PDA

View Full Version : anyone trying no meds

joy
21-07-09, 12:47
Having tried just about every class of anti depressant there is with no or limited success I am seriously considering going down the no meds route.

Anyone else try this? and how was it?

Joy

Worry-wart
21-07-09, 13:19
For me the couple of months that I was on Lorazepam were great, but I've stopped because...

1: found out I can't be taking it therapeutically because of developed dependence and tolerance building.

2: because my anxiety was most largely due to my thyroid levels which have now been brought to normal and I don't know where my baseline is anymore because of the drug and it's withdrawals.

So I think at least you will find out where you are at if you have been taking them for a while.

nomorepanic
21-07-09, 14:36
I stopped all medication for panic 11 years ago and went down the CBT/self-help route and that helped me.

bcr
21-07-09, 20:26
I have always tried the no meds route. I have only been on meds once (Citalopram) for about eight months, which was because I hit rock bottom when I had no time to recover and deal with it via therapy. However after finally being in a position to get therapy I have come off them again.

I would rather be in therapy than take medication because I don't like the side effects, but it isn't easy and it is a compromise. Plus I think that for some people therapy is not enough and it depends on their condition and how it affects their life, and to a lesser extent the lives of people around them.

Being on Citalopram made life easier in a lot of ways, but I didn't feel completely like 'me'.

There are pros and cons to the meds vs no meds route. Whichever one you take I thoroughly recommend taking advantage of any therapy you can.