PDA

View Full Version : Frustrated

MindOverMatter
22-07-09, 16:17
Ok, forgive me as I am new too this site but I thought maybe if i met some people who knew what i'm feeling it would help me.

I've been have anxiety/panic attacks for i think 6 weeks now and it feels as if it is getting worse i thought it was getting better but no.
I cry daily now, it just completely frustrates me that i know longer have control over myself you know?
Before this i was a normal 19 year old girl and now i assess everything i do, like going to the cinema... thinking to myself, 'how many people will there be? Can i get out if i feel funny' I can't do anything i enjoy anymore.

My boyfriend has been fantastic, but I feel so bad for him as i'm not the girl he met. Even my mum says its likes shes talking to a stranger.
Which doesn't help.
What do you do to help? Anything would help me, i feel alone and lost.

Jaco45er
22-07-09, 16:41
Hiya and welcome :)

A brief intro RE Panic. It can come on at any stage and for any reason, stress, allegy, trauma etc but the key thing to note is, once you have had your 1st, it's so damn scary you live in fear of another.

This leads you to worry about going to places like the cinema, dinner etc because "oh god, if I have a panic there?" so you can easily start avoiding all those things you used to enjoy.

Now Panic is distressing but not dangerous, that's the good news. The other good news is, with the right help, it can be overcome.

Let me list a number of things that you could try.

1st port of call, pop and see your GP, he/she can rule out any underlying medical condition that is causing your anxiety/panic

Discuss with him/her what you have been feeling, any stresses you may have, and he/she (see how PC I am ;)) may suggest some sort of therapy or meds (personally I wouldn't turn to meds first).

Explore self help, I am a particular fan of Claire Weekes books but on this site you will find loads of great advice and potential Remedies

Watch your diet, keep alcohol intake low, cut out too much coffee, eat more fruit and veg, if you smoke, think about giving up, and make time for rest and relaxation

Exercise, a particular fav of mine, it can really help make the mind stronger and able to cope better.

Try not to avoid situations, no matter how distressing, I truely believe that avoidance will keep you ill, exposure to the sitatuion will aid recovery with time(even if you attempt it, and run, attempt it again and again)

Check out these coping statements for panic at

http://www.healthyplace.com/anxiety-panic/treatment/coping-statements-for-anxiety/menu-id-69/

And above all, don't lose hope, it may feel like the you are the only one suffering while you watch the world around you get on with their lives, but many (including me) have been where you are now, and come through to go on and enjoy the simple things again.

Good Luck

Jaco

jackie13
22-07-09, 16:53
Hi there

So sorry you are not feeling good at the moment.

It is true that if you avoid situations it will become more difficult to face in the future. What is the worse that could happen? Go to the cinema, give it a try, if you don't feel good, you can always leave, but keep trying. It is never as bad as you think.

I know this sounds boring, but I sometimes play competition golf and I was in the exact situation last Wednesday, after I played the first hole I thought, this is not so bad.

Hang in there, get as much advice and help as you can.

Jackiexx

MindOverMatter
23-07-09, 12:31
Thank you,

I know i need to keep trying to do stuff, just doing it is the hardest thing you know...

I'm thinking of taking up some kind of sport to get some of my frustration and pent up worries out.

Do you think this would help?

x

jackie13
23-07-09, 21:49
Hi there

The sport would definately help. Try and maybe speak to your GP, it is not as scarey as you think and he/she should be able to recommend lots of help so you get back on track.

Stay safe.

Jackie xx

purplehaze
24-07-09, 00:35
The main thing is you have started to identify the problem and that puts you in the driving seat. As Jaco has said, a trip to see your GP will benefit you.
One thing I want to ask is, has anything changed over the last few months that has made you feel stressful?

The main main main thing is to face how you feel and dont bury yourself away. Confront it and keep posting on here because there are many people on here, more wise than myself who will be able to support you

MindOverMatter
24-07-09, 12:13
Hi PurpleHaze,

Yeah a lot has changed these past couple of months, I had to leave my job, Moved house, finished college... etc etc

I'va been to the docs twice already and thought it was getting better so didnt want meds, but i'm going back because everything is getting more difficult.

Thanks for all your support. :D

jackie13
24-07-09, 15:10
Hi

Wow alot has been going on! Sometimes we need support from our GP and people around us, so get as much as you can. Please keep posting on here as it does help - ALOT.

Stay safe

Jackie xx