PDA

View Full Version : TMJ sufferers

Lissy43
21-07-09, 21:04
My GP thinks I might have TMJ. I have been having noises in my ear since the weekend, the noise is kind of just infront of the ear, when I chew or open and close my mouth I can hear like a loud rubbing sound in my right ear.

My GP said my ear is normal, no fluid or anything. I have never had this symptom before although I have had TMJ in the past, I once couldn't open my mouth wide enough to ear adn it siezed up for nearly 2 weeks, was awful. I don't have this problem now, just this noise.

Does it sound like TMJ? I was very tense last week due to alot of problems at home and illness in the family.

countrygirl
21-07-09, 23:12
Sounds like the noise if coming from you joint or the muscles around it - are you having any pain or stiffness or pain in our face or temple???

Lissy43
22-07-09, 00:01
No pain, occasional shooting pain near temple but the jaw doesn't hurt to open at all.

Stressed32
22-07-09, 00:32
sometimes you dont get pain...then sometimes you do. sometimes the popping goes...sometimes it hurts to pop and other times it doesn't.

Emaa
22-07-09, 04:41
Yeah I have TMJ. I get the pain by my temple, and funny noises from my jaw. Sometimes my jaw will click, sometimes it'll need to click but it can't, sometimes it'll hurt sometimes it won't open. I grind my teeth when I'm tired though, that's what I think's caused my TMJ, plus it gets soo much worse when I'm tired.

only-me
22-07-09, 09:53
I am a TMJ sufferer and it takes on many forms:

Pain in the facial muscles
Tooth ache
Tinitus
Jaw popping/clicking
Pain opening mouth
Jaw locks
Swelling
Headache
Neckache

To name a few.

Mine is considerably worse when I am stressed and I clench my teeth, in the day I can control it to a certain degree but by the evening I feel like I have horrific toothache and earache. I have a specially made nightguard to wear every night as in the past I have clenched my teeth so hard I have cracked one.

When I first started getting the problems I went to see my doctor and he suggested going to the dentist, this might be an idea for you.

Ddcoo
22-07-09, 10:27
Good idea going to the dentist, I did, and I had a gumshield made to wear at night as I used to grind my teeth and even bit through my tongue a couple of times which was very painful, its not very sexy looking when I got to bed at night as I look as if I am ready for a boxing match, but it has stopped the tooth grinding at night and I haven't bitten my tongue since.

only-me
22-07-09, 10:29
I'm on my 3rd one and have found the one that fits on the lower teeth better than the ones that go on the top teeth, the one I had for the top teeth I split in three days

Lissy43
22-07-09, 21:03
Thanks for your replies.

Do you get the noise then when eating and opening mouth and closing? it isn't popping, it sounds like 2 bones rubbing together? GP said there is nothing wrong with the ear so its not fluid or anything.

Today I have had the odd shooting pains from the right temple down side of head, could this be TMJ related aswell?

Lissy43
24-07-09, 21:00
I am having a tension type pain at the back of my head on right side the last few days aswell, feels like ive slept funny, hurts when I tilt my head to the left. TMJ related?

THe noise is still there when I chew or open and close my mouth, the noise is so loud, is that just because the jaw joint is near the ear? or could it be a problem with my ear? GP said the ear looked perfect so he said it can't be ear related.

Just feels all tense around the back of my head on that side, and this noise constantly when I eat is getting me down abit. GP said to just ignore it.

Does it really sound like TMJ?

Trish
24-07-09, 22:31
I think my daughter who is 33 is suffering from TMJ and i've told her to visit her dentist.

Can anyone who suffers this tell me if or what medication they take for it?

Thanks

Trish x

wewantfun
26-07-09, 16:17
i suffer from TMJ and it can get really bad, the past week i have been in a lot of pain due to 1 trip to the dentist and 1 trip to the doctors, both who pushed my jaw joint to see how it was.. i get a very stiff jaw, feels like its gonna lock anytime.
from my ear to my jaw line i get terrible numb pain, that just throbs, and swells also, so some days i look like a chipmunk!
my jaw pops when i eat and clicks alot, so im now waiting on a mouth guard to see if it helps.
apart frm that thers not much i can do for it, stress does make it worse and i can't eat anything chewy or im done for