PDA

View Full Version : Mindfulness meditation

anxietyfree
26-07-09, 04:21
Hi! OCD fellows,

Please google search for this technique and try practicing it. Let me know what you think.

If you are interested in more meditation techniques for therapy, please goole search for Acceptance and commitment therapy.

I understand you all are thinking about your thinking and going down to deeper downward spiral hole.

The point is that you need to observe your thoughts and feelings like someone is watching you thought and feeling, and physiological reactions from your body.

Try not to engage with your thoughts and feelings. If your thoughts and feelings are too overwhelming you, you just need to watch them. For example:

"I am watching myself feeling anxious and panicky. " No more further thoughts!!!! No Judge and no what ifs

I will give you analogy. When a hurricane comes through your town, willow trees will survive, strong and inflexible trees will be damaged a lot.

You need to know to pick up your battle. Modifialbe negative thoughts need to be changed, but some goddamn haunting thoughts need to be welcomed.

Often times OCD thoughts become worse when you fight back. Just smile and welcome the ugly damned thougths and never try to engage with them and just try to observe. Not easy I konw you need to do homework.

Please let me know about your trial.

Bless you.

Veronica H
26-07-09, 08:08
:) Hi...I have recently started to practice mindfulness and acceptance, it is helping, and builds on the work of the great Dr Weekes. Practice is the key and finding the motivation to practice every day, which is the hard part!Thanks for this positive post. The Willow tree is a good analogy.

Veronica

cathy s
27-07-09, 04:43
Hello, I got the book The Mindful Way Through Depression which was recomended to me by an NHS CBT for anxiety group I went to. It's one of the most helpful things I've tried. Being a person who makes the mistake of trying to find answers and 'fix' myself from anxiety and unwanted thoughts instead of accepting it all and letting it run it's course, it has helped me to learn the art of mindfull meditation and to be in this moment right now, not changing anything. This has been invaluable to me. Even if I feel consumed with thoughts and anxiety and on the verge of having the call the doc for reasurance yet again, it at least provides a much needed complete break from it all for half an hour, and at best has stopped anxiety for the rest of the day. I'm also a fan of Dr Weekes.(appologies for spelling or any other errors - bit tired!)
Cathy

Cakey
27-07-09, 22:44
John kabat zim is the man you should look for. My CBT therapist suggested him and I bought 2 of his CDs off Amazon. He's American and it's very off the cuff but give it a go.

paullong
27-07-09, 23:38
heres a link,,,,,http://www.alternativedepressiontherapy.com/guided-meditation-for-depression.html