PDA

View Full Version : good reading suggestions (not about anxiety)

theresa
10-01-04, 15:40
I've been away from the notice board for a while so amy feeling a bit out of touch with what's been going on for everyone else. Against all expectations, my holiday period was quite good - well it's all relative and I wasn't feeling nearly as anxious, despairing as I usually am. But I hit rock bottom again at the beginning of the week when life returned to 'normal'. I can feel so much better when I have my parents to stay and I get on with looking after them - why can't I manage this when I'm on my own or with my husband? Anyway I'd like any suggestions for a good read - preferably humourous. No thrillers, suspense, or stories about gritty, real-life problems - I used to really enjoy the latter but can't seem to cope with anything unless it's about pleasant stuff and no life problems. Books I've enjoyed include any by Tony Hawks (particularly Round Ireland with a fridge), Bill Bryson, and Ben Elton, Harry Potter books. Also anyone know of any 'inspirational' stuff - stories which might lift your spirits and give hope, either fictional or non-fictional. Thanx for suggestions

Theresa

Buby
10-01-04, 17:04
im at the begining of 'pride and prejudice' but ive not gone far so i dont know whats going to happen but its really good even though im not that far. id recommend it. its short chapters too so it wont take you that long to read it, even though it has 61 chapters. or wuthering heights, i saw the film of the the other day, not the original one, but it was really good anyway. so im looking forward to reading that.

well theyre my recommendations, have fum reading, if you begin to read them.
hugs ratchit aka rachel

benoo5
10-01-04, 20:31
two suggestions...bridgit jones diary....and...does my bum look big in this...there similar type of book,and both a fun read,even for a fella lol...best wishes..bryan.

stimpy
10-01-04, 20:36
I have terrible trouble reading lately, I read the same line 6 or 7 times, and I think I'm sure I've read this bit. [:I]

One of the best books I have read is "Catch Me If You Can" by Frank W Abagnale. Slightly different and more entertaining than the film with Tom Hanks and Leonardo DiCarpio (Although his story is the inspiration for the film.)

Between the ages of 16 and 21, Mr Abagnale pretended to be a Doctor, A Pan-am Pilot, and a Lawer stealing $2.5 million, from various countries including the US. He served time in prison in France, Sweden and the United States. Catch Me If You Can, was written more than more than 23 years ago, from his perspective as a 16-year old (He's now in his 50's and I sold the movie rights in 1980). The story, was over dramatized and exaggerated, and there is a disclaimer at the front of the book, but I think it makes it all the more interesting and fun to read.

I just can't believe some one could have the nerve to aquire a uniform, recruit girls from a local college, forge his paychecks and hop on an areoplane!

Love and Best wishes
Liz xxx

Laurie28
11-01-04, 15:49
hiya,

I used to love anything by John Grisham - but found his last 2 books very disappointing (not read his latest yet)

I am struggling to fins a good author at the moment and seem to be reading trashy womens books (no - not Mills and Boons but not far off it) that require no concentration but I can feel my brain seizing up as i love a good book that I can get my teeth into!!

Love
lucky

Crispy Cornflake
11-01-04, 16:08
Two books (both cycling orientated, but don't let that put you off).

Lance Armstrong - It's not about the bike (inspirational)
Tim Moore - French Revolutions (funny)

Lottie32
11-01-04, 19:13
Have you tried Michael Gayle - they are funny books about thirty somethings, discovering life, love, meeting old friends etc. Also Nick Hornby and Tony Parsons. Amy Tan writes very readable books, which hinge around Chinese culture, and they are very good too.

Charlie

Laurie28
19-01-04, 12:48
Read the Michael gayle books and while the are a good easy read I think I need something to get my teeth into!!!!

Lucky

mico
19-01-04, 18:18
How about a Jamie Oliver cookbook Lucky?

Waffle
19-01-04, 21:06
Hi Theresa....

You said you liked Bill Bryson and Ben Elton.. so I am thinking you like travel and humour type books. One of the best books I have ever read was "Are You Dave Gorman?" by Dave Gorman and Danny Wallace, and its a travel / humour book. It might help that I have an odd sense of humour but I thought it was a dead funny... Basicly as a result of a drunken bet in a pub Dave Gorman and Danny Wallace decide to spend 6 months travelling over 25,000 miles around the world (starting the morning after drinking) meeting complete strangers called "Dave Gorman". Its crazy, obssessional, and funny.

Oh or you could try "Googlewhack!" by Dave Gorman (another humour / travel book), but I have only just got it, so I dunno how good it is, but if its anything like the other it would be cool. [8D]

Perhaps these won't be to your taste though, as I am a bit crazy hehe

Lottie32
19-01-04, 23:49
Hi Lucky

If you want something more "meaty" try Attonement by Ian McEwan.

If anybody is going to get Michael Connolly, make sure you read the Poet first.

Dave Gorman is ace. Hardly anybody saw his programme on BBC2, but both the series I saw were really good. I am Dave Gorman featured him travelling round the globe to meet other people called Dave Gorman. And the last one featured him living his life exactly as the horoscopes said he should (i.e. today is your lucky day, but a Lotto ticket, you will benefit from an early night. So seriously did he take the advice, his girlfriend left him!)

Charlie

Waffle
20-01-04, 00:48
quote:Originally posted by Lottie32

Dave Gorman is ace. Hardly anybody saw his programme on BBC2, but both the series I saw were really good. I am Dave Gorman featured him travelling round the globe to meet other people called Dave Gorman. And the last one featured him living his life exactly as the horoscopes said he should (i.e. today is your lucky day, but a Lotto ticket, you will benefit from an early night. So seriously did he take the advice, his girlfriend left him!)

Charlie

Wooooooohoooooo ! I can see Lottie32 has good taste :) I missed the Horoscope one and I think I will never ever again have a chance to see it :( Sucks to be me..... :( I just found that out today and I am going to cry in my beer now :(

benoo5
20-01-04, 01:15
hi waffle,

contact the BBC ,they sell videos,of all there programmes...best wishes..bryan.

Hears The Water
20-01-04, 17:59
I do not know if y'all have these books in your local library, but here in the midwest of the the US, we have a lot of books by Christian authors. Which is just about all I read. I recently discoverd Stephen Bly. I read "The Skinners of Goldfield" series by him and the very first book "Fools Gold" has some scenes in it that had me literly laughing out loud. He also has another series called "The Ladies of Lourdsberg" that have some equally great moments in them. While the author is a Christian and there is no cussing, sex scenes or violence he does not come across as overly preachy either. I realy realy like all of his books that I have read so far. Perhaps one of you will too.
God bless you and yours
Debbie

theresa
27-01-04, 20:16
Thanx everyone for all the suggestions - enough there to keep me busy at my local library - what a great institution the public library is! I'll certainly try the Dave Gorman stuff - I like a bit of whackiness. Am reading One-hit Wonderland now which is about Tony Hawks' latest bet to produce a number one hit single anywhere in the world. After failing in Nashville he's now trying the Sudan! (For overseas subscribers Tony Hawks is a British stand-up comedian who has is not short of confidence, cheek and chutzpah.)

Theresa

sarah
27-01-04, 20:47
Hiya Theresa

They did a programme on tv about him and his bid for a hit...it was amusing to say the least. He was the bloke in 'Morris minor and the Majors' who had a number one in the 80's with Stutter Rap for any of you guys for a taste for useless facts...lol

love Sarah
xx