PDA

View Full Version : dieting and venlafaxine

Louise2009
23-07-09, 22:49
Hiya,

I am about to start venlafaxine for panic and anxiety. I am currently dieting and am scared that starting on this antidepressant might ruin my diet, as I've heard so much about weight gain on these meds. Has anyone here sucessfully dieted while on antidepressants?

Thanks for your help.

Shelby
27-07-09, 14:06
a few years ago i lost four stone, through healthy eating and going to the gym. it just takes a little longer.

cagedbird
11-08-09, 22:59
:-( i've gained weight since taking venlafaxine. Was 32" waist and could eat anything in the world, now 38" but eat less and more active. It sucks.

cagedbird
11-08-09, 23:05
:-( i've gained weight since taking venlafaxine. Was 32" waist and could eat anything in the world, now 38" but eat less and more active. It sucks.

karen34
17-12-09, 02:24
i too have gained weight (approx 5 stone) now my thighs are as fat as what my waist used to be :weep:

deepthought
03-01-10, 14:01
Me too I think. I got myself a personal trainer a year ago and have lost almost 3 stone. Diet and regular exercise works - don't believe anyone or anything that tells you different. I have been on venlafaxine for several years and I think it probably slowed my metabolism. People with depression tend to be less active anyway, in my experience. Regular exercise really helps me, even though its often the last think I want to do.

erin31
03-01-10, 15:46
I have to agree with deepthought. These meds do seem to slow your metabolism so you have to work harder to lose weight and keep it off.
I lost 3 stone while taking this med throught diet and going to the gym at least 3 times a week. Before taking these meds I lost weight if I missed a couple of meals!
I think if you're careful with what you eat and exercise as much as possible (I know it isn't always easy) you will be ok.