PDA

View Full Version : How many of you are taking St Johns Wort?

tygwyn
24-09-05, 13:07
Hi Guys

I've been toying with the idea of taking St Johns Wort. I have anxiety (probably quite mild compared to some) but it is really getting me down. I am still able to function throughout the day but still am constantly thinking about whether I am anxious, or whether I am down because of my anxiety! obviously this is a viscious circle which I would like to break. I am taking plenty of vitamins which seem to be helping and I am not on any prescription drugs or the pill.

So my question is - how many of you are taking it? Has it helped for anxiety and/or depression?

Thanks in advance guys!

desperate
24-09-05, 14:43
Although this doesn't help I am thinking of it too!

First Anxiety...then panic attacks...now GAD and depression

lainey
24-09-05, 15:04
Hi Tygwyn

I am on St Johns Wort and have been for the last 12 months, I'm also on Omega 3, Vit B complex and Vit C.

I certainly feel it has helped me as I only lasted 4 days on Cipralex as the the thought of taking them actually caused quite a scary panic attack.

My anxiety has probably been quite mild compared to others too as I am also able to function normally throughout the day.

I have taken SJW a number of times over the last 8 years and it has always worked for me.

Hope this helps

Take care

Elaine x

P.S What part of Wales are you from ?
I'm Welsh too!!

tygwyn
24-09-05, 15:51
Hi Lainey

Thanks for taking the time to reply!

I think St Johns Wort is gonna be the way forward for me I've got to admit. Otherwise I'm just going to feel as though I'm sat here doing nothing about the situation.

I'm from Bridgend - how about you?

tygwyn
24-09-05, 16:18
<b id="quote">quote:</b id="quote"><table border="0" id="quote"><tr id="quote"><td class="quote" id="quote">Although this doesn't help I am thinking of it too!

First Anxiety...then panic attacks...now GAD and depression

<div align="right">Originally posted by desperate - 24 September 2005 : 14:43:03</div id="right">
</td id="quote"></tr id="quote"></table id="quote">

I don't think it could do any harm to try could it?

I was also wondering if you had thought about something regarding your signature? Tell me to sod off if you like but maybe putting something positive there might be more beneficial to you? I know everytime I read it I think "oh god thats the route its gonna take"! Might cheer you up a bit if you change it around showing that you're now on the up - or at least battling to be that way?? Like I said though - tell me to sod off if you like!

Take care xxxx

looby
24-09-05, 16:41
Hi tygwyn,

I did start taking St John's Wort but had to come off as I am currently on the contraceptive pill (as well as my other 20,000 tablets a day!).
Apparently it can affect the contraceptive bit of the pill.

Just thought I'd give you a head's up in case you're on the pill and didn't fancy any little tygwyn's!

Love
Looby
xxxx

Parker
24-09-05, 17:27
Hi

I've been taking it for about 9 weeks. I do feel lees anxiety on it but I feel this may be due to me coming to terms with my condition rather than any benefits from the St John Wort.

I've had no side effects whatsoever. Give it a go and see how you get on.

strawberrie
24-09-05, 17:39
hi tygwyn,

i used to take SJW and i did find it helpful. I heard somewhere that it is widely prescribed as an anti-depressant for mild to moderate depression in Europe which did reassure me as i must admit i never feel that herbal remedies will really work.

I do not think it has a particularly strong effect, it just takes the edge off your anxiety, i must admit that it wasn't strong enough for me when my anxiety got really bad and i stopped it and went on to prescribed meds.

Now i am coming off my meds i will probably go back on SJW, you just have to be careful to check with your doctor before taking any other meds while on it as SJW can interfere with these.

I certainly don't think there's any harm in trying.

Let us know how you get on.

Take care,
mag xx

Karen
24-09-05, 21:59
Hi tygwyn

There is a lot of information about this on the St John's Wort Info (http://www.sjwinfo.org/) site.

Karen

It is not easy to find happiness in ourselves, and it is not possible to find it elsewhere.

lainey
25-09-05, 09:22
Hi Tygwyn

I live in Cardiff, I found the coated SJW from Boots the best to take as the ones from the Health food shop look like rabbit food and can be quite off putting.

Take care

Elaine x

tygwyn
25-09-05, 09:34
Thanks Lainey!

We're quite close to each other then!

So did you take SJW for the anxiety or were you also a little depressed? What dosage are you taking?

My anxiety doesnt seem to be too much of a problem at the moment - I still get the churning tummy and a bit of a fast heart every now and again but I don't let it bother me. Whats bothering me most at the moment is that I'm quite low and am worrying that I might be getting depressed! GOD I WISH I COULD JUST STOP THINKING!! LOL

lainey
25-09-05, 12:44
I just take the one a day ones, Boots own make.
In Germany SJW is prescribed for mild to moderate depression by GP's. The first time I took it I was quite low and churny tummy etc and it certainly helped immensly.
It took longer to kick in this time due to the high level of my anxiety, but I got there eventually.

We'd all get better wouldn't we if only we could stop thinking. LOL!!!!!

Take care

Elaine x

Piglet
25-09-05, 16:50
Hi,

I'm the same as Looby, as I take the pill I can no longer take sjw.

Love Piglet :)

"Supposing a tree fell down, Pooh, when we were underneath it?" said Piglet.
"Supposing it didn't," said Pooh after careful thought.

desperate
26-09-05, 15:50
I joined this site when i was feeling mega low!

I hope that ending is a bit better!

First Anxiety...then panic attacks...now GAD and depression...now working on a better future!

tygwyn
26-09-05, 20:08
<b id="quote">quote:</b id="quote"><table border="0" id="quote"><tr id="quote"><td class="quote" id="quote">I joined this site when i was feeling mega low!

I hope that ending is a bit better!

First Anxiety...then panic attacks...now GAD and depression...now working on a better future!

<div align="right">Originally posted by desperate - 26 September 2005 : 15:50:29</div id="right">
</td id="quote"></tr id="quote"></table id="quote">

Thats better!! Positive words and positive thinking!! I feel better already just reading your signature. We'll all get through this together!!

"True acceptance means 'facing and relaxing' - it is submission" (Claire Weekes)

desperate
26-09-05, 20:30
Thanks,

I bought some SJW from the chemist today and am gonna look up a few things on the net later, i'm not sure how to read all the content and stuff! But i'd rather be on SJW for 6 months than SSRIs!!

Insomniac
07-10-05, 17:17
Hi all. Bit of a late addition, but I just read your post.

Its true you should be careful with SJW as it can affect other meds. I'm not taking anything else but have been taking Hypericum Complex, which is SJW (with Lemon Balm and hops added) as a tincture. You add it to water.

It doesn't taste very nice, but the tincture works faster than tablets and Lemon balmn & hops also help with anxiety and restlessness. Its made by Bioforce (or Avogel).

It has helped me hugely! My hubby says he can vouch for how good it is for me..

Lisa.