PDA

View Full Version : Problem

desperate
24-09-05, 13:52
My problem is that when i try and do things to cheer me up it makes me more down.

Like last night i went out for dinner and one drink with friends....i did ok there but not as good as i would like to be i guess..then i get home and can't go to sleep and end up getting like 3hrs sleep.

Today i feel extra down because i have tried and failed again...so what am i supposed to do to feel good? It just feels like i'm going round in circles here and nothing is making me feel good things just make me feel worse.[xx(]

First Anxiety...then panic attacks...now GAD and depression

paladin806
24-09-05, 15:36
Hi Des, i think i know what you are going through, only with me, its as though i have no right to have any enjoyment. Its not a case of trying and failing, because the trying is a big part of the victory over depression. Sleeping at all, is also a bonus, because i know that for a long while sleep was something i did in a chair or the car and my bed was the place that bought my worst fears to my attention. So be proud of what you are achieving, you are trying, and in trying you can overcome, maybe slowly, but its still a victory. Keep it up, and i am sure that with every tiny success you will get stronger, and life will be more managable. I hope i make sense, and i hope and wish you more and more success. Take care, John.

"I heard someone calling my name one day, so i followed that voice down the lost highway"

in1peace
24-09-05, 16:34
Desperate,
Are you in any therapy? I was really, really depressed back in July. It seemed like I could not get out of it no matter what I tried. Sometimes it takes asking a professional for help.
I like what Paladin said about being proud of what you are achieving. Taking small steps towards your goal of feeling better and patting yourself on the back for each step will be really helpful!
Hope your weekend gets better!
Thinking of you,
Andrea

"Honey, if ya ain't feelin' the bumps in the road, ya ain't goin' nowhere!" (A wise Georgia Granny's take on living life to the fullest! LOL!)

carlin
24-09-05, 17:26
Hi there,
I am sorry you are feeling a bit low right now, i think you have done really well, you went out for a meal and a drink, that is brilliant news, don't push yourself too hard or expect too much of yourself, one small step at a time, and i think last night you took a great big step, well done to you. I know exactly how you feel about the lack of sleep, that in itself is very depressing. take care and please keep in touch xxxxxxx

Elaine1
24-09-05, 19:01
Hi Desperate,

I'm with you on this one.

This was me a few weeks ago, so I can understand how you are feeling today.

Sleep deprevation is enough to make anyone feel low without any anxiety issues.

On the positive you had a lovely evening last night with friends, the only set back is you found it difficult to sleep afterwards. It may well be that you were up later than usual and went to bed without relaxing enough and your mind was to active for you to drift off to sleep!

Try and have a relaxing evening tonight, maybe a warm bath with some bubbles. Rather than tea too late in the evening I drink boiled water, then read in bed (well at the moment read very little and fall asleep - I promise a few weeks ago, I was just like you).

As 'in1peace' asked have you had any therapy, or indeed are you on any meds.

I am now taking 20mg of citalopram once a day and have started CBT and I believe they are helping. It's not the answer for everyone as we are all different.

Hope you have a peaceful night tonight. Try and not worry too much!

Take care

Elaine XX

desperate
24-09-05, 19:17
Hi all,

thanks for those replies.

i do see a theapist once a week and i have tried meds in the past but at the present am not.

i'll maybe reply more later, i am off to watch a film at a friends now.

im so tired i don't think i'll worry as much tonight!

desperate
25-09-05, 12:11
Going out for lunch now so am trying to say to myself...maybe you will enjoy it, the past isn't here now.

Karen
25-09-05, 12:37
Hi Desperate

Hope you enjoy your lunch.

Just go with no expectations about how you will feel or how it will go. You might be surprised and find you have a better time than you thought you would.

Karen

It is not easy to find happiness in ourselves, and it is not possible to find it elsewhere.

mum2four
25-09-05, 12:44
I will oftem feel bad or worse after doing something that I really know I'm allowed to do and intittle to do like bye clothes for my self of going out to lunch. I feel better sometime when my partner's step's in a tell me to stop and then say's somthing to make me smile but the anxiety over what I speant or did will bug me for day's sometime. I'm for eva saying that I HATE money and i wish the world never invented it. I have firend's and family that just tell me I'm being stupid we need money bla bla bla and miss the point of what of trying to do when i say something like that which is to vent to get the feeling's out so I can move on but instead i often end up with more anxiety due to the confrontation that follow's an out burst like that.

I'm still have a lot of anxiety over money and money related issues's but I'm getting past a fue of them bye just repeating over and over "STOP you are entitled to have a life so have fun and dont let anyone or anything stop you having what you deserve." Some time's I have to say it once and other time I have to close my eye's and breath and say it heap's then there are time's that i just cant get past it no matter how much what to. When i cant get past it i will shut my off from the world for a while and not put my self in any postion that might make the anxiety worse till i'm ready to deal with it again.

I really wish I could just stop thinking to much why weren't we born with on off switch's that would be so much easier. lol.[8D]

desperate
25-09-05, 15:58
well i got back from my lunch not sure if it made me feel better but i guess i don't feel worse either!

Karen
25-09-05, 17:04
Did you enjoy the lunch though?

Well done for going. Doing things like this and spending time with your friends will help. From where you were a week ago when you could hardly move from your bed, I think you are doing extremely well.

Keep going with it.

Karen

It is not easy to find happiness in ourselves, and it is not possible to find it elsewhere.

desperate
25-09-05, 17:31
Hi Karen,

yes that is true, that's why i think i am so unsure of the meds as i dont want to go back to that again i guess.

i don't know whether enjoy is the word or not though!

carlin
25-09-05, 19:06
Hi there,
Glad you went and 'sort' of enjoyed, practice makes perfect, as they say and i think where panic/anxiety are concerned that's very true. It will become second nature soon, you will not analise every thought and feeling and will just go home, relax and have a good nights sleep.Take things easy, and keep at it!!!!! xxxxx