PDA

View Full Version : Dont know where to turn

turnthelighton
24-07-09, 08:29
Sorry if I am posting this in the wrong place, I am in full panic mode right now......damn.

My son has had swine flu and has got over it, which is good news. I have had all the symptoms apart from the high fever, just hot and cold, bad cough, sore throat etc but symptom I am having trouble in accepting is the painful joints and muscles....I have had it for a week now and I just want it to go away. I keep getting shooting pains in my legs and I am so tired.

Should I ring the doctor or is this flu? I have never had flu before until now. Last night I was so scared about going to sleep just in case I did not wake up........

Sorry Guys for being so down. Thanks for listening

Jaco45er
24-07-09, 08:40
Hiya Light

I had flu a couple of years back, and I mean flu, not man flu ;). I was getting aches and pains all over, apart from all the other symptoms, aching joints and muscle pains lasted a good few days so I would say it's probably down to the virus.

If you are really concerned (i.e. a health anxiety sufferer like me), give NHS Direct a call, usually all that is needed is a little reassurance.

TC

Jaco

turnthelighton
24-07-09, 09:26
Thanks Jaco, is the pain in the joints and muscles that is really getting me down and setting me off in panic mode. Just phoned NHS direct and somone is calling me back.

LisaLisa
24-07-09, 11:41
turnthe lighton

How are you now? Did you speak to anyone? I think that the aching muscles and joints is what i remember most about the last time that i had the flu too. It was quite long lasting as well.

Have you tried taking ibuprofen?

Lisa
xxx

tiredOfOcd
24-07-09, 12:24
I get aching muscles and joints when I have a cold.

Although you have to wait out the flu, you can get meds to alleviate the symptoms (coughing, aching etc)

Other than that, all you can do is wait it out.

turnthelighton
24-07-09, 19:54
Hi Guys, sorry for the delay in replying. I rang my doctor who put me on to the special hotline for swine flu, sorry but they did not have a clue and prescribed me tamiflu even though I did not have all the symptons I would have to travel 40 mins to get it as it had all run out near me. So I rang NHS and the nurse was great, she said I had flu and took my HA on board and we had a long and sensible chat and she calmed me down. She said I was not to have the tamifliu as you can not take with Floxoratine (bad spelling).

I feel sorry for these guys on the new helpline as they have had no medical training and just tick the boxes as you answer the questions.

Anway, I am feeling a bit better now, the pains and aches are still there but I am trying to ignore them and as you say wait it out.

Thanks for all your replies on here, this site is a god send.