PDA

View Full Version : feel like i've lost touch with reality

shemmy23
20-07-09, 13:36
I have suffered with social anxiety for nearly 2 years now and dont go out the house very much, and when i do it feels awful, anxious, nervous etc, n i just want to get back home. but it also feels like i've lost touch reality somewhat, as when i do go out it doesnt feel real and i think "is this really happening?" i was just wondering if anyone else has felt the same or similar. would love to hear from someone.

:unsure:

monkeybutler
20-07-09, 15:53
sounds like you're anxious when you go out, and that's causing derealization, about which there are several helpful posts on this site.
sometimes i experience derealization even when not feeling particularly anxious, just lonely or bored, and i think it can be caused by the mental exhaustion resulting from previous bouts of anxiety.
i'd recommend reading about how others on here cope with derealization, especially in a way that doesnt involve aggravating your social anxiety (though facing up to these fears we have will eventually be necessary)
good luck :)

Kieran
20-07-09, 18:38
I have suffered with social anxiety for nearly 2 years now and dont go out the house very much, and when i do it feels awful, anxious, nervous etc, n i just want to get back home. but it also feels like i've lost touch reality somewhat, as when i do go out it doesnt feel real and i think "is this really happening?" i was just wondering if anyone else has felt the same or similar. would love to hear from someone.

:unsure:

Hey shemmy.

I used to get that at my worst. Felt like I was a character in a movie or a video game, and not myself. Like even walking down the road wasn't real.

It sounds hard but the best way I got over it was just to try doing as much as possible.

I used to go for a walk with a friend, just chat about whatever. I used to go for walks and just listen to my music, go for a run. Before I knew it I would just find myself smiling.

Sounds daft but it helped me.

WillyB
20-07-09, 23:43
I too have felt like things wernt happening, like i was watching myself from third person or it was a movie. This was from being sick when i got very very very, nearly dead drunk. I was sick, and because i was so drunk the muscles in my neck didnt contract properly and they got messed up which caused this. It was fixed by seeing a ... i cant remember what it was called but basically she massaged my neck muscles and it fixed. IM saying this because i can understand how you feel. with my recent anxiety i have been feeling the same way. Going for walks or bike rides might make it feel better, if not you could see a doctor, they may be able to help.

shemmy23
03-08-09, 21:01
monkey butler, keiran and willy B

thank you so much for your replies, very kind of you all.
thanks for understanding and for your advice.
much appreciated
shemmy

natzlvsduff
06-08-09, 23:54
Heyy, yeah i suffer from loss of reality scares me sooo much! I could be standing having a convo and then id feel like im slipping in and out of conciousness! Its really not pleasent and i do feel like im in a movie and im not really me its strange! My mum says this is down 2 anxiety etc but i dont have a cure how to make it go away! Any ideas?
Many thanks