PDA

View Full Version : Introducing... me!

Mr_Bonkers
24-07-09, 16:19
Hello!

I've been a long time lurker here, but this is my first post. I must say the information and wealth of knowledge here is fantastic.

I found this site while seeing "Dr Google" and I think it is one of the few times that that has been a positive thing!

Anyway, a bit about me:

I'm a trumpet player, and have played for over 20 years. In my band I was the principal (read: I took many solos) up until about 15 months ago. Standing up an doing my solos was never an issue - I just did it, I was good at it, and I loved doing it...

...until it happened.

It was during a performance, in the first half, I found myself thinking about the solo I had coming up following the interval. The more we played the more I was thinking about it. I have no idea idea why but I found that I was sweating, and it was becoming harder to breath. My heart started going crazy too. I continued to play and made it to the interval.

During the break I was still getting worked up, and by the start of the second half I was physically shaking. Other people in the band noticed too, which made me embarrased. I've done this hundreds of times before! Whats wrong with me!?

We began playing again, and my solo approached. I could feel pins and needles along my arms, and my heart was booming, and it began to ache in my chest. I could feel my blood pulsing in my neck, and I started feeling very light headed.

When I was due to play my solo, I elected to remain seated. I felt far too dizzy to stand. I tried to get my breath, but it felt like I just couldn't breathe in enough.

Somehow I managed to play my solo, and although I don't remember too well, I was told it was a good rendition. What I do remember still gives me nightmares.

While playing, the lightheadedness worsened, as did the pins and needles, and I seemed to see through a tunnel. It felt like I was watching myself from outside. The tunnel vision narrowed as I finished the solo, and I had a ringing sound in my ears. I couldn't really feel where my arms were. I almost dropped my trumpet, and I thought I was going to faint and fall off the stage. I just had to stop playing.

Again, the other players noticed, and we took another short break. I didn't return to the stage that night.

After the concert, I asked my 2nd if he'd be willing to take 1st chair for while - until I was feeling better, but now, over a year on I am terrified to play a solo, and have remained in 2nd chair.

I want to get back to my old ways, where I wasn't phased and knew I could do it. I really hope I can get the support I need here.

Thanks for reading my story.

Rob

Panikki
24-07-09, 16:46
Hi Rob,
What a great description of panic as i was reading i could almost feel the experience myself as the symptoms were so familiar I've felt these exact feelings when i try to stay in a situation where i start a panic attack...God you done amazing to stick out the experience and carry on playing i would have been out the door long before!
I think its fantastic that you still play even if you cant do the solo bit...hopefully that will resolve for you in the future..have you tried seeing your G.P. and maybe ask for cbt therapy...just a thought ...i'm not too sure what else to recommend as i'm a long time sufferer and still cant completely master the panics ...did have cbt therapy myself in the past and it helped get me from being nearly housebound to go out and working again...sadly after loosing my dad in november last year i have suffered a major relapse with anxiety and panic and i'm struggling to get through each day ..but i'm due to re-start therapy next week friday ..so fingers crossed! Hopefully some-one on here may have some other helpful sugestions ...take care jodiex

tasia
24-07-09, 17:46
Hay there Rob,
I agree that was a really good description of a panic attack...its so frightening but remember thats what it was and you can try certain things to overcome panic attacks.. i recommend you buy bachs rescue remedy you can get it in boots im always using this stuff its a spray and when you feel a bit anxious you spray it. It does work. You could try using this before you play your solo part...goodluck hope it works for you.

Veronica H
24-07-09, 18:31
:welcome: Rob. Glad that you have found us.There is a brilliant book by Dr Claire Weekes called 'self help for your nerves', published by Thorsons. This is available from the NMP Shop. Her work can also be downloaded free to your MP3 from the shop. I can't recommend this enough as it really explains what is happening to us, and how we can recover. This will get better.

veronicax

thebuzzer
24-07-09, 20:51
Hi Rob

Well, your description of what happened to you is so luck that of what happened to my best friend/bridesmade. She plays the french horn and euphoniam (sp). It sounds like the musician's version of stage fright. She went for hypnotherapy which worked a treat and she is now performing again, no worries. Have you thought of trying this? I am having hypnotherapy for anxiety and sleep problems, only just started, but I have noticed and improvement already.

Have a look in the main menu for the section on hypnotherapy it is a really good article, if you haven't read it alreadyy!!

Good luck Clare

Mr_Bonkers
02-08-10, 21:30
Hello again!

Firstly I must apologise for resurecting such an old topic (my first and only post on here) but its better than typing it all out again :)

Anyway, following my first post, and after reading your replies, things seemed ok for a while. I got a few different books on the subject too, and they help.

The problem, though, is that I am still terrified to play solos. But I'm not scared of making mistakes or doing it wrong, I am scared of having another attack.

An example, a few weeks ago, the current lead was running late, and I was obliged to take his spot. Throughout the performances, I was experiencing pretty much what I described in the original post here. Fortunately for me, he did arrive in time for his solo, and I was off the hook. Even knowing what it is, doesn't really lessen the intensity when I think about feinting on stage!

This is extremely frustrating, since I had rehearsed the part and, right up until that night, I was 100% confident with it. Almost 3 years after the original event and I am still affected by it :weep:

My doctor agrees that its anxiety and says I should reduce my background stress levels. Great :doh:

SOoo, I'm back again, and the suggestion of hypnotherapy seems to be becoming more appealing!

Vanilla Sky
03-08-10, 13:25
Hi and welcome to NMP :welcome: Paige x

Unhappy_uk
03-08-10, 20:42
Hello
:welcome: