PDA

View Full Version : Is this classed as OCD?

ANXIETY26
24-09-05, 11:20
For e.g. If im cleaning a room in the house. When I pull things of a shelf and put them back, I have to make sure that they are in the right position. I often put something on the shelf and then go back to it and turn it slightly or something. When Im washing my car, I have to wash it twice, may three times. I also tighten bottle tops too tight!!! Straaaaange!!!!

mjh74
24-09-05, 12:37
I would say it is yes.... Being a perfectionist falls into the catagory of OCD. I tend to write down numbers and read them over and over again making sure I have them right.

Mark

Meg
24-09-05, 22:10
You've got to be really going some to be OCD with these few symptoms.

There is generally an obsession - very time consuming all encompassing obsession, if I don't do x , y will happen - followed by the need to perform a task to neutralize the obsession. if I do Y then Z is ok

What you describe is more like being a high end perfectionist who likes things just so.. This is not OCD.

Meg
www.anxietymanagementltd.com

Your anxiety is the human representation of the pictures that you paint using your many vivid colours of revolving and reoccurring thoughts.
How big is your gallery ?

mjh74
24-09-05, 22:38
My first therapists for CBT told the group that perfectionism can be classed as a form of OCD, especially where repeated checking is involved. There was a 14 year old lad in our group at the time that had to get dressed repeatedly as his clothes wern't sitting correctly, this could take him an hour or more. I guess that's perfectionism to a greater extreme.

I agree with Meg though, I think you just have great pride in how things look rather than OCD.

Mark

Meg
24-09-05, 22:53
oooh I really like that Mark .... **I think you just have great pride in how things look** That sounds perfect for the situation.

I would be willing a wager that if that 14 yr old was known better, it would transpire that there was more issues behind his dressing thing than it first appeared.

Meg
www.anxietymanagementltd.com

Your anxiety is the human representation of the pictures that you paint using your many vivid colours of revolving and reoccurring thoughts.
How big is your gallery ?

ANXIETY26
25-09-05, 12:20
**I think you just have great pride in how things look**

Sounds like me :)

Paul Perfection.

seh1980
25-09-05, 16:38
Sounds like you jusy like things done in your way :D

"If life were simple, word would have got around"