news really brought a smile to my face.

take care, big hug...Angie

linjane
28-09-05, 18:42
Hi,

Thanks for everyones good wishes. I'm sure I can feel the baby moving myself now, its a bit like my missed beats, but in my belly - a nice sensation for once!!!!

Had quite a good day today, although last night when i went to bed I had loads of missing beats even though I'd had hardly any all day??? weird????

Angie, So nice to hear from you and thanks for your kind thoughts - a BIG HUG BACK TO YOU.

Love, Linda.xxx

Sue K with 5
28-09-05, 18:59
Hi Lin

I hope the pregnancy is going well ? I too get them and I know they are scary but I have been assured so many times by my GP that they are quite normal and not damaging - I do understand where you are coming from though!

Try to relax and when you do get them, dont panic just take deep breath and keep going ! Hopefully once you get into the second trimester of your pregancy you will be too busy to notice them !

Good luck and take care

Sue with 5

scknight

linesman
28-09-05, 20:32
Hi,

i've suffered with the awful skipped beats for a number of years, they still scare but its something i've leanred to live with. Blood tests, ecg came back normal, cardiologist is unconcerned, says he says about a 1/3 of his patients with these ectopic beats..... Hang in there, it gets easier, i've been having them non-stop for the past hour or so can totally empathise with you..

raffisx
04-10-05, 02:59
Hey linjane

I have had this skip beats for years ~10 years , i have gone to doctors and physiologists and they have told me it is Anxiety related , Think of it this way if you had a serious problem you will not be discussing it with us today , ( that’s what my doctor told me ) , next try breathing techniques , breath slowly through your nose and let the air pass from your mouth but do it slow .
My palps come and go, it still freaks me out when it happens, you will usually find when you are busy with something like talking to someone or concentrating on other things you do not get the palps only when you are relaxed and your mind has nothing to do AND that’s when they come back.
So relax and don't worry about it I suggest you look into Cognitive therapy this also helps
:D

BrandyK
04-10-05, 05:25
I also get symptoms that pop right out of the blue and they really scare me too... But I dont think of them and they do go away!

Brandy

"Dance like nobody's watching; love like you've never been hurt. Sing like nobody's listening; live like it's heaven on earth." -- Mark Twain

SherryL
04-10-05, 22:29
Hi all,
I'm new here. I am going through an awful time.. I've been terrified of skipped and racing heartbeats for decades.. gone through sooo many tests. Yes, I have premature beats and this and that , nothing life threatening I'm told. Last week, I was sure I was dying. this went on for DAYS not the "discrete 20 minutes or so" that people say panic attacks take place during.. my blood pressure went from low to high... resting pulse 130. skips, felt like i was passing out. ended up in an emergency visit with a well known , very nice cardiologist and heart rhythm expert. he said i have severe anxiety disorder, prescribed klonopin. only taking a small amount and all it has done is make me sleepy and depressed. I am so scared. I can't stop thinking something terrible is wrong and docs have not found it. DOES ANYONE HAVE SORT OF MINI- FAINTY spells? I don't faint but I will momentarily have this " all out " feeling, not necessarily associated with the heart skips, although it can be, and i feel like I"m going to pass out, but i never have. I am so scared. any words of wisdom or help would be appreciated. i can hardly go on like this. Blessings to all, Sherry

Meg
04-10-05, 22:42
Hi Sherry,

These palpitations do cause the most horendous stress which of course just makes it all worse but if you have had every test and seen the specialists at some point you have to 'let go' .

*I can't stop thinking something terrible is wrong * This is soo common, but our thoughts are very often wrong ones.

Meg

J9NZ
06-10-05, 00:24
Hi guys

Really interesting reading what everyone says on these forums - nice to be able to read that some people have the same symptoms I have.

I too have been getting "missed beats" or ectopics for a few months - huge increase in the last couple of months, like you LinJane I'm pregnant too and I hear that these missed beats sensation increase in pregnancy due to hormones, etc. Great ay.

Anyway - I had an event monitor yesterday which records any episode you feel straight away and had it assessed by a cardiologist and a technician and both say that they're completely normal and it happens to "everyone" at some time. Not exactly reassuring when they happen to yourself.

Also I'm not a great fan of the "stress" brings them on as I don't consider myself to be a stressful person. I do know that gentle exercise like walking etc helps immensley and even standing up from your desk while working (or whatever) and walking around for even 5 minutes helps.

Anyhoo - hope that's a help to someone out there and hope to "speak" to you guys more soon.

J9NZ

jilguero
11-10-05, 16:36
Hi I am new here and have suffered from missed beats and palpitations on and off for about 15 years. I have had all the usual tests and was told nothing to worry about ignore it, I found this site today and for the first time realised it could be caused by anxiety, I do not consider myself to be anxious at all and do not find that the missed beats appear more frequent when I know I am worried about something, however on Thursday I am taking my driving test for the first time at the age of 52!!! and would be interested to know if anyone out there has any idea how I can stay calm and positive ( I am already in a state and it is only Tuesday!!) upto and through the test, I have bought something called Rescue Remedy from the health shop, does anyone know if it works or can you recommend anything else. I know I can pass the test if my nerves don't get in the way. HELP only 2 days to go

Meg
11-10-05, 19:49
Good luck Jill on Thursday.

Have answered your RR question on your other post.

Meg

lin
16-10-05, 16:42
hi linjane

I have had my missed beats back for the last couple of days they are not to bad though i'm trying not to let them worry me as worrying can make them worse

lin xx

jue69
20-10-05, 10:34

christian
29-10-05, 01:12
You're not boring. Your symptoms are boring.

All it takes for me is that one thump and I slowly spiral into a days-long spell of intense anxiety, but eventually they pass. It used to happen more often but recently it's just when I get stressed.

I generally have the feeling that listening to the symptoms gives them a power they don't merit. You just have to remind yourself "I know who it is knocking on the door. It's that annoying Mr. Jenkins I've talked to before and I'm not going to answer the door because he's an obnoxious baffoon."

jbhodgki
13-11-06, 20:50
I have had a missed heartbeat problem since 1991. After seeing all kind of specialists, I came to the conclusion that none of them really knew what I was talking about. Skipping the history and getting to the heart (sorry about that), of the matter. I find that the problem has two parts, one is certainly anxiety, even if I don't feel any, it is there in the background. The second which the doctors deny, is a stomach problem. I found by accident that in a major attack, simple antacids made a heck of a difference. Alka seltzer, or gaviscon will do the trick. To really work on the problem, I had to change my eating habits. I used to overeat, I stopped that. I used to eat very quickly, without chewing food. I stopped that. I used to drink a lot of acid drinks, white or red wine, beer etc. I cut them down. Eventually my doctor came round to my way of thinking and prescribed more potent antacids of the Parriet type. Hey presto, control at last.

cazza
14-11-06, 10:22
Hi I feel that mine are related to stomach gas you were lucky to find a doctor that agrees they can cause them every one i have seen does not agree!

rosebud
14-11-06, 14:09
i have to agree. i notice my stomach gurgling a lot when i have them.
i wondered if it could be related now i'me beginning to think so. i overbreathe a lot so i'me swallowing alot of air and i am sure this makes them worse and of course the anxiety that they cause.
traceyxxx

Hexia
14-11-06, 21:31
Someone on this forum once directed me to this site http://www.resonancedirect.com/cgi-bin/board/YaBB.pl
Under the topic Heart Palpitations a doctor has written a 6-part 101 on heart palpitations.

This is a doctor who specialises in heart disease, and I have to say he explains these ectopics very well and is very reasuring.

"You can't yell loud enough to make me shut up."

baxwalker
14-11-06, 22:55
I have suffered this unpleasant problem for around 4 years now. What i have noticed is that if I eat a large or stodgy/filling meal, I am far more aware of what my ticker is doing.

I may be wrong, but I think that when your stomach is very full it pushes against where your heat is, so you are more aware of it's activities.

I now try to avoid large meals and eat little and often etc.

Just a thought.

John

sherma
07-12-06, 17:56
PLEASE HELP ME. I am desparate to find the reason why I am having ectopic and trigeminy heartbeats when I am asleep. I am totally relaxed then so why should they come when your asleep?? I can understand the problem when I'm awake, but for example last night I had to sleep sitting up to stop them. This has only just started over the last few weeks, but I am so tired now, and so scared to go to bed. PLEASE anyone help me, I take valium to calm me down but that seems to have no effect.

juicyluce
07-12-06, 19:31
i get them busy or not - completely out of the blue - even when i think im having a "good day"

gloucestershire_girl
13-12-06, 17:32
Me too busy or not, i hate it when i am having a 'good day' and then they come.....grrrr!!!! Sherma - it could be a delayed reaction.... some sort of build up of adreneline maybe

Stu M
14-12-06, 11:34
I get them at any time, whether Im in a good mood or not.

I just keep trying to tell myself they cant hurt me. I hope one day to convince myself. I will not give up!!!

Stu

angie3077
14-12-06, 15:29
Hi Sherma, its right...you do get hem even when you are not really feeling anxious....its just one of those things. Its hard I know.
Just one question though, do you suffer with heartburn/reflux/indigestion?.....just curious as you said you had to sit up to go to sleep to stop the missed beats. I have suffered with the missed beats for years now and I know when I have acid/heartburn along with them they can be a lot worse and sometimes - like you said, it helps to sit upright.

Angie

MGBreva
15-12-06, 00:36
Hi, I have been suffering from palps for 7 months now, finally seen cardioligist who has done basic tests, also 24 hour monitor, recorder for several days and ultra sound. I have not had results yet but he said he strongly suspects there is nothing wrong with my heart its all due to anxiety. He also said that missed heart beats are not actually missed beats at all, but an extra beat, like two beats almost together. The second one generated by the bottom part of the heart rather than the upper part. Because the heart has the instant extra beat it pauses very quickly to go back into its normal rythm, so the pause feels like a missed beat. He said its all harmless although he understands its frightening to the person, he says try not focus on it and it will pass, if you focus on it the palps may last longer then you run a risk of going into a panic attack. He concluded that he could or my GP prescribe beta blockers, but he would rather try to avoid those due to side effects, tiredness etc... Mine seem to have subsided recently, I has some on Tuesday this week but before then it was a week ago. several weeks ago i was having them several times a day every day lasting up to an hour at a time on and off...scary....sent me into panic attacks that then made me worse. Hopefully my meds are now helping, been back on sertraline 50mg now for 9 weeks.

cheers

Dave

cazza
15-12-06, 15:01
Hi I to have been suffering with these missed beats for 7 months and get my results in january. I am so frightened by these i know how you feel . Mine also stop and go into a funny rythum sometimes these are the ones that really frighten me! My doctor says its stress and anxiety but to be honest i didnt feel stressed and anxxious till i had these! i have had only one day without them for 7 months!
take care carol

shaz01
06-02-07, 23:25
Hi there,

Is anyone around?? I was told about this site today from a friend. I have suffered on and off for many years however they have been bad for the last few months, I try so hard not to get frightened by them but every time they start I feel my body going into panic mode. Mines tend to go haywire and they absolutely terrify me. I had a 24hr monitor years ago but nothing showed up. I hate the fact that they control your life. Reading all the other postings shows how many others are going through the same thing.

Shaz x

Scarlett
07-02-07, 02:56
I have had "skipped beats" since my early teens. I have been through the work ups and everything has come back fine. Many of my friends and family members get them as well. With that said, it doesn't seem to make them any less scary! I have found that certain factors influence the skipped beats: anxiety (obviously!), caffeine and msg. My doctor also said that they are common when people have a full stomach. I find that I commonly get them when I am cold-although I have yet to find people who experience the same problem. Either way, the skipped beats are awful and very scary. I wish I could stop worrying about it...

cazza
07-02-07, 10:40
Hi scarlett go to tjis site it will really help you carol x
http://rlr.qersys.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl

shaz01
07-02-07, 17:04
Hi there....I was interested in what you said Scarlett cause I am exactly the same, the cold makes me worse...also if I have eaten a big dinner!!! I suppose anxiety is the biggest factor although with me its not always during the 'anxious' period but after!!!! then theres the hormones.....!!!!!!!
Shaz x

shaz01
07-02-07, 17:12
Hi there....I was interested in what you said Scarlett cause I am exactly the same, the cold makes me worse...also if I have eaten a big dinner!!! I suppose anxiety is the biggest factor although with me its not always during the 'anxious' period but after!!!! then theres the hormones.....!!!!!!!
Shaz x

Scarlett
08-02-07, 05:02
Thanks for the link Cazza! Hi Shaz, finally I found someone who gets the skipped beats from the cold and I totally agree with you about the hormones!!

shaz01
09-02-07, 16:36
Just me again, some mornings when I wake up I think I can tell if I am going to have a 'bad' day, I think thats weird, does anyone else feel like that? I sometimes think that maybe these are just mornings that I am focusing on it more therefore I am going to get the dodgy heartbeats or is it really the case that I can feel 'off' or 'odd' from first thing in the day?? Then what happens is I tend to have a bout where it goes haywire, then I feel it may settle down but because I am then totally stressed and panicked then I feel yuk for the rest of the day!!!!

Let me know your thoughts,

Shaz x

Shelly
09-02-07, 20:16
Hi, kind of sounds like my situation at times. I have what is called atrial fibrillation, a benign heart arrythmia, however benign as it is, it is very scary. My heart "flutters", definite irregularity. Have you been through a stress test, echo or stress-echo? All of mine came out fine, it's just an abnormal heart rhythm occasionally but won't kill you. Hard to believe, I know, when it happens to you. Try to relax, I know how hard that is, I'm struggling with intest anxiety now, don't quite know why, I'm very shaky, spacey, etc. Hope this helps.

shaz01
09-02-07, 22:31
Hi Shelly, I had an ecg and a 24 hr monitor a couple of years ago but nothing was picked up, would it have picked up the condition you have??

Shaz x

stumpy
21-12-08, 12:57
hi
etopic beats are horrible l have had them for about four years nowand the only thing that has helped is beta blockers . but they can make you feel tired . they dont take them away but they do subdue them. l have had all the tests done on my heart and also blood tests and no problems have shown up. some times l get bad attacks for no reason and they can last for a few days , so scary.l dont have caffiene and also more then two units of alcohol can make it worse .... bad news .Also excersise can make it worse but it does get better after a while . hope this helps.We are not alone

helen_1
21-12-08, 13:08
the missed beats were the start of anxiety and panic attacks for me and that was nearly 10 years ago i felt them all the time and i was constantly scared with them but nothing bad ever happened to me like i said that was 10 years ago i still feel them every now and then but i dont worry so much about them i went to my docs and he said the more worried i am about them the more i will get them i noticed the longer i had them the less likely it was to be serious i know it is harder said than done but please dont worry over them or maybe talk to your doctor about them to put my mind at rest all them years ago i had a 24 hour heart trace and again it was just ectopic heartbeats which everyone gets them but not everyone feels them they are harmless i hope you feel better soon xxx

ciaralouise15
21-12-08, 14:47
My dad is a paramedic so im reassured when this happens to me. missed heartbeats most of the time arent even missed heartbeats they just feel like they are. they are nothing to worry about and niether is sharp pains in your heart or chest they are all completely natural and normal. remember your heart is one of the strongest muscles in the world a few missed heartbeats wouldnt cause a thing to go wrong with you. just relax and let it pass.

morganbird
21-12-08, 23:40
Hi,

I'm sure you're all sick of reading about my constant posts about my fear of the missed/ectopic heartbeat thing, but I really can't stop being scared of them and wish I could find a way to learn to accept them.

For example, today at work, totally out of the blue I felt them come on. Right in the middle of my chest I could feel the missing beat. I hadn't done anything to bring them on at all......If I'm not feeling the missing beat, I feel like my heart is fluttering and sometimes when I check my pulse at these times, it is beating IRREGULARLY. These are not like palpitations where you feel your heart pounding and beating faster.

I would just like to hear from others who suffer from these too. Also, is it really not doing me any damage getting them daily?? I have had them for over three years now and had all the usual tests three years ago.

I am sorry to go on about this again, but I'm sure if I could conquer this fear I would be on my way to conquering my anxiety.

Love,
Linda.xxx

Hi Linda
I am havin exactly the same symptoms and randomness as you aswell and u cant help but feel u are havin an attack!
I wish I could tell u how to stop it but I cant stop it myself oalthough I am booked in to see a hypnotist as a friend recommended it to me!
Stay strong
Stacey

lisad77
27-04-09, 08:30
hi all i know what ur goin through i constantly checking my pulse because i got somethng called bigeminy abnormal heart beat my heart goes really fast like 140bpm then can go down to 42bpm i have chest pain dizzy spells sweating shakes dry mouth numbness and pain through out body and feel ill all the time im scared all day evryday

ALEX WIDDOWSON
29-10-09, 08:28
Hi Linda,
I'm sorry I can't be a huge help as I don't get exactly the same symptoms but as you know I do get heart symptoms and get myself scared from time to time.
I'm not bored of hearing you mention this several times, you were kind enough to keep relying to my repetitive posts, and I understand how you feel.
From what I know about missed beats they can't hurt you even if you have several every day. If they were harmful your doctor would have said in the past and as you said you have been checked out in the past. Are you being checked out again now you're pregnant? I think I remember you saying somewhere that you might be?
The only way to stop being scared is to accept them as being annoying but harmless and try and ignore them when they happen. I know that is so easy to say and so hard to do. I really think CBT would help you so much Linda. Is there any chance of you having CBT?
Anyway thinking of you, big hugs,
Love Lisa x
sorry but was is a cbt

Maj
29-10-09, 13:01
Mines sound exactly the same. I've had them for months but they aren't as bad as they originally were. I'm no longer afraid of them but they are a nuisance. They tend to happen more with me when I'm really worn out. Please try not to worry about them. When they happen just try to accept them and carryon with what you were doing - don't stop and analyse or feel your pulse - you only wind yourself up doing that:yahoo: They are such a common symptom of anxiety for people and although they seem frightening they are harmless. The less you let them stress you the less they will happen. Even if they do still happen now and again you won't be so scared.
Myra:hugs:

ALEX WIDDOWSON
21-12-09, 12:44
Hi all a and e again yesterday its ridiculous ure fine they say my ecg fine my blood tests fine my tachycardia was 0.01 whatever that means they tell u nothing,.,.,ive not had a fag or beer 4 a month now .,.and they are worse than ver my heart hurts a bit when i get ectopics which is every day now .,trying to get that op where they burn them out..,.,,what are they where do they come from what does that blood test mean please help thanks alex

peter34uk
21-12-09, 17:18
how often do u get it?

Ive had 3 attacks now where i get ectpics twice a minute every minute of every hour for like 36-48 hours!

Panickypants
21-12-09, 21:49
I also get them EXACTLY how you described a lot of mine were whilst i was occupied too..mainly at work or while i was doing something simple like brushing my teeth or cooking tea, i also have been woken up by them too...It is reasurring however to know that someone else does have the same symptoms as me....I had a bad couple of weeks the last 2 weeks the last few days haven't been to bad i deffo think it's hormones cos i get them when i am ovulating then again when it's the time of month i am 32 so only young so can't be menapause so it's got to be to do with my cycle x x

ames6767
21-12-09, 22:00
I totally agree it's hormonal. I'm 33 and get it bad around period ect. I don't know if it's because I'm more stressy then or what?