PDA

View Full Version : If you are asthmatic how do you tell the difference between panic attacks and asthma?

bel25
21-07-09, 15:00
I think the title is pretty self explanitory but for everyone who doesn't have asthma the symptoms are very similar and can start the same as a panic attack- shortness of breathe. I'm always in a dilema when i get shortness of breathe coz i could assume it is a panic attack and do nothing or assume it is asthma and take my inhaler. However, if i take my inhaler and it is asthma it obviously helps the asthma but if i take the inhaler and it isn't asthma it brings on my anxiety, which can last for about an hour- not the kinda thing i want to happen, especially if it happens just before i go to sleep. Anyone else have this problem? And how do you distinguish between the two? Thanks :)

Meewah
22-07-09, 03:18
Good question

My Eldest son has viral induced asthma. Sometimes because he knows about it he says he goes to bed ok and then he can hear is heart beating really fast. That worries him and when we see him he is shallow chest breathing as if he as asthma. I feel that the Inhaler brought on the fast heart which in turn makes him panic when in bed and then he begins panic breathing. We have had him to the out of hours doctors before now and they say he is not suffering with asthma.

I suppose you should try to slow your breathing down initially and breathe through your belly. If you start to find this eases it then great if not then try the inhaler. All else fails get a second opinion from the doc.

Mee