PDA

View Full Version : Pain in leg and lack of sleep!

cassy1989
22-07-09, 09:31
Ok this is sort of following on from my other thread. Where I have been worrying about my health so much lately I'm just not sleeping properly.
I can't get to sleep til about 3 in the morning and then my 3 year old gets me up between 6-7 so hardly any sleep :(
Plus if I wake up in the night I will lay there for anything between 1-3 hours trying to get back to sleep.
I am so tired but I just can't sleep.
Who else gets this and what have you done?

Also since monday night I have had an ache in my leg but only when I walk on it.
My Mum said it sounds like a pulled muscle and I have had it before but never lasted a few days.
I went to the cinema monday night and sat in the same position with my leg pressed against the seat for ages, could this have done it?
It aches in the same patch and almost feels like some one is prodding my leg when I walk. But it's not sore or anything to the touch.

Thanks in advance to anyone who replies x

Ddcoo
22-07-09, 09:55
Hi Cassy, a lot of us get really bad nights where we lie awake for hours on end and it won't be easy for you to function the next day when you have a little one to attend to as welll. I must admit I have a back up system by taking a 2mg diazepam or maybe 4mg which usually gives me about 3 to 4 hours sleep if I get desperate, but maybe this wouldn't be possible with having the little one. There is no easy answer to this problem, you will eventually fall asleep with exhaustion. The only other thing I do is to play a relaxation tape on my old Walkman machine and I have been known to fall asleep while it was still playing.

I would definitely think that you have upset the muscle in your leg by pushing it against the chair and it will take a time to relax again, so please don't worry about it - easy to say though isn't it? I do hope you will manage to relax a little soon and get some good sleep. Sorry I am not a lot of help really, but I do know how you feel.:hugs:

cassy1989
22-07-09, 10:04
Hi Ddcoo, thank you for replying :)

I forgot to add I have also become a really light sleeper too. When my boy friend stays all he has to do is turn over in bed or move slightly and I am awake like a shot where as before I slept through anything and everything!

I am thinking of going to the doctor though I don't really want any heavy sleeping pills, like you said because of my little one.

I have tried most things I can think of to get to sleep; reading, watching tv, milky warm drink, dove stuff in my bath that is meant to make you feel sleepy, just lying in the dark, etc. None of it seems to work!

I hope the pain in my leg is just my muscle! It's so easy to think otherwise x

Ddcoo
22-07-09, 10:21
Hi Cassy, you do the right thing by going to the doctor maybe they will be able to suggest something that will help you relax. I really do sympathise with you, there is nothing like a good nights sleep to help you cope with the day and I wish I could wave a magic wand for you.

It is because you are so stressed that you are sleeping lightly, I know it is awful to suggest but could you try sleeping alone just for a couple of nights so that you won't be disturbed? I am sure your other half would understand under the circumstances. Let us know how you get on. Have you also thought of going to a health shop and asking their advice for herbal sleeping products I think there are some good ones like Calms.

cassy1989
22-07-09, 10:26
Hello. Thank you for being so nice :) I wish I could wave a magic wand for everyone who suffers with anxiety too!

My boy friend doesn't live with me, just stays a few times a week so I'm normally sleeping alone anyway but even then I wake up to nothing!

I was thinking of going for some Calms as a friend said they were good. Do you know if they can have side-effects though? x

Ddcoo
22-07-09, 10:35
Cassy, I can't say for sure whether Calms have side affects, I have taken them in the past and I was fine with them, but it was a fair while ago since I took them, but if you do go to look at some of the tablets on the market then just read the instruction papers which come with them and see if there are any side affects before you commit yourself to buying them. Is there anything in particular that you are thinking about while you are lying awake at night or is it like a spinning top when everything is going round in your mind - don't answer that question unless you want to, but I find if I write it all down in a notebook, it clarifies what I am stressed about and then I can work out if there is anything I can do about the situation. In my next life I want to come back with a stress free brain lol.

cassy1989
22-07-09, 10:41
Hello.

I am just stressed about my health in general really.
If you read my other thread 'I have googled and freaked myself out big time' then that explains what this is stemming from x

Ddcoo
22-07-09, 11:28
Hi again Cassy, I have just re-read your other post and I think that NickieB has given you the best advice. I know the left side of my face goes numb when I get really anxious, this used to worry me an awful lot a few years ago, but I have come to know what it is and just accept it when it happens now. I think that all most of us want is reassurance that whatever we are experiencing is normal and that others have the same thing. Thank goodness for this site for I get a lot of reassurance from everyone else on here.
I regularly wake up in the night with a numb hand or arm where I have been lying on it and it takes a bit of time to get the circulation going again, it happens that often that I don't stress about it. I know all my life I have worried about this and that symptom and could it be something serious, I have worried for 50 years and I wish I had a £1 for each sleepless night or panic, I am still here and am grateful for that, but what a lot of time I have wasted in worrying when I could have been enjoying each day.

cassy1989
22-07-09, 11:33
Hi Ddcoo.

It wasn't the fact my arm/hand had gone dead cos I knew it was where I had been lying on it in my sleep. It was the fact the numbness spread to my face and at one point even made my lips go dead and I couldn't speak properly for about half a minute or so. Was very scary!

I'm trying to convince myself the doctor is right and its just a pinched nerve or I was thinking maybe bad circulation?

Anyway it was 2 1/2 years ago x