PDA

View Full Version : Paracetamol, Codeine, Diazepam

Sok86
21-07-09, 22:36
I recently came out of hospital and my panic attacks have got worse
The doctor has put me on Diazepam 2mg tablets twice daily
I also have leg pain is it safe to take my prescribed Codeine Phosphate 30mg tablets while I am on Diazepam? I wasn't on Diazepam when I was prescribed the Codeine. I also have paracetamol too, is that OK to take with Diazepam too? If I can't take the Codeine then I should be able to take the paracetamol, right?

emma30982
21-07-09, 22:57
i was told that i could take all thses meds together, but please makesure from your doc first
all the best

lesleya
22-07-09, 00:18
I would really check with a pharmacist sok86 if your not too sure.
Does the codine on its own not work as there quite a strong painkiller?
About 8 yrs ago i used to take a a soluable tablet called 'co-codamol' they're paracetamol combined with codine, and they were really good painkillers but i was taken off them because my chemist discovered that my antidepressant inter-reacted with them so my gp changed me to just paracetamol.
But my antidepressants werent diazapam/valium based so yours should be fine. I also took valium for 16 yrs and never ever had any problems with painkillers. Just ring your pharmacy in the morning to check hun if your not sure.
Take care
xxx

Sok86
22-07-09, 20:14
Did not feel up to going to the doctors today :( and i can already a headache and my leg pain coming on :( i will try again tomorrow i guess.

maeanna
27-07-09, 12:42
Hiya i have taken diazapan with cocodamol (paracetamol and codeine) and it is fine but just be very careful because they cause drowsiness and are very addictive. I hope u feel better soon. best wishes.

Sok86
27-07-09, 16:18
Finally got to the doctors im off the diazapan and on some sleeping pills why i wait for a cbt meeting.

carlos678
27-07-09, 16:54
They are both CNS depressants so they can work synergistically causing respiratory problems - possibly heart attack (heath ledger + MJ??).
Normally deaths are caused by abusing the drugs; but nevertheless be careful and avoid alcohol. In the doses stated you should be OK.

carlos678
27-07-09, 16:57
Finally got to the doctors im off the diazapan and on some sleeping pills why i wait for a cbt meeting.

ignore above post, didn't read this ^^

good luck with CBT :yesyes:

Anxious_gal
06-10-12, 23:10
They can be taken together.
But both will make you sleepy : )
I find codeine at perscripion dosages really got rid of my anxiety for a few hours.
I've taken both together and was fine just very sleepy.

fozzy is crying
06-10-12, 23:23
They can be taken together.
But both will make you sleepy : )
I find codeine at perscripion dosages really got rid of my anxiety for a few hours.
I've taken both together and was fine just very sleepy.

Codeine or anything with it in it should be banned as it is in a lot of EU countries and USA and other places as an illegal class A drug that is also been called the silent killer. It killed a few I know including my Mum. God rest her soul. As anything but a carefully prescribed emergency medication it is a no no. It turns to morphine within minutes of hitting the stomach and is highly addictive but longer useless as a painkiller after other drugs can be used that take longer to get into the blood stream.

NHS guidelines say it should not be prescribed to anyone over 50 and for others only under strict control for a very short period. However tens of thousands of old people are given it like sweets to shut them up. Result zombies who then have accidents and often die alone or from complications from their falls.

Sorry this is a hobby horse of mine having lost loved ones because of its misuse.

Gordon

Elle-Kay
06-10-12, 23:50
I know this is a very old thread, but I just wanted to add to the above that Codeine in a very low dose (8mg in 500mg paracetamol) is freely available over the counter both as Cocodamol (general mid-strength painkiller) and branded as Migraleve (migraine-specific tablets), and shouldn't be confused with any Codeine-based medications prescribed by Drs, which will be higher doses and therefore more "risky" (hence why they are prescription only). As long as the guidelines are followed for the over the counter options (the main ones being don't take with other paracetamol-based meds, and only take for 3 days before stopping and consulting a GP) they present a low addiction risk, and are effective as a non-prescription analgesic (I would be lost without them - paracetamol and/or ibuprofen alone don't touch a genuine migraine).

I obviously don't intend to belittle your experience in any way Gordon, but I also wanted to give the "other side" (as it were) so that anyone with sensitivity to health issues/HA didn't read this thread and panic that they were at an immediate health risk if they had taken an over the counter codeine product :)

fozzy is crying
06-10-12, 23:55
I know this is a very old thread, but I just wanted to add to the above that Codeine in a very low dose (8mg in 500mg paracetamol) is freely available over the counter both as Cocodamol (general mid-strength painkiller) and branded as Migraleve (migraine-specific tablets), and shouldn't be confused with any Codeine-based medications prescribed by Drs, which will be higher doses and therefore more "risky" (hence why they are prescription only). As long as the guidelines are followed for the over the counter options (the main ones being don't take with other paracetamol-based meds, and only take for 3 days before stopping and consulting a GP) they present a low addiction risk, and are effective as a non-prescription analgesic (I would be lost without them - paracetamol and/or ibuprofen alone don't touch a genuine migraine).

I obviously don't intend to belittle your experience in any way Gordon, but I also wanted to give the "other side" (as it were) so that anyone with sensitivity to health issues/HA didn't read this thread and panic that they were at an immediate health risk if they had taken an over the counter codeine product :)

Hi Elle,

No problem. As to migraine I have had that and bad all my life almost 64 years now. Pregabalin is the new wonder drug for it for those who cannot take other well know ergot derived drugs due to a history or family history of heart disease. I spent 24 years with nothing and Pregabalin is now helping a lot.

Gordon

Elle-Kay
07-10-12, 00:06
Wow, that's a long time to have had migraines. I've had mine for around 13 years (once every 4-6 weeks or so), which is plenty long enough. I have Imigran (sumatriptan) for my worst attacks, as thankfully there is no history of any kind of contraindicated disease in our family, and use the Cocodamol additionally for less severe attacks. I read recently about positive results from two separate studies into using acupuncture and Botox for chronic cases, which is promising for those people worse off than myself.

fozzy is crying
07-10-12, 00:20
Wow, that's a long time to have had migraines. I've had mine for around 13 years (once every 4-6 weeks or so), which is plenty long enough. I have Imigran (sumatriptan) for my worst attacks, as thankfully there is no history of any kind of contraindicated disease in our family, and use the Cocodamol additionally for less severe attacks. I read recently about positive results from two separate studies into using acupuncture and Botox for chronic cases, which is promising for those people worse off than myself.

I get up to 3 cluster attacks a week, some overlap. That is when the stone wall gets more damage from my head hitting it to get relief.