PDA

View Full Version : Help Please

PaulR
21-07-09, 20:20
I got my first bout of Health Anxiety during a four week illness last year where I thought I had everything from a heart attack to cancer. Turned out to be a virus but the anxiety and stress I put myself through during that lasted for a couple of months after. I had a couple of sessions with a counsellor and things were on the up. I haven't sufferd any bad anxiety since until this whole flu business appeared and now I'm back to sqaure one.

Since the weekend I haven't been feeling good. Had stomach pains and a bit of diarrhea, aching arms and legs, tense shoulders, light headed, pressure headache and blocked ears. Just generally feel run down and lethargic. Don't want to do anything but sit down and cry. I can't sleep because I am constantly nervous. Went to the docs this morning and he said its anxiety as there is no infection in my ear or throat and no reason why they should be blocked and painful.

Could all of these symptoms be down to anxiety? I don't want to disbelieve the doctor but I find it hard to believe its all anxiety related.

Has anyone else had these with their anxiety?

Thanks for reading

lauraw
21-07-09, 20:29
Hi Paul,

I too started suffering from health anxiety after a viral illness and i had convinced myself ive had all sorts but my biggest fear is MS

All the symptoms you have described are definately related to anxiety. Are you on any medication?

the only reassurance I can give you is that it does get better, relaxation is difficult but it definately helps. I also find my symptoms (including ones you have described) get better if i am distracted.

Look on here at all the symptoms that everyone on here suffers from and it should reassure you that they definately are symptoms of anxiety.

Keep well

laura

PaulR
21-07-09, 20:57
Thanks for your reply Laura. I was prescribed Citalopram just before xmas last year but decided against taking it and got over it last time with the couple of counsellor sessions. I do take the homeopathic drug Aconite to try and calm me down at the moment.
I'm angry at myself for letting this pig business get me back into this state and I hope I can come out the otherside again soon but at the moment I feel dreadful.

Thanks again and all the best

Louise21
21-07-09, 22:01
Hi Paul,
Sorry to read you're not feeling well at the moment.
As you've been to the doctor and he's checked you out, it probably is anxiety as that can cause so many symptoms.
As an anxiety sufferer, I try and avoid watching the news as usually it's all doom and gloom as good things rarely get mentioned!
Please let us know how you are.
Best wishes,
Louise.

Vanilla Sky
21-07-09, 22:20
It is hard to believe that all the symptoms we get are down to anxiety. As a health anx sufferer myself every time i have a bout of anx i am still convinced that it is something sinister, but it never is ! But the feelings are so strong so i totally know what you mean. Some good advice for you or anyone else worrying about swine flu.... look after yourself, take vitamins , get enough sleep , because if your immune system is healthy, it will not take on the bug and if it does it won't hang around for to long. We are always going to worry about something so just make sure your as healthy as you can be ! Love Paige x