PDA

View Full Version : New here and wondering...

Ferrus
23-09-05, 14:09
Ive only had major depression like I'm having now once before: and that was when I was obsessing over a near miss accident which could of killed me... however I was wondering if nayones experienced something similar. Ive started uni, and its fine, the finical sid eof things has made stuff worse (due to not getting help etc) but Im over that. The main thing that is depressing me, and this may seem stupid, but is the acadmeic repuation of the uni. See I'm going to Birmingham uni, which is fine but my A level grades were striaght As and A grades by quite some distance. Thing is I got 5 rejections from higher unis and I do feel as if I have no control over things: the ucas system has just kicked me in the face (And my aprnets wont let me reapply) and the one thing I actually have control over, that being the grades I got at A level seem phyrric victories. I know this may seem minor but I ahve been thinking of it constnatly, I cnat concetrate on anything during teh day and have klost all motivation. Whats worse is so many of my friends are going to higher unis often with lower grades and so its like a trigger everythime I hear it that drags me down.

mum2four
23-09-05, 14:33
I know what you kinda dealing with I haven't gone threw the exact same thing but I had this friend that started doing everything i wasnt to do. She had been given a a trust fund and she got brand new car then she had child(which she didn't care about) then she lied to get goverment payment and then had to remorgage her house that was preiviously fully paid for ect ect she still stuf ing up. Any way every time she did some thing different it would cause me to get so angry the I would stress out because I felt I had done nothing wrong and deserved to get just one lucky brack but instead I was having fianacial trouble and then both my partner and I lost our job and we were stuggling by to put my partner threw tafe to get a better job and all the while around us people were lieing to get money thay weren't entitled to it made me so mad. Evently I some how came the conclusion that I had stop letting it bother me and it took me along time to change my thinking and I still have day's where I want to scream about it but in stead I tell my self I am where I am cause today because of me and noone helped me get here and then I feel better slowly but I also have to distract my self with something compleatly different.

clickaway
23-09-05, 20:04
Hi Ferrus and welcome,

I have never been to uni - I'm 51 now and its was tougher to get there in my day.

We all have to accept that we all can't attend the 'higher' unis as you describe them - just imagine if we all got to the better ones....

Whatever university you're in, strive to do yourself proud. That's not the same as getting a first class honours or anything. Aim to do the best you can so you look back at your uni years with pride.

Many people who have been very successful in this world we live in have got there by character rather than by a string of qualifications. Its YOU that gets you on in this world, not the letters after your name, although they do sometimes help.

So my advice to you is to not to get too hung up about where you're studying. Just do the work, have a good time and be ready to face the world of work at the end of it.

Take care,

Ray

And when you get the choice to sit it out or dance, I hope you dance.
~Mark Sanders and Tia Sillers