PDA

View Full Version : Medical research - future medication

NoPoet
26-07-09, 16:04
PsychoPoet Research Initiative
Aut viam inveniam aut faciam
http://i138.photobucket.com/albums/q255/nopoet406/pplogo.jpg

UPCOMING MEDICAL ADVANCES

Thought this might inspire a bit of hope. The following website is American, but I would think that any drugs successfully trialled in the USA will be imported to the UK before long.

There is an extensive list of new medications for various problems such as anxiety, depression and even psychosis. There isn't much information on some of the drugs. Some of the medications have successfully completed trials and are awaiting approval for widespread use.

The benefits of these new medications are usually quicker activation time (some of them start working within 7 days), easier tolerance, fewer side effects and ability to use alongside existing antidepressants.

Citalopram took 3 weeks before I saw any benefits and it was more than 6 weeks until I began to tolerate it properly. Imagine going through only 5 bad days before the clouds start to break... that would be wonderful.

Hope people find this interesting!

http://www.neurotransmitter.net/newdrugs.html
NOTE: This site appears to be updated regularly.

NoPoet
17-11-09, 11:50
AGOMELATINE ** UPDATED 14/12/09 **

There is a new drug that has been approved for use in Europe, and is waiting for approval in the USA.

The information in this article reflects the majority of research results I have come across. Agomelatine is a new medication and some of the available information is contradictory or otherwise unclear. If anyone who has actually used agomelatine can tell me their experiences I will be very grateful.

Agomelatine is the first antidepressant to target melatonin receptors, making it the first antidepressant of the melatonergic class. What this means for us in practical terms is that it apparently does not cause daytime drowsiness, weight gain or any sexual side effects, unlike SSRIs. It does, however, have a positive impact on the quality of a person's sleep, which appears to increase the effectiveness of the medication.

What may be even more important in the long term is that agomelatine is not believe to cause withdrawal symptoms when treatment is discontinued abruptly, even when the patient has been taking high doses. Withdrawal effects are one of the most notorious effects of more established medications such as SSRIs.

Agomelatine is effective against any severity of depression, but its effectiveness seems to increase the worse your depression is, making it a very attractive medication for the severely depressed. I have read more than one report which comes to this conclusion.

In trials, it proved as effective at combating depression as established SSRI medication. However, when you factor in the lack of withdrawal syndrome and comparatively reduced side effects, agomelatine could be the way forward for now. (Note, however, that SSRIs are also considered to have fewer side effects than other meds and look what happened to me when I started on citalopram. (http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/showthread.php?t=45973))

Finally, agomelatine appears to be useful against anxiety as well as depression, although one of the side effects may be temporarily heightened anxiety. Agomelatine side effects seemed to be at their most significant for 1-2 weeks during trials, but then again where have we heard that before.

Agomelatine contraindications

This is a new medication and I do not know about the long-term implications of taking it. Some research has been done into adverse drug interactions. However, there do not seem to be any horror stories floating about, and there are no known adverse interactions with existing SSRI medication or most other types of medication. You should avoid alcohol while taking agomelatine.

Agomelatine side effects

Agomelatine does have side effects which commonly include heightened anxiety, muscular pain in the back, dizziness and nausea. It is important that users have regular liver function checks. Side effects are supposed to become less severe over the first two weeks of treatment. It can take the usual length of time for agomelatine to become effective (eg approximately 1 month) but there is no clear evidence of this, and it seems to work more quickly in some people (e.g. sleep benefits become noticeable within one week).

There is conflicting evidence about daytime drowsiness, with some reports stating it was a common initial reaction, and other studies clearly indicating that no-one reported drowsiness.

It seems that in medical trials, the side effects of agomelatine were generally well tolerated, since fewer people discontinued the use of agomelatine than a rival, established medication.

UPDATE: According to the NHS Electronic Library for Medicines, in 14 medical trials the occurrence of side effects in groups taking agomelatine was similar to occurrence in groups taking placebo. This supports other research which states that the side effect profile of agomelatine is less severe than for SSRIs and other medication.

Spanish study

Spanish medical researchers have declared agomelatine to be superior to sertraline for treating severe depression. Agomelatine works more quickly and the researchers found that its beneficial effects on sleep meant the agomelatine began to work faster than sertraline.

After 6 weeks of treatment, agomelatine was clearly superior at reducing anxiety and depression. In every study there are people who discontinue treatment due to side effects. Fewer people gave up on the agomelatine than gave up on sertraline, which indicates that agomelatine either has fewer side effects than established medication, or the side effects that do occur are less severe.

Once again, it was noted in this study that agomelatine did not cause daytime droswiness.

The Spanish researchers concluded that agomelatine appears "promising" in the fight against major depression. However, it appears that this research was sponsored by the manufacturers of agomelatine. In fairness, the results of this research do seem to tally with the other investigations which have taken place over the last few years.

British studies

British research appears to indicate that agomelatine users may not be as prone to relapse as people who discontinue use of other types of antidepressant medication. Agomelatine users seem to have only a 22% risk of relapse after finishing a course of treatment, as opposed to nearly 50% of people using an established medication.

It is also thought that agomelatine could be useful against major depression that has resisted other medical treatments. This may be because it works in a different manner to established types of antidepressants.

However, there is not currently enough evidence to confirm either of these two points, and the British researchers advise caution when using agomelatine, as there are many better-understood medications available which do have a positive impact against major depressive disorder.

It is not likely that doctors will begin wide-scale prescription of this medication in the UK until more is known.

NHS Scotland

I read online that NHS Scotland has declined to use agomelatine as the manufacturer was unable to provide sufficient financial data about the medication. This is purely about money and does not reflect any concern about the medication's effectiveness at treating depression. However, at least one member of NMP was recently prescribed agomelatine by NHS Scotland, so it appears this policy has been rescinded.

Research on upcoming antidepressant meds

The newest treatments for depression seem to take a different tack to SSRIs given that SSRIs are not always effective, or take too long to have any benefits. So the upcoming meds either do not target serotonin reuptake (since altering the brain's reuptake of serotonin seems to be what causes the worst side effects), or they target this mechanism alongside other areas of the brain.

NoPoet
19-11-09, 14:05
ELECTRONIC MIND MAP

According to an article on cnet.com, scientists have successfully created a computer program that is capable of mapping the "wiring" of the feline brain and simulate the firing of its neurons in real time.

What this means in the language of those who don't watch Star Trek, is that they have basically created a computerised version of a cat's brain. As the feline brain is far less complex than ours, they were able to create an accurate representation of it using today's computer technology.

The reason for doing this is simple: they want to know how the brain is wired up and how that wiring works. By doing so, they will make a significant advance in the understanding of the human brain, which could have an enormous impact on medical science.

There is one problem. The human brain is by far the most advanced on the planet. It's 20 times more complex than the feline brain. This means that successfully "mapping" the human brain is going to take at least another decade. They created the feline brain just to see if it would work, and to pave the way for eventually creating a simulated human brain.

Imagine it: not only will our level of computer science be increased, but we could run simulations to find out why people suffer dementia, how the brain degrades with age, what happens in the brain of a person who is suffering from psychosis or depression...

The possibilities could, in theory, be limitless.

NoPoet
27-11-09, 18:58
KETAMINE

I've recently updated my Citalopram Survival Guide with information about ketamine, the well-known horse tranquiliser.

Research into ketamine is ongoing, as it has recently been noticed that ketamine offers rapid relief from the symptoms of depression. In fact, as little as one dose can have a "pronounced, rapid and prolonged response" against depression.

In one trial, it provided significant relief for depression sufferers whose condition was described by one researcher as "very treatment-resistant".

However, ketamine has many potentially dangerous side effects, and its use in humans is quite limited. There is no way that ketamine will ever be prescribed as an antidepressant. So if you are thinking of obtaining some, forget it!

Researchers are trying to find out exactly how and why ketamine relieves depression so quickly. We're talking a matter of hours after taking a dose. Today's medication usually takes weeks to have any positive effects.

It seems that ketamine, unlike modern antidepressants, takes a direct and potent course of action by actively targeting the biological causes of depression. This is already helping researchers to better understand how and why depression physically occurs.

Once our scientists have cracked it, they will eventually be able to create a new generation of antidepressants which act very quickly, providing near-instant relief from depression.

Speaking as someone who has struggled with citalopram side effects, and whose depression worsened during the early weeks when citalopram was still not producing any beneficial effects (but of course was producing some horrible side effects), this is really, really good news.

I hope they are able to get these new meds out soon! Think of the suffering that will be saved. Note, however, that ketamine has not undergone a large enough trial and due to its side effects is unlikely to do so.

THE GLUTAMATE SYSTEM

Research into ketamine, along with other current research results, has highlighted the neruotransmitter called "glautamate" as having a role in depression. Until now, the neurotransmitters "serotonin" and "norepinephrine" were the main focus of antidepressant research. Identifying the glutamate system as an avenue for future research just broadened our horizon in the fight against depression.

As ever, it will be a while before we start to see significant results from this research, but once again it shows that there is plenty of hope on the horizon.

looking4answers
27-11-09, 20:40
Veryyyyyyyyyyyyy Interesting.. Michael

NoPoet
28-11-09, 14:09
Thanks mate! I'm surprised more people aren't interested in this... then again, when you are suffering from anxiety and depression, the thought of waiting years for more help is not an attractive one.

bigmo
29-11-09, 11:36
Its good to read this and keep ahead with developments, how often do new things come out?

I thought about subscribing to this magazine, to see what new research/developments are ongoing, Mental Health Today Magazine (http://www.magazinesubscription.co.uk/subscribe-to/Mental-Health-Today-Magazine.html)

messianictalmud
29-11-09, 12:21
Sounds interesting especially the Agomelatine article.

NoPoet
29-11-09, 13:56
I'm considering talking to my doctor about agomelatine. Since it's practically brand new on the market (<1yr old) I'm doubting he has heard of it or will risk any possible unknown long-term implications from putting me on it. I'm willing to give it a go if there are less side effects and positive sleep benefits.

New medication is constantly under development. New techniques, therapies and ways of exploring the causes of depression are also underway all the time.

Breakthroughs are starting to come because of research into ketamine. Medical science is now starting to develop an understanding of how depression occurs within the body, which has not really had many results before now. When they find out exactly how depression physically occurs (e.g. what changes take place within the body) they will be in a far better position to stamp it out once and for all.

BexieB
30-11-09, 18:59
Hi Poet

Thanks for the research, my doc actually did suggest i take this new agomelatine, because a lot of my problems seem to be sleep related. He told me he couldn't wait to see how effective it would be (i'd be his first patient on it!!). I declined and stuck with an SSRI, but might look into it again.

Bexie

gcl86
30-11-09, 19:05
Really great read there sir! Like yourself phsyopoet my side effects were hellish for want of a better word and put me in a worse state than when i started off and to see that there could be meds that ease that and in a quicker time,wow!!
Can only get better med wise for future sufferers.

NoPoet
02-12-09, 22:21
I have made minor edits to the agomelatine post on page 1 of this thread.

BexieB, I cannot advise you to switch to agomelatine as I'm not a doctor and I do not know anyone who's ever taken it, and because it's so new we don't know what the long term implications might be, but to be honest if I were you I would be tempted to switch.

I've got a review with my doctor next week and I intend to mention it.

I am estimating that we will have some very effective depression treatments in about 10-20 years. I can't honestly see it taking longer than that as the world appears to be facing a crisis of mental health issues and something needs to be done to prevent it from getting out of control. This is a problem that faces every country in the world.

gxyslcuq
02-12-09, 23:43
"NHS Scotland has declined to use agomelatine as the manufacturer was unable to provide sufficient financial data about the medication. This is purely about money and does not reflect any concern about the medication's effectiveness at treating depression."

That's wrong, I'm from Scotland and have been on Agomelatine for just over a week now.

KK77
02-12-09, 23:49
AGOMELATINE

Agomelatine Update (2/12/09):

Spanish medical researchers have declared agomelatine to be superior to sertraline for treating severe depression. Agomelatine works more quickly and the researchers found that its beneficial effects on sleep meant the agomelatine began to work faster than sertraline.

After 6 weeks of treatment, agomelatine was clearly superior at reducing anxiety and depression. In every study there are people who discontinue treatment due to side effects. Fewer people gave up on the agomelatine than gave up on sertraline, which indicates that agomelatine either has fewer side effects than established medication, or the side effects that do occur are less severe.

Once again, it was noted in this study that agomelatine did not cause daytime droswiness.

The Spanish researchers concluded that agomelatine appears "promising" in the fight against major depression.

Finally, British research appears to indicate that agomelatine users may not be as prone to relapse as people who discontinue use of other types of antidepressant medication. It is also thought that agomelatine could be useful against major depression that has resisted other medical treatments. However, there is not currently enough evidence to confirm either of these two points, and the British researchers advise caution when using agomelatine, as there are many better-understood medications available which do have a positive impact against major depressive disorder.

It is not likely that doctors will begin wide-scale prescription of this medication in the UK until more is known.

NHS Scotland has declined to use agomelatine as the manufacturer was unable to provide sufficient financial data about the medication. This is purely about money and does not reflect any concern about the medication's effectiveness at treating depression.

Well, I nearly fell off my chair when I saw that the Spanish study you refer to was funded by Servier - the manufacturer of agomelatine! Who would have predicted that?... Other studies have found that agomelatine is of only "comparable" efficacy to paroxetine and sertraline, so I really wouldn't believe all the Big Pharma bull here.

I personally wouldn't take such a new drug. The long-term effects of playing around with melatonin and other neurotransmitters are unknown. And if it works as well as is claimed, what happened to the serotonin theory of depression? Eg, bupropion (Wellbutrin) acts on noradrenaline and dopamine and doesn't touch serotonin re-uptake yet it's as effective as SSRIs. Depression is obviously not as 2-dimensional and textbook-medicine-based as the experts think. But carry on with your research... It's very interesting.

NoPoet
03-12-09, 11:03
Thanks for the input everyone... remember that I am compiling this from research done on the internet, and I have to go with the most commonly available data. The most common data I can find indicates that agomelatine has generally superior effects to SSRIs, but I also acknowledge that no-one has enough experience with agomelatine.

Remember that all of the drugs and therapies in this thread are either experimental, theoretical or newly released, so we do not have 100% of the story.

Other studies have found that agomelatine is of only "comparable" efficacy to paroxetine and sertraline, so I really wouldn't believe all the Big Pharma bull here.I have just read my first study today which showed that over 6 trials, in 3 of them agomelatine failed to outperform placebo, but in the other 3 it significantly outperformed placebo and also beat fluoexetine. The same study confirmed that agomelatine does not appear to cause withdrawal symptoms even when a high dose is discontinued. Most of the information I have read (which were actual medical reports not sponsored by the manufacturer) indicate that agomelatine *may* be a step in the right direction.

That's wrong, I'm from Scotland and have been on Agomelatine for just over a week now. I will amend the part where it says NHS Scotland won't use agomelatine but that was the most up to date information I found. Obviously they have decided to change their policy. If you coould make a detailed post about the effects and usefulness of your agomelatine treatment, I would be very interested.

And if it works as well as is claimed, what happened to the serotonin theory of depression? Eg, bupropion (Wellbutrin) acts on noradrenaline and dopamine and doesn't touch serotonin re-uptake yet it's as effective as SSRIs.I also believe there are a wide variety of causes of depression which would explain why serotonin reuptake inhibitors don't always work. I believe in some people, targeting serotonin reuptake is what is needed to fix it, but medical research is getting broader and I think we will get closer to a "cure-all" treatment, or if that is not possible we will eventually develop specifically targeted treatments for each type of depression. Agomelatine seems to represent a step in this direction, an evolution of current thinking. If medical science is ever going to cure depression it needs to think outside the box.

NoPoet
03-12-09, 11:25
Agomelatine section has received a significant update. If anyone can give me more information about agomelatine, I will start a separate thread about it.

NoPoet
04-12-09, 00:22
Deep Brain Stimulation (DBS)

High-tech alternative to brain surgery, under investigation as a treatment for major depression, treatment-resistant obsessive compulsive disorder and schizophrenia.

In years gone by, psychosurgery was employed as a final line of defence against severe mental illness. This involved cutting a "lesion" into a specific area of the brain to try to reduce the symptoms of mental illness and/or depression. While in some cases this technique can be used today, psychosurgery is generally regarded as unnecessary, risky and even barbaric in the age of modern medicine.

Deep brain stimulation is a form of psychosurgery which can probably be regarded as less extreme, less risky and less "barbaric".

An electronic device called a "brain pacemaker" is inserted into a specific region of the brain. The region targeted depends on what exactly the pacemaker is trying to treat. Electrical pulses are sent from the brain pacemaker into the brain. These interfere with the activity in that region of the brain. In the case of a depressed person, this interference can provide substantial relief from the symptoms of depression.

There are indications that DBS may be effective against schizophrenia and research is ongoing.

At this point in time DBS is not considered a viable treatment for depression, OCD and schnizophrenia. Trials have not been extensive, the surgery carries some risks (see below) and there is disagreement about how DBS actually relieves the symptoms of depression etc.

However, research continues, and there have been some encouraging results which indicate that DBS may come into its own in the future as our technology and scientific understanding improves.

Side effects

The side effects are potentially life-changing and can be severe. The surgery itself may present serious complications, although I do not know whether or not these complications are common.

If the brain pacemaker is not inserted correctly, or the brain "shifts" during surgery (which is common but not serious provided the "shift" is noticed by the surgeons and the pacemaker is still inserted properly), all kinds of havoc might result. The effects of an improperly sited brain pacemaker can be personality changes and severe depression, although it is believed that these problems will be resolved as soon as the pacemaker is either removed or placed in the proper location.

In a small number of test cases, side effects of the DBS were symptoms of psychosis and even one failed suicide attempt.

Hallucinations, obsessive gambling, obsessive sexuality and depression were also noted as side effects following successful activation of brain pacemakers. Again, these side effects may be reversible following removal or relocation of the brain pacemaker.

Bill
04-12-09, 04:24
Interesting!:winks:

So like most ad's, this new one is supposed to be very effective for severe depression because it will lift the sufferers mood.

Finally, agomelatine appears to be useful against anxiety as well as depression, although one of the side effects may be temporarily heightened anxiety.

So in other words, it's also supposed to be effective in easing the "anxious symptoms" that our underlying anxieties, fears and daily stresses cause but you could feel even feel more anxious at first before the original "symptoms" settle.

Well, at least hopefully when we panic in shops because we feel too stressed at work or at home, the panics hopefully won't feel so frightening because we'll be feeling "happier" in our mood.:winks:

NoPoet
04-12-09, 23:24
Hi Bill, yes the agomelatine can increase anxiety at first like most antidepressant meds, but in the long run it seems to be useful at reducing anxiety overall. Agomelatine seems to increase its effectiveness the more severe a user's depression is. So if a person is suffering very badly with depression and/or their depression has not responded well to previous treatments, agomelatine seems to offer new hope.

I notice when I'm having a good day, eg anxiety and/or low mood are not present or do not interfere with my life, then I respond to stress, unhappiness and anxiety-causing situations in a more positive, assertive and constructive manner. This is what antidepressant meds are supposed to do for us full time.

NoPoet
14-12-09, 23:03
Well I've not had chance to do more research and there are no new developments regarding agomelatine yet - I just cannot find anyone who has been on it for more than a few days, which is not long enough to fully assess the medication's effects. This is an appeal for help, please let me know if you have taken agomelatine or you know someone who has.

In better news, the idea of agomelatine seems to be catching on, and its melatonin effects are slowly proving their worth against bipolar disorder and insomnia (http://www.dailystrength.org/treatments/Melatonin).

I still think the melatonin approach seems to be a good avenue for research. After all we've been developing serotonin medication for 50 years and we are still nowhere near developing a decent drug.

NoPoet
14-12-09, 23:17
Scratch that; I just found confirmation about side effects on the NHS Electronic Library, which states that over 14 trials, the occurrence of side effects for people taking agomelatine is similar to that in people taking placebo.

Ronny
15-12-09, 23:43
Hi I am a bit concerned with a lot of these new drugs out there at the moment,its abit scary I am old school and do Not take these synthetic drugs the side are effects are worse than the illness,and takes to long to work (if at all) Some of them turn you in to walking zombies.I still want to feel.I think we worry more about Meds, than having Cognitive Therapy because after all WE are the ones that created our panic and anxiety with our negative thoughts,usually bought on by some trauma in our life.My panic attacks are slowly subsiding,but still have extreme levels of high anxiety I just worry about everything.But i am one of the lucky ones I can and will learn to live a happy and healthy life:)Love and Merry Christmas Ronny

NoPoet
16-12-09, 18:31
The PsychoPoet Research Initiative is all about bringing hope to those who are forced to rely on meds because they cannot function without them. Natural recovery does not happen to everyone, and I for one am very sceptical about the ability of most vitamins and supplements to combat anxiety and depression.

This thread is here to let the world know that new and improved medications are coming, and there is hope for those who will be on meds for the foreseeable future.

EmmaJane
16-12-09, 18:43
Very interesting.

mapmaker
06-03-10, 18:05
I found this treatment therapy available as an option for depression. And it is drug free. It is electromagnetic stimulation of the brain using magnetism. It is approved for use in the US. You might want to investigate it more. after all the brain is an electrical, chemical organ.. not just a chemical one.

I'm convinced to change mental illness doctors need to change the chemistry and the electrical pathways in the brain to return both to a more normal mode of operation. Unfortunately we lack the technology and knowledge to understand how to do this at this time. (Which really annoys the heck out of me). But this TMS (Transcranial Magnetic Stimulation Therapy is a step in the right direction.

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/transcranial-magnetic-stimulation/MY00185

I can imagine in the future there will be a device that is put on a person's head that will analyze your brains electric flow and chemical makeup to see what isn't working right. And then will have another device that will literally rewire your neurons and neuron pathways so the electrical and chemical function of your brain returns to normal. But that is a day far from today... unless a miracle discovery takes place in the next few years.

(This is me thinking outside the box of pills).

Mrsmitchell1984
18-04-15, 03:05
This is all very positive and hopeful.

I would imagine anyone that discovers a cure all tablet will make millions- and so I am sure that is an incentive to ensure this happens soon.

I am just going to think that 10-20 years time- depression will be as common as whooping cough!! X

MyNameIsTerry
18-04-15, 06:39
Well agomelatine failed to be reviewed by NICE in 2011. The reason was "because no evidence submission was received from the manufacturer or sponsor of the technology."

Thats not very good then, that the manufacturer didn't even try!

Basically, trials by the manufacturer were as a 1st line medication and they seem to indicate that they didn't compare to all those in the scope of NICE guidance which precludes them from creating an economic case.

So, reading between the lines it could be a lack of real evidence or the fact they want a higher price or both.

Basically a fail.

There are also medical references online related to a Cochrane Collaboration reviews explaining that publication bias was found and upon requesting all studies to be submitted, the manufacter made no attempt to make contact.

Sounds a bit fishy doesn't it?

---------- Post added at 06:25 ---------- Previous post was at 06:22 ----------

I found this treatment therapy available as an option for depression. And it is drug free. It is electromagnetic stimulation of the brain using magnetism. It is approved for use in the US. You might want to investigate it more. after all the brain is an electrical, chemical organ.. not just a chemical one.

I'm convinced to change mental illness doctors need to change the chemistry and the electrical pathways in the brain to return both to a more normal mode of operation. Unfortunately we lack the technology and knowledge to understand how to do this at this time. (Which really annoys the heck out of me). But this TMS (Transcranial Magnetic Stimulation Therapy is a step in the right direction.

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/transcranial-magnetic-stimulation/MY00185

I can imagine in the future there will be a device that is put on a person's head that will analyze your brains electric flow and chemical makeup to see what isn't working right. And then will have another device that will literally rewire your neurons and neuron pathways so the electrical and chemical function of your brain returns to normal. But that is a day far from today... unless a miracle discovery takes place in the next few years.

(This is me thinking outside the box of pills).

I looked at TMS around October 2014 and found it is only licenced in the UK for migraines. However, you can buy personal devices which haqve come from the US such as the Alphastim which work this way. Whether they work, I'm not sure but they are quite expensive to the personal user at upwards of £300+. Thats quite a punt!

NIMH were conducting research into TMS probably a decade ago so they will have some studies if people want them. Just be aware that you may also come across a certain anti anxiety "guru" slating NIMH for this and stating they are using "electro shock" treatment which is complete rubbish! Besides, the NHS use it for migraines now!

---------- Post added at 06:29 ---------- Previous post was at 06:25 ----------

Deep Brain Stimulation (DBS)

High-tech alternative to brain surgery, under investigation as a treatment for major depression, treatment-resistant obsessive compulsive disorder and schizophrenia.

In years gone by, psychosurgery was employed as a final line of defence against severe mental illness. This involved cutting a "lesion" into a specific area of the brain to try to reduce the symptoms of mental illness and/or depression. While in some cases this technique can be used today, psychosurgery is generally regarded as unnecessary, risky and even barbaric in the age of modern medicine.

Deep brain stimulation is a form of psychosurgery which can probably be regarded as less extreme, less risky and less "barbaric".

An electronic device called a "brain pacemaker" is inserted into a specific region of the brain. The region targeted depends on what exactly the pacemaker is trying to treat. Electrical pulses are sent from the brain pacemaker into the brain. These interfere with the activity in that region of the brain. In the case of a depressed person, this interference can provide substantial relief from the symptoms of depression.

There are indications that DBS may be effective against schizophrenia and research is ongoing.

At this point in time DBS is not considered a viable treatment for depression, OCD and schnizophrenia. Trials have not been extensive, the surgery carries some risks (see below) and there is disagreement about how DBS actually relieves the symptoms of depression etc.

However, research continues, and there have been some encouraging results which indicate that DBS may come into its own in the future as our technology and scientific understanding improves.

Side effects

The side effects are potentially life-changing and can be severe. The surgery itself may present serious complications, although I do not know whether or not these complications are common.

If the brain pacemaker is not inserted correctly, or the brain "shifts" during surgery (which is common but not serious provided the "shift" is noticed by the surgeons and the pacemaker is still inserted properly), all kinds of havoc might result. The effects of an improperly sited brain pacemaker can be personality changes and severe depression, although it is believed that these problems will be resolved as soon as the pacemaker is either removed or placed in the proper location.

In a small number of test cases, side effects of the DBS were symptoms of psychosis and even one failed suicide attempt.

Hallucinations, obsessive gambling, obsessive sexuality and depression were also noted as side effects following successful activation of brain pacemakers. Again, these side effects may be reversible following removal or relocation of the brain pacemaker.

I think you might want to update this one because there are NICE reviews out there detailing more alarming side effects to this such as; risk of stroke, confusion, speech disorders and visual problems.

Its used for Parkinson's.

I really can't see an invasive surgery being used for anxiety disorders...it would be back to the Bedlam!

---------- Post added at 06:39 ---------- Previous post was at 06:29 ----------

THE GLUTAMATE SYSTEM

Research into ketamine, along with other current research results, has highlighted the neruotransmitter called "glautamate" as having a role in depression. Until now, the neurotransmitters "serotonin" and "norepinephrine" were the main focus of antidepressant research. Identifying the glutamate system as an avenue for future research just broadened our horizon in the fight against depression.

Glutamate is the main excitory neurotransmitter and also the precursor for GABA.

Maybe in the future this will be incorporated into some form of "RI" along with the rest by I'm mindful of SNRI's which haven't been shown to be any better than SSRI's plus with have more modern versions of these which pull in Dopamine yet don't seem to be taking off.

Ketamine seems to remain off label and the reserve of the emergency depts but who knows in the future when we are old & grey, eh?

pulisa
18-04-15, 08:23
My daughter was prescribed agomelatine (valdoxan) by a private psych and her prescription was carried on by the GP. It didn't do much though and comes with the bonus of having to have liver function tests done regularly. is this drug still around?

MyNameIsTerry
18-04-15, 08:42
My daughter was prescribed agomelatine (valdoxan) by a private psych and her prescription was carried on by the GP. It didn't do much though and comes with the bonus of having to have liver function tests done regularly. is this drug still around?

Yeah, its showing up in some documents about cross tapering I just read dated October 2014.

According to NHS Choices its available for depression and mood disorders so if it gets used for anxiety it must be an off label job. Its 3rd line in depression by the looks of it so I doubt its within the remit of a GP other than like in your example.

One NHS document from last October actually states that there is no formal agreement with GP's to take over prescribing it from an in-patient setting so it must have an agreement with CMHT.

NoPoet
20-04-15, 00:14
Wow, I remember this thread. I've come a very, very long way since starting this. In the last couple of years I've made far more progress through therapy and self help than I ever did with medication. I realise that the worst of my illness was, and continues to be, fear of the illness itself - what I'm going through, what I'm thinking, what I'm experiencing. Learning to accept that, and to carry on with my life even when the anxiety is almost paralysing, has slowly and painfully taught me that the key to recovery comes from within us. Human endurance, human perseverance and human courage are worth more than any drug.

Medication can be helpful, in some cases it makes all the difference, but in the end it comes down to a choice: we must choose whether to stay down or get up.

When I re-write the Citalopram Survival Guide, I will update any information that's still relevant about existing and future treatments, but anxiety boils down to an illness taking things away from us, and recovery is about going out there to get them back.

MyNameIsTerry
20-04-15, 04:45
There might be some more interesting studies for your inositol one too. I was reading about that and found your thread via Google!

dally
09-11-15, 06:52
Wow, I remember this thread. I've come a very, very long way since starting this. In the last couple of years I've made far more progress through therapy and self help than I ever did with medication. I realise that the worst of my illness was, and continues to be, fear of the illness itself - what I'm going through, what I'm thinking, what I'm experiencing. Learning to accept that, and to carry on with my life even when the anxiety is almost paralysing, has slowly and painfully taught me that the key to recovery comes from within us. Human endurance, human perseverance and human courage are worth more than any drug.

Medication can be helpful, in some cases it makes all the difference, but in the end it comes down to a choice: we must choose whether to stay down or get up.

When I re-write the Citalopram Survival Guide, I will update any information that's still relevant about existing and future treatments, but anxiety boils down to an illness taking things away from us, and recovery is about going out there to get them back.

Well said no poet.
Meds are very useful, infact necessary in some cases. But I would say only for short for courses. I believe the way forward is behavioural therapies and being taught to understand our bodies and minds