PDA

View Full Version : Valerian: Side Effects?

RMP422
20-07-09, 10:48
I've been dealing with considerable health/general anxiety and I decided that I would try Valerian (400mg extract, pill form) as a natural remedy to help me sleep...

I gave it two tries, Saturday night and last night (Sunday), and I can't say I'm very happy. Waking up suddenly wheezing, gasping for air (something I've never done before), shaking, and feeling dizzy. Definitely not fun. Gradually stops about 10-12 hours (!) after taking the pill.

Has anyone else had these sorts of side-effects? I've found a few other people on the net who describe something similar. Will it be safe for me to stop using Valerian now, or should I take a quarter (or less) of a pill tonight so that I can avoid any potential withdrawal, something that would give me a third night of no sleep?

Worry-wart
27-08-09, 06:01
This is from the Wikipedia page on Valerian...

"In rare cases, Valerian may cause an allergic reaction, typically as a skin rash (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Skin_rash), hives (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hives), or difficulty breathing."

Sounds to me like you may be allergic to it. You may want to try something different.

valleybear
27-08-09, 19:58
I tried Valerian several years ago and had side effects which made me a bit dizzy and shaky like you seem to describe. I just stopped taking them, but i think they were not as strong as 400mg ....sorry can't remember the exact strength. Also had a bad reaction from St John's Wort. Hope this helps.

NoPoet
28-08-09, 00:42
It can cause adverse reactions with other medication like SSRIs.

You are much better off trying inositol. I find it far more effective than valerian and there are practically no side effects. It won't make you feel short of breath! It does not react with medication either so you are safe to take it alongside SSRIs (for example).

PoppyC
28-08-09, 15:25
Hi :)
Is there a lower dose you can start off with? and gradually build up...similar to how you would with anti depressants.
I took Valerian a few years ago and it made me feel terrible - stomach pains and feeling like my chest was tight ...but then I know others who use it with no problems. Maybe it just doesn't suit you.
Maybe if you want to try stopping using them them just stop because I doubt you would get any serious withdrawals from using valerian twice.:unsure:
Have you tried Kalms for helping you get to sleep - the bedtime version of them? I have heard they are supposed to be quite good.
I have a small glass of red wine an hour or so before going to bed and find that helps me sleep better :D...but that's just me and I certainly don't recommend mixing more than that whilst taking anti depressants - :lac: not sure if you are taking any prescribed medication?:shrug: