PDA

View Full Version : Head shakes?

Ayesha17
21-07-09, 17:33
Hi, im 17 and suffer from social anxiety and when I feel really anxious around someone I can't stop my head from shaking and then i get blurred vision and i cant stop sweating its really embarrassing if I can stop this then I can actually hold down a job or go to college, But i don't know how to control this does anyone else suffer from this and does anyone know how i can control it?
it only ever happens if i have to talk to someone and i know i have to control it so they don't notice it.
thankyou in advance :)

Lion King
21-07-09, 18:14
Hi there,

I had head shakes, excessive nervousness, sweating, palpitations in social situations. The best way I overcame this was to learn to relax by using breathing techniques in these situations, my head use to shake due to my neck muscles being tense from stress. When I tested this technique it made the situation alot easier, confidence starts to build from this and with repeated exposure it gets better. Sometimes when you are in a social situation you might be feeling judged, so for starters you will be on edge if your self esteem is low. Mine was low, so I had to steadily put myself into social situations when I felt relaxed, and the thing to learn is to not be hard on yourself when it is bad, just put as little importance on the situation as possible, a good thing I used to remind myself was "will it matter in 5 years time what people will think of me".

I also had to learn to accept myself and be natural instead of putting on an act, you are who you are, only you can change the way you feel. I adopt positive thinking, keeping an open mind and remain calm. Try not to look at a situation and adapt negativity about the outcome (i.e. being badly judge if you appear boring!), try thinking about what is in the conversation that is going to help you, try listening and concentrating, don't think too heavily about the way you fell and think more outwardly, believe me this does reall help.

Anyway, i know this has gone on a bit but hope you start to feel better soon.

LK :winks:

Ayesha17
28-07-09, 19:10
thankyou for your help, i will use your techniques, im glad you understand :)

nomorepanic
28-07-09, 19:32
I reckon some Hypnotherapy could help you as well - it is very relaxing too.

johnielov
06-09-12, 08:19
I haven't experience something like that, well I just sweat and my knees shakes because of being so nervous but shaking my heads not really. Well, I hope your doin' fine now:)