PDA

View Full Version : Second Week on Mirtazapine

oliverb
23-07-09, 14:24
And I'm still feeling as though I've been hit by a truck. Things got so bad last week that I wasn't coming round until a couple of hours before the next dose was due, so I halved the tablet and now take 7.5mg per night. This possibly isn't even a therapeutic dose, but at least I get a few hours of consciousness each day. Still woozy though. I don't know how useful this med would be if I had to work or be responsible for children or even drive.

On a brighter note, it's harder to get depressed or anxious when you're out for the count.

ElizabethJane
23-07-09, 15:39
Dear oliverb I was prescribed mirtazapine in 2007 and was taking it last year in 2008. I started on 15mg and eventually went up to 30mg. This drug is very sedating in the lower doses as well as being very sedating in the first couple of weeks when taking it. I would definitely go back to see your GP as your sleepiness does seem excessive. I remember going to sleep in the afternoon but it was a drugged sleep as you describe. This wore off after a few weeks and the anti depressant qualities of the drug were good. I came off it because I was putting on too much weight. 7.5mg is probably not a therapeutic dose but I have heard of people getting used to the drug gradually. I hope it works out for ypou.

oliverb
23-07-09, 16:46
Dear oliverb I was prescribed mirtazapine in 2007 and was taking it last year in 2008. I started on 15mg and eventually went up to 30mg. This drug is very sedating in the lower doses as well as being very sedating in the first couple of weeks when taking it. I would definitely go back to see your GP as your sleepiness does seem excessive. I remember going to sleep in the afternoon but it was a drugged sleep as you describe. This wore off after a few weeks and the anti depressant qualities of the drug were good. I came off it because I was putting on too much weight. 7.5mg is probably not a therapeutic dose but I have heard of people getting used to the drug gradually. I hope it works out for ypou.

Thanks. Let's hope so. It's the first med I've been on that hasn't had horrid initial side effects (apart from the tiredness), and at least it's solved my insomnia, so I'm hopeful. No food cravings yet. In fact I've probably lost a couple of pounds, being asleep and away from the fridge so much.

I'll increase the dose back to 15mg next week and see if it's any better.

jo61
24-07-09, 08:22
My experience of it was that the excessive sleepiness wore off in a few weeks. I've been on 45mg for years now and whilst it does help me get to sleep, I no longer have the hangover (unless I've had a drink!!)