PDA

View Full Version : Had enough

Karen358
26-07-09, 08:01
I've got up this morning and feel as though I've hit rock bottom. I was at the doctor's at the on Monday as I'd noticed a swelling at the top of my arm a couple of days before. He assured me it was nothing serious and with the use of an ice pack and ibruprofen it should go down within a couple of days. Afterwards as per usual I went through the "well what if he's wrong" and "what if the swelling doesn't go down" which only serves to maintain anxiety levels. By Friday I was still worried so went back to our 'sameday clinic' where the nurse practitioner basically patted me on the head and told me to go home and forget about it. I really not sure if the swelling is going down or not. It might be, but my brain tells me something different. This morning I have a pain in my thumb joint on the same arm and it's not as 'filled out' as on my right hand. I'm sure it wasn't like that yesterday. I've tried talking to my husband about it but all he said was "Oh well, I've got a pain in my toe". I want to scream. I'm fed up of feeling I'm not being taken seriously and I'm even more fed up of constantly worrying that I'm developing a terminal illness. I'm sitting here with tears streaming down my face because I've just had enough.

emma30982
26-07-09, 09:25
i know what you mean about not being taken seiously, i also have had problems with my gps that tell the problem is either anxiety or no serious, i hate them. Just ry to relax and if you start to notice it swelling more return to the gps and voice you concerns
take care
emma

countrygirl
26-07-09, 12:03
I know just how you feel and I get so fed up of constantly having worrying symptoms - not only having to put up and live with them but worrying about them also.
I find with my own GP's there are only 2 of them in the practise - I will tell them my symptom and also I tell them what I am worrying about even if it sounds totally stupid - as they say they are not mind readers and if they know something is essentially harmless they don't usually explian that to a patient as they don't know the patient is worrying like we do!
so if you are still worried tomorrow - go back to GP not nurse and explain what your worries are over this swelling and thumb pain - even if your worrying it cancer or MS, be honest and then your Dr can explain why he thinks you should not be worrying. See if it works its worth a try.

Valka
26-07-09, 21:02
I think we all know how you feel. It's horrendous when you get to this point where the anxiety is all-consuming, it's zapping away all your energy and happiness and you just don't see a way out. Also, for a lot of people who don't have health anxiety, it's really difficult to understand what we experience. They'll sort of shrug it off and expect us to just forget about it.

I totally agree with countrygirl, it really helps to be completely frank with your GP and explain exactly what you're worried about. I always go to the same GP now because we've discussed my health anxiety and she's aware that she has to build up trust and take me seriously. It makes me feel much better to know I can ask "silly" things so: "It's not cancer, is it?"

Karen358
28-07-09, 13:34
Thank you for your replies. The anxiety is still bad (have butterflies in my stomach the minute I open my eyes in the morning), even though the swelling does seem to have gone down, although only a very little bit. I've made an appointment to see my GP when he comes back from leave on Monday. At least he takes the time to listen to me and appreciates my concerns.

Thanks again.

Karen xx

pammy1944
28-07-09, 14:02
If i broke my leg im sure my doc would say it was my nerves !!!!!!

Karen358
28-07-09, 14:06
Sadly some doctors are like that. My own GP does take me seriously and he knows how much I worry - or completely panic as the case may be.

RosieXXX
28-07-09, 14:16
It makes such a difference if you have an understanding doctor, who understands that Health Anxiety is actually an illness in itself, and can not be brushed aside. I do hope you will be feeling more comfortable about your arm, and will be reassured once you see your doctor on Monday.

tiredOfOcd
28-07-09, 14:18
Just remember, people who DON'T have HA are going to understand it (at absolute best) in the same way a person who's been blind all their life understands the color red.

And, they're only going to approach that kind of understanding IF YOU TELL THEM you have HA.

So before you get mad at anyone, do they know what you suffer?

If they do, then remember that knowledge only goes so far.

Instead of looking for a level of understanding that is impossible to find, why not do something positive to help you control your anxiety?

Yeah, I know it isn't easy. I know EXACTLY how hard it is. But doing something positive for yourself is better than the alternative. Read this site for suggestions.

If you haven't explained your situation to your dr, then do so.

If you've explained your situation to your dr and they aren't giving you the kind of care you need, find another dr.

And remember, you've got to trust your dr. They've got the education and training and experience.