PDA

View Full Version : Fear of vomiting

Redthistle
28-07-09, 17:01
I hate vomiting, I don't just hate it, I'm terrified of it. Whenever I get ill, or if someone around me is ill I always get really panicky and end up in tears because I'm so scared that I'm gonna throw up. How can I stop this? What is the fear called?
Thanks all.
Rita

kafebrown
28-07-09, 18:10
emetophobia I had this when I was younger. It all started when I vomited in assembly at school - it was so embarassing! For years I was really careful about what I ate, wouldn't eat food from takeaways etc. I avoided friends who had recently been unwell.
I never told anybody about It and nobody ever mentioned it! I cant really tell you how to get over it, think I cured myself by getting pregnant, I had no control over the sickness then! Im not suggesting for minute you do this! lol. What about hypnotism? Ive heard this can work well for phobias. Hope you find some help, let me know, Im interested. Good luck, Angela xx

sweetypie
28-07-09, 18:53
its emetophobia im suffering really bad atm
if you ever need any one to chat to pm me
the only time i got over my phobia was been pregnant too
i luckly sufferd none with my first but my second i was nausea's all the way upto 26 weeks
i took all sorts of anit sickness meds but had to be very carfull the doctor gave me some and it knocked me out for a day and i was 20 weeks pregnant he new i was obviously but i thought i was just going to hack it out from then on
im on anti sickness meds now to try and ease my mind but still doesnt work

Angelai
28-07-09, 21:25
I'm 'emet' too, sorry you've had to find us :hugs:

No-one would wish this phobia on their worst enemy, but it really does help to know you're not alone. :welcome: to the site Rita x

maeanna
28-07-09, 21:33
Hiya and welcome! There are loads of people with Emetophobia on here and if you search the forum you will find loads of threads about it. Hypnotism with NLP is suppose to work well and at present I am currently saving up for it coz the NHS waiting lists are usually quite long! well in my area anyhow!
In the mean time I take Bachs Rescue remedy to help chill me out and have started taking 5-HTP to help with severe anxiety but this site is brill for info on various types of therapies etc so have a read thro. Please feel free to PM me if you want to chat. Ive had Emetophobia for 25 years and am trying my best to get rid of it!!!
Best Wishes

SharonDerby
29-07-09, 10:52
Hiya i'm the same years of suffering.
If i knew how to get rid of it i'd tell the world for free because like angela above has said you wouldn't wish this phobia on your worst enemy.
I to this day watch what i eat and where i eat although i have to stress that it isn't as bad now as it was all those years ago i do eat more now and more varied, back then i lived on toast and crisps.
All i can say is it has got easier over the years but when your stressed (sometimes without realising) whatever you fear the most will become much more exagerated no matter what phobia it is, i have said on another post recently that i'm living proof of this theory because i have been managing my anxiety and stress ok for quite a number of years, but after recently going through some stress (which i thought i was managing) it has crept back up on me and i'm struggleing daily again very bad right now too.
You will get great support here visit ev day and read some great tips and stories it will help just knowing you are NOT alone.

Sharon :)

Marla
09-08-09, 15:18
Hi
I am also 'emet' as well as suffering from general anxiety disorder. I think it was always there somewhere in the background but has really come to the fore over the last few years. I am back for the 2nd time at cbt and she reckons I need to quit the 'avoidance thing'. Basically I just want to cut myself off completely when I hear there is a bug!!
Take today for example...happily I went off to the gym...half way through my workout the trainer on duty informs me she had a bug yesterday etc...workout ruined..managed to stay for about 10mins and then had to leave! In the car ...out with the hand gel..trying hard to tell myself it's ok I didn't get too close to her!! But then I start worrying that my hubby will catch it from someone and bring it home to me...cos of course he won't wash his hands unless I nag!!God where does it all end? To top it all off I work..wait for it... on a ferry. Lots of potential problems there...sea sickness...general public spreading germs...my life is just one long hand washing session.
I have though started taking Bvits and inisotol and using aromatherapy oils to try to keep me calm ( The doc gave me prozac but the side effects were horrible) I have also bought claire weekes ' self help for your nerves' so here's hoping I can try and turn things around.

Good luck to all fellow 'emets'

Marla

maeanna
09-08-09, 20:48
OMG Maria how on earth do u cope working on a ferry?!?!!! wow! i wont ever go on one again after a school trip 17yrs ago when someone was ill on one and i freaked out! I would say ur doing extremely well as i am way more avoidant of most situations!!!
Best Wishes,

Marla
10-08-09, 16:25
To be honest going to work has got harder over the years but I keep telling myself I need to pay the bills and I have been there for 17yrs now! I do however do the avoidance thing with just about everything else...can't remember the last time my hubby and I had a night out...this then makes me feel guilty and down because I know he is suffering because of me!!
Couldn't sleep last night and when I did eventually woke at 8am feeling ill...not sure if it was anxiety ( supposed to go to a friends house tonight for her 40th ) or if there was actually something wrong. Its really hard to distinguish between the physical feelings of anxiety and actual illness :scared15:

Marla

maeanna
11-08-09, 07:50
well done for working for 17yrs and on a ferry :o) i think thats amazing for an emetophobic!!! i struggle to hold down jobs coz as u say its hard to distinguish between anxiety and actual illness and thats something im trying to work out at the moment! why dont u and ur hubby try and start out with a little nite out doing something u really wana do?
I have to really make myself do everything at the mo but did go to the theatre on sat and kept expecting the anxiety feelings to start but they didnt prob coz i kept trying to distract myself and telling myself i really really wanted to see the show! so with distraction,positive thinking and ur hubby u can do it :o) I feel guilty coz my partner loves clubbing and obv thats my worst nitemare but i have been a couple of times coz i felt so guilty but i actually didnt enjoy it and my partner could see that i was so uncomfortable and just wanted to go home but i did stick it out til midnite!!! :o)
Best wishes,

hemi1969
01-09-10, 03:53
hi im 14 years old and i really worry about vomiting also i really watch what i eat and look at dates on many things i cant be around lots of people in a small area otherwise i start feeling really anxious i thought i was really lonely with this but i found this website can anyone let me know what symptoms you get before vomiting so i can compare with my anxiety ones

fairyclairy
01-09-10, 18:57
Im emet too... and after all the posts iv wrote on here, i never really knew how many of us on here actually suffer from this! Id hate to sound selfish.. but im so glad im not alone!

Its a truly awful, debilitating phobia and it is on my mind every second of every day... and as many have already said, i wouldnt wish it on my worst enemy!

Mine started 11 years ago on my first day of highschool when i was sick infront of all the yr 11's... i dont remember it as a bad experiance because the teachers and classmates helped me and my mum picked me up... but therapits have said this is where my fear came from! I supose it was the embarrasment factor because even to this day i carry a plastic carrier bag around in my handbag 'just incase' but i couldnt bare being sick... but being sick infronf of people (like the first day of highschool) would be absolutly terrifying!

I cant explain why i dont like vomit... i dont know if its the feeling, wrenching, embarrasment or just knowing you are ill and cant control your body... but whatever it is, it has a very strong control over me!

I have done CBT to help with this phobia - firstly when i was 16, and it helped enormously! I was almost panic free for a year (phobia still there, but not avoiding anything, panic attack free) and then like someone has said on here... family stresses, 22 yr old brother going to cancer and various other things happened which i thought i was coping with... turns out i wasnt, and the panic slowly crept back, with avengence!!

I did CBT again a few months ago and we did de-sensitisation with vomit.... looking at pictures, watching videos, making 'sick' etc etc, which i know sounds awful but i would recommond because i never thought id even be able to handle looking at a photo of vomit but there i was GETTING BORED!! of this photo of really discusting, close up vomit!!

My phobia is still very much there - i need to continue de-sensitisation etc but im trying not to avoid things as much.... anxiety is soooo strong though! This phobia brings me constant anxiety, daily panic attacks, another fear of fainting, slight social anxiety and massive health anxiety... but i am trying to face each one!

I started my first job last October after uni and i absolutly love it, so i am determined not to let this fear ruin it for me... everyone at work is sooooo nice and supportive which also helps alot!! I would also advice telling people around you of your fear - some people prefer to keep it to themselves because they fear of what people will say but all i can say is, the amount of people i have told... NO ONE has ever said/done anything bad and i have always had enormous support.

Sorry for going on, i just feel very reassured knowing so many people have this phobia and im not suffering alone.

In regards to your question Hemi1969 - I cant really seperate the feelings of anxiety from this phobia and feelings when your actually going to be sick.... because anxiety can bring these feelings on sooooo strong when you're not actually going to be ill! Things that help me are; if these feelings of sickness have come on suddenly, you are unlikely to be unwell because a stomach bug or something doesnt tend to suddenly hit you and make you sick, whereas panic CAN suddenly hit you (but doesnt make you sick!)
Another thing is, if i am hunger whilst feeling weird or sick, i know i am unlikely to be ill because if you had a stomach bug, the last thing you'd want to do is eat!

Panic symptoms are soo strong and there are soooooo many, which can be the same as actual illnesses so it is hard to distinguish... thats why i find it so hard sometimes not knowing if i am actually ill, or just anxiety..... and 99% of the time, its just anxiety!!

Hope iv helped atleast someone out there :) xx

HelenLouise
01-09-10, 20:43
I'm "emet" too! I have been since i was about 9 and I'm 20 now :(!
It has only really started to get out of control this past year though.

It really is an awful phobia. To be honest, every phobia is awful but i think the problem with emetophobia is that its a fear of something you can't run away from because if you feel sick - you're stuck with it.

Mine came from an uncomfortable sickness experience I had when I was 9 - I haven't been sick since. *touch wood*
It would be nice not to constantly obsess over vomit and nausea - it's so unpleasant.

I'm glad you found this forum - at least on here everyone understands and all us emetophobics are in it together!
I usually try and manage my phobia with frequent hand washing and sanitising, also sucking mints, drinking ginger ale and pepto bismol if i feel queasy :(!
I have these tablets you can get from any pharmacy which are anti sickness drugs that are used if you have nausea etc from a migrane but i've been told they work for if you have a bug as well so i stock up on those haha.!

On one of my mad googling moments I came across these hand sanitisers, body washes and home cleaners that actually kill noro virus and all types of food poisoning bacteria. So using those keeps me calm.

I just wish humans had evolved without the ability to vomit - the world would be a happier place then :P!

I would try speaking to a proffessional about your emet, i'm still waiting for Cognitive Behavioural therapy ='(!
You will always have a great support group on here though =D!

As for your question though, I'm the same as Fairyclairy - I can't separate the anxiety from actual illness.
What I often do if i feel sick though is think about my favourite food, if i fancy it or the thought of it doesnt bother me then it is panic and if it makes me feel sick then its the real deal.!

&& @ fairyclairy - I carry a bag every where too :P just incase! The thought of actually being sick terrifies me but in public - so much worse!!!

xxx:hugs:

fairyclairy
01-09-10, 21:38
lol glad to hear someone else carries around a plastic bag - not revealed that strange hamit before! :blush: The things we do hey..

Id love to meet someone who suffers from this, this site is amazing and has helped me so so much.. dont know what i would have done without it really, but would love to actually meet another emet..... i suppose i might have at one point but most people wouldnt talk about it freely so i wud never have known! Where about in UK do u like Helen? We're around same age so would be good to chat.. Im Stockport.

Regarding those tablets you can get which stops nausea even if you have a bug etc... what are they?? I need to get some lol

Feeling so so sick tonight, but when i get my mind off it, it goes... but when i think about it, it comes back - which tells me its anxiety cos im worrying about work tomorrow! But those tablets would come in handy right now lol xx

Angelai
01-09-10, 23:55
What are these tablets we can get???? I neeeeeeeed some please!

Sorry to hear so many others are suffering with this evil phobia.

HelenLouise
02-09-10, 20:21
They're called Buccastem tablets. They are for the relief of nausea and sickness associated with migranes but the NHS direct people suggest them for people who have noro virus.

Fairyclairy - i'm from Merry Hill (It's near birmingam way kinda) but I spend half my time in London haha!
Would be awesome to meet another Emet.

I'm sure its just anxiety making you feel sick - it always does me when I worry :) xxx

LowrieT
02-09-10, 20:54
I too, suffer from this dreadful phobia. I have suffered for 55 yrs. It has got easier I think but if the dreaded sickness bug is going around I still avoid people. I managed to catch it this winter though but somehow my OH didn't. I don't fly, go on a boat, bus and definately watch what I eat. I never got pregnant. In all it has ruined my life.

:hugs:

fairyclairy
02-09-10, 22:18
Thanks for the tablet info Helen, i bought some Motilluim 10 today, which does the same thing... helps with nausea and also prevents vomitting by blocking the signals in the stomach which tells the stomach to throw up. Also helps with bloating, fullness etc which i get from IBS... not tried one yet but hopefully when im feeling sick, itl help.

LowrieT - So sorry this horrible phobia has had such an impact on your life. Have you had any treatment/medication for it over the years to help?

xx

lell
04-09-10, 22:32
i also suffer from emetophobia and have all my life, its a horrible phobia and i HATE it, its very life controlling at times :/
this is my story with living with emetophobia..... http://hubpages.com/hub/Emetophobia-my-experience