PDA

View Full Version : How do you cope at work

SamP
24-07-09, 15:29
I am at work but having a really bad day, It started when I was sat in the car with my husband and the dizzyness started, I froze and all I could do was look straight ahead but kept thinking how desperatly I wanted to get out the car. I have had the dizzyness all day and a headache which feels like someone has there hand on my head and is pushing down. I feel weird and shaky and have only been away from my desk once as I cant cope walking down the corridor as I feel I am walking into the walls. When I look down sat at my desk I feel my head is a couple of cm from the desk then I frighten myself and think I can hit my face and break my glasses. I hate it, I am so hot. I have not said alot to people at work as I know people find it hard to understand luckily the two ladies I share an office are off today but its scarey that my head wont stop spinning. I did try and poke my head out of the window to get some air but then I am scared about knocking my face on the window so I take my specs off which I tend to rely on doing alot. I cant wait to get home but even then home is still not a relaxing place for me as walking round the house I feel I am going to walk into everything. I keep thinking I need to do my housework over the weekend but even that is a chore as I am scared I will hurt myself while doing things such as knock my face. My arms feel like lead and I feel so sick.:frown: My hubby jokes and calls me a freak so I nickname my moments as freaky moments but I just want to be normal like i use to be.

den68
24-07-09, 16:40
do you have this problem everytime you are at work or just occasionly that is the first thing to look at. If its just a one off then keep telling yourself its just a one off, if it is all the time at work can you find an answer to why your anxiety is worse at work. If you find the answer to why then youll probably find a solution.
hope you feel better later
denise

ElizabethJane
24-07-09, 18:31
Sam I'm really sorry you are having a bad day at work. Hopefully it will have ended by the time you read this. Forget the housework this weekend just concentrate on some chill out time for yourself however you like to spend it. If you must do some housework then just do the minimum. The symptom of someone pressing down on your head is similar to something I have experienced in the past but I have put it down to the medication that I am on. Reading your post I really think that it is time that you had some sort of break whether that is going to the doctors and being signed off or taking some leave so that you can sort yourself out a bit. Your husband doesn't really know how to react to you so he reacts by being unsympathetic. I'm not sure how you will deal with this but by telling him that you are not feeling terribly well maybe he will understand a little bit? There are other remarks I could make but they are unprintable on here. So this weekend the number one person who is important and needs some looking after is you. I have realised that I haven't answered your original question. I am very lucky as I am able to work part time for someone who is also my friend. If I have a bad day my colleagues know that I suffer from anxiety and depression. If it is very bad I would probably try to hide it.

SamP
24-07-09, 21:05
Thank you denise and Elizabeth, you are all so lovely on here. It helps knowing that people do understand.:yesyes:
I am a little calmer now, had a nice chinese and browsing the web. I find it hard to relax but I have been looking on this site for tips. I feel really drained tonight from having such a bad day.
I love my job but I find I do get quite a few panicky days but not as bad as today.
You wouldnt think it but I have just had a week off work and been to Cornwall. I stupidly thought going away all my anxiety/panic would go away but it did still affect me some days while away but saying that i also had some nice good days.
Thanks again all

Tim2210
25-07-09, 22:48
I have issues at work too. I work in a Walmart behind the customer service desk and it gets real bad cause it gets hot and stuffy up there (Heat triggers my panic attacks) and there's like a claustrophobic feeling of not being able to get out. I try to focus on the customer's face or the register screen but it kinda makes it worse sometimes because of my eyes trying to focus with the fluorescent lights. I try to really focus in on the transaction I am doing or if its not busy I volunteer to run returns back to the departments or sort the damages so I can take a quick walk and just calm down. Thankfully my manager knows what my issues are and I've found I have a few coworkers that have similar anxiety issues.

SamP
27-07-09, 10:51
I have issues at work too. I work in a Walmart behind the customer service desk and it gets real bad cause it gets hot and stuffy up there (Heat triggers my panic attacks) and there's like a claustrophobic feeling of not being able to get out. I try to focus on the customer's face or the register screen but it kinda makes it worse sometimes because of my eyes trying to focus with the fluorescent lights. I try to really focus in on the transaction I am doing or if its not busy I volunteer to run returns back to the departments or sort the damages so I can take a quick walk and just calm down. Thankfully my manager knows what my issues are and I've found I have a few coworkers that have similar anxiety issues.

Hi Tim, Its good that you have an understanding manager and it sounds like you have things in control when your bad at work well done. :yesyes:

kate
27-07-09, 13:27
Myself, I panic in places where I know I would draw attention to myself and could not easily get away without people asking what was wrong. This, of course, applies to the workplace.

If you panic at home, either when at home or with close family/friends, then the fear of drawing attention to yourself is not there.

Whenever I've had panic/ felt odd at work, I take myself off to the toilet for a few minutes to gather myself back together. Might happen numerous times one day, hardly ever on another day, but I wont let it stop me working as without any kind of routine to my life, there is no point.

Kate

SamP
27-07-09, 13:59
Thanks Kate, I enjoy my job and I find when I am at work it can take my mind off things when I am concentrating on a job I am not panicking which is nice. Your right we cant let anxiety/panic get a complete hold of us

cathytink3rb3ll
28-07-09, 17:29
I have to take minutes in meetings sometimes and I find this horrible as everytime I stare down at the paper to write I feel so dizzy. SO then I am sitting dead straight whilst trying to write down what poeple say - which as you can imagine looks like proper scribble when I get it back and try and type everything up.....