PDA

View Full Version : Where's the help?

Gregor
24-07-09, 01:41
I've just returned to the UK after being away for 18 months and am having difficulty re-adjusting to life here.

The main reason is because of the reluctance of anyone here to help me. By that i mean people who are employed by the government to help, who have either no training or no idea how to help!

I am currently living in a first floor flat and my main problem is a phobia against the stairs, thus i can't get downstairs without assistance.

Now, i thought i should contact people to help. Firstly, i want to register with a GP, but i cant get to the surgery without help. They wont help.

I spoke to social services to see if they could maybe appoint a social worker who could visit often to help me get out - not an unreasonable request - but they wont do anything unless i first get referred by my GP (whom i cant get to see!).

Now, the part about finances. I have applied for sickness benefits (which i'm more than entitled for), but have just received an initial rejection letter (after they did everything possible to delay the application), citing that i need to be in the country for a month (which i have), i need to show my passport (strange!) and provide details of my wife (who is still back in Peru on £200 per month!).

Housing Benefit also messed up in their application - they based their decision on the fact that i was already claiming Incapacity Benefit - i was not and hadnt been for about a year. That leaves me a long way short of the amount needed for rent and without any sickness benefits, i had to go some to make the rent up!

Finally, i relented and decided to ask about a crisis loan. If anyone was in crisis, i figured that was me! Apparently i don't qualify because, 1. they don't give loans to cover rent - 2. my father has been giving me money for food (he has no more money to give) - and 3. my wife works in Peru and should be supporting me! (she's on £200 pm!)

So, where's the help?

I'm sorry for going on, but i need someone to listen, because apparently i live on thin air and i'm no longer considered a British Citizen i think!

Gregor