PDA

View Full Version : Taking Propranolol without raised heart rate symptoms?

tim73
28-07-09, 12:09
Just wondering if propranolol does anything at all for anxiety/tension symptoms I get when I don't really have a raised heart rate or pounding heart.

Sometimes I do get the heart rate/pounding symptoms and it works fine, but frequently recently my heart seems quite relaxed but my arms feel so tense they are almost burning and I get a pile of other symptoms (nervous stomach, tiny head 'twinges' like a headache that lasts a couple of seconds in a specific area, and a few odd aches around the body).

I'll try the propranolol anyway, but I'm not sure it does anything other than just lower the heart rate. Or is it the blockage of adrenalin that's key (i.e. can adrenalin cause other tense symptoms and not always a raised heart rate?).

valleybear
28-07-09, 12:18
I was initially prescribed Propanalol for ectopic beats and continue to take it for anxiety and adrenaline blocking as I think the latter can cause panic symptoms. Sorry, not much help but give it a go anyway and see how you go on. Good luck.

Geoff2301
28-07-09, 18:42
I used to take another beta-blocker... Atenulol..... and that took away tension in the arms so could well do the trick

sharona
28-07-09, 20:41
Hi

I take antenolol,a beta blocker and it does stop the tension as well as the anxiety surges. Hope you are well.

Sharona

tim73
28-07-09, 22:02
Cheers. Was just wondering if it's worth bothering. Took a 10mg and I'm not sure it made much difference. Usually find I need 20mg to sort out the pounding heart I sometimes get though.

chick520
28-07-09, 22:22
Hi there,

Im prescribed propranolol along with vallium for flying, the doctor told me the propranolol decreases the physical symptoms of panic, reducing your heart rate etc and the vallium suppresses your mind.

hope that helps!

nineteen
16-09-09, 14:15
i take 40mg of propranolol, onli bin on them a couple days and already i do feel better, maybe u shud up ur dose?

tim73
16-09-09, 21:58
I remember when I first got them, the doctor at the time said just take what works essentially. Start with 10mg and step it up. Different people react differently to them also. They're fairly safe with probably the only key side effects being to make you too chilled out and sleepy :D

I'm over most of the current hassles though at the moment and haven't needed the stuff for a while. Still, got enough just in case.

marchant
19-09-09, 18:59
I remember when I first got them, the doctor at the time said just take what works essentially. Start with 10mg and step it up. Different people react differently to them also. They're fairly safe with probably the only key side effects being to make you too chilled out and sleepy :D

I'm over most of the current hassles though at the moment and haven't needed the stuff for a while. Still, got enough just in case.

Hi

Over 30 years I have taken propranolol as and when, and yes different people react differently. I use 10 mg [only max of 2 per day] and find an effect within half an hour. They seem to take the edge off things without being addictive. Side effect is as you said - bit chilled out, plus possible cold hands and toes. They should not be taken if you have asthma. My GP has always been happy with the as and when approach, they can also aid confidence when doing a 'face the fear and do it anyway situation' I do not think that they effect adrenaline at all.

Steve

tim73
19-09-09, 21:12
Yeah, my GP basically just advised the as and when approach. I've got them on repeat prescription too. Barely used them at all after my first incident last year, but then things kicked in this year again and took some as and when and just got a new batch when I ran out. Now I'm not really needing them as things have calmed down.

I do find 20mg makes a difference, but 10mg doesn't do all that much, but that's me.

Interesting about adrenaline as that's what the GP told me. The theory is that you get a fight & flight response in the body which produces adrenaline and that kicks off the heart rate, and the problem I was having was I was getting this response for situations where it's not required and hence beta blockers help get the body back to a normal situation.