PDA

View Full Version : Taking Venlafaxine

pauline
22-09-05, 10:40
Hi

Has anyone taken Venlafaxine (Effexor). Just need to know if you have taken it, did it work and how where the side effects. did you cope and did it help with the anxiety.

Thanks for any replies.

Pauline

Alice
22-09-05, 12:49
hi
i was prescribed venlafaxine while i was in hospital a few months ago, i was put on an anti-anxiety dose rather than an antidepressant as i had had a reaction to another antidepressant. As it was such a low dose i wasnt optimistic about it and felt that nothing would happen. But i was wrong, i got steadily better and im now functioning pretty much normally.

Because i wasnt expecting the medication to have any effect the results kind of snuck up on me without realising. I was doing things that i hadnt done for ages like popping up to the shops or going for a walk, gradually my 'safety' circle widened and i started enjoying life again. I also found that my depression eased as well, whether this was a direct result of the medication or a result of me going out and doing more im not sure, but i have only positive things to say about venlafaxine, its turned my life around! I havent noticed any side effects either, and it didnt make me feel weird when i first started taking it like alot of other antidepressants do. All in all i would recommend it to anyone!
Good luck with it
Alice

Antipodes
22-09-05, 12:55
Hi Pauline,

I posted a similar query a while ago when I was put onto this med.
I have now been on it for about five weeks - started at 75mg/day and am on 150mg/day now but I suspect I'll be on 225mg next week as my emotions are still numb (I'm a PTSD-er though). As far as anxiety goes, I have found it useful. I can do things that I could not possibly do before, but I was on a brilliant anti-anxiety med for several months before.

Venlafaxine is not available as a generic and is thus quite expensive and generally not offered unless other meds have not helped (in NZ we have to try at least two and apply for a special exemption before we're allowed it).

I hear it is quite difficult to wean off and your body lets you know big-time if you forget to take them. I just want to get well and back to my old self so I don't worry about those aspects.
In summary, most people I've asked about this have been very favourable. There seems to be a minority who find it objectionable. But this is typical of any med. What works well for one person could be totally useless for another. Our science really isn't that good yet :- )

I hope you find benefits from Venlafaxine.

sincerely
Antipodes

LisaS
22-09-05, 20:23
hiya,
i've been on venlafaxine for 6 months now also on a low anxiety controlling dose and its really helped me get my life back. I'm calm, controlled been back at work for 3 months and slowly life is returning..
good luck,
Lisa
xxx

"do not fear to hope...Each time we smell the autumn's dying scent, we know that primrose time will come again"

april tones
22-09-05, 23:45
i was on it and had side effect but stuck with it and was worth it! could do with a low does again maye. haha. had no trouble coming off x id reccomend

apriltones

pauline
23-09-05, 10:12
Thanks everyone who replied. Seems like it might be good to try it. What have i got to lose.

Take care

Pauline

ANXIETY26
02-10-05, 16:04
I had a terrible time with Effexor. It was a nightmare to come off and I would'nt advise anyone to take it. I have had thoughts go through my head which I have never experienced in my life before after quitting what I call this evil drug. Im not trying to put you off taking It, Im just speaking from my own personal experience. I know people who have a had a lot of success from it. Everyone is different so you may feel that it will help you. Good luck and I hope it works for you.

Insomniac
02-10-05, 16:06
I took Venlafaxine for depression a couple of years ago. I was on it for ages.

Like Antipodes says, it does remind you when to take next dose, I used to feel dizzy. And after gradually reducing dose I came off it over a weekend with solicitous care of my husband!

But I have to say that it was worth being on it. That and counselling together helped me. :D

Lisa.

pauline
08-10-05, 11:05
Hi

Just an update on me taking Venlafaxine. I have to go to hospital for a ECG as the govement have brought in now guide lines and before anyone can take this med you have to have a ECG. I was hopeing i could have this done at my doctors but no i have to go to hospital which is a good 20 min drive away, the reason i want to take these tabs is because even though i now work and seem to have a "normal" life i still find it so hard to go far from the house. So to go a 20 min drive away and then be trapped as i call it while they are doing the ECG fills me with terror. But what choice do i have i just am so fed up with being like this. Or should i just be happy that i am now so much better and be content with how my life is. After all the meds might not work i have tried different ones over the years and nothing has really helped me. Any thoughts on this one?

Take care
Pauline