PDA

View Full Version : A trip to very near the bottom of the wave today

stronger
22-07-09, 02:26
OK, I'm just going to go ahead and post my bad experience today. No replies required but any similar experiences would be appreciated. I'm a 50 yr old married man, two 20-ish grown kids who I love more than life itself.

(My 4 week severance from Effexor, 112.5 to 0mg, ended last month. I'm still feeling some withdrawal symptoms.)

I had scheduled a very critical business meeting this morning.
Me, a big box guy (multinational, quality in everything we do and all that) and the 2 other participants, small business.

One of the participants completely hung up the 4 part agenda on the 2nd item with a senseless request that we all sign a legal document that was a complete piece of crap. I know with certainty no one should this sign voluntarily.

After 2 hours of what was like negotiating with children I got up and ended the meeting. I drove home and, once there, felt myself sink deeper and deeper into depression. The closer I got to the point of no return (the significant depression I suffered last year) I start to become anxious about my ability to stay away from the edge. I walked around, tried to not cry nor call a friend nor call my psychologist or health professional(successfully).
I received an email from my father with a an old old picture of my grandfather's house ... a happy and safe spot for me when I was a kid. Perfect timing on that.

Beyond that, I 'miraculously' (I'm not religious at all) found the inner strength to stay away from the edge.
Having found a pattern of strong thoughts, I went about my day's business for another couple of hours.
The wife came home and I unloaded my frustration on her(she was nice enough to listen empathically) and then I went for a drive.

When I returned, I was more sleepy,tired, exhausted than I can ever remember.

That's all ... All in all, a good experience I suppose.
Success and victory and hope and ligt are the main words which come to mind right now.

I hope your day was memorable as well, for all the best reasons.

Ophelia105
22-07-09, 08:02
Hi Stronger - I loved your post - you have developed some very effective coping mechanisms!

This was really useful for me to read, to see how you have dealt with a difficult time - I struggle sometimes to realise that I don't have to be a victim of my own thoughts and that I can generate a 'pattern of strong thoughts' as you have done...sometimes I just need reminding of this

Thnks!

doodah
22-07-09, 08:39
Hello Stronger,

Your post has reminded me of how depression and anxiety can hit me so easily following frustrating episodes with people, authorities etc. I know that I can put my heart and soul into what I believe in etc, and when someone gets the wrong end of the stick or tries to undermine a basically good thought/intention/idea that's when my mind clicks into my "the worlds gone mad" syndrome and I start spiralling downwards!

I shall try to make a point of remembering how you dealt with your meeting and overcame the triggers that could have pushed you over the edge! Thanks!

Hope you're feeling much better and refreshed today!!

Wendy