PDA

View Full Version : Anxiety provoking situations for me

trumpet
23-07-09, 13:28
I get out of breath, my heart starts pounding, my voice quivers, I shake, my face goes flush and I cannot think properly in the following situations:
Confrontations of any kind
Speaking in front of groups of people
When attention is on meIn addition I feel self-conscious and awkward:
Out on the street with people are aound
On public transport
Walking in the direction of someone who is staring in my direction or walking in my directionIn these self-conscious situations I have particular difficulty knowing where to look and what to do with my eyes.

Things I've tried:
Cognitive behavioural therapy
Medication (beta blockers, antidepressants)
Power of Now
Meditation
HypnosisCan anyone else relate and know any other strategies or techniques I ought to try for overcoming these problems?

Lion King
23-07-09, 20:14
I find all of the above frustrating and annoying, I have had all this but I'm not too bad now! The anxiety still exists when I'm speaking with people or passing people in the street. I find with exposure you have to practice different methods of relaxation til you find one that helps you get thru the situation, I do this by breathing thru the anxiety and dropping my tensions in my neck and shoulders, I then look at the situation from an outside perspective where I concentrate on the converation and not on the self. It takes time for this to work and you will have bad times but don't let this impede your progress, just accept it and take the positives with you for the next encounter. Just be brave you will get there.

LK