PDA

View Full Version : Inositol..5HTP advice please

paullong
28-07-09, 17:16
After deciding to boot ssri's am going down this route and just got my first batch of both. Just wondering whens best to take em etc. Any info greatly appreciated...cheers in advance
Paulx

nickieb
28-07-09, 19:29
I take 100mg of 5htp in the morning & the same as i get into bed. They are fabulous & have helped me so much.
They reduce headaches, & anxiety & aid sleep!

Be careful what you are taking thought, u cannot mix alot with 5-htp. Do u mean vitamin B? If so i take both x

NoPoet
31-07-09, 12:16
Agreed with Nickib about not mixing the 5-htp with much; be careful.

Inositol has helped me more than any medication or supplement. I took 2 with my breakfast, 2 with my lunch and 2 either in the evening after dinner or just before bed. The difference was, let's say, dramatic. It works similarly to SSRIs without the negative effects. If you did not respond to SSRIs inositol may not be much help; if you booted SSRIs for any other reason, inositol should be perfect for you.

freudian nightmare
31-07-09, 17:19
Hello,
Sorry to steal pauls thunder but where can i get inositol from, i just asked about it in my local health shop and was told it's just vit b. Is that right or am i able to get it from somewhere elsr cos it sounds like something i could benefit from. Best wishes with your try of inositol paul, i hope it works for you i don't really want to take ssri's either so let us know how you get on. Tc x

NoPoet
31-07-09, 22:21
No it is NOT just vit b. Whoever told you that needs to be whipped. Fair enough it's categorised as vitamin B-8 but that's like saying a Dodge Viper is just a horseless carriage: technically true if you boil it down to its most imbecilic and child-like level!

Inositol is a substance that appears in your spinal fluid. Levels of inositol are reduced in people suffering from depression and other similar problems. Medical trials have proven that taking very large quantities of inositol "force" the inositol into your brain where it has a positive impact on emotional and some types of mental distress. Trials show it is as effective as modern SSRIs without any of the drawbacks. It works in three weeks or less, sometimes in a matter of days, and it works at low doses.

Taking "ordinary" B-vitamins will not have anywhere near as much effect as taking inositol, unless your body is deficient in those particular vitamins.

You can buy it from Holland and Barretts (or order it from them online if you can't leave your house or don't have a local H&B store). Tablets are 650mg each. Medical doses are 12-18g but you probably shouldn't take that much without guidance. I took around 3g per day and noticed minor improvements by day 2 and very strong improvements by day 4.

You can buy powder form if you want to take high doses but it is very expensive.

mapmaker
01-08-09, 06:15
How much did Inositol cost you PsychoPoet. and where did you buy it? You've got me thinking I might want to try it out.

bolton78
14-08-09, 01:09
i bought mine from holland and barretts,£8.99 for 100 tablets.first day on them today,so cant really comment on them,ive taken 3 today,first thing when i woke up then dinnertime then supper time

naturalhealth
17-08-09, 21:49
Yes, Inositol is a B vitamin, and is found in B-Complex, but if you are needing to supplement with it, then you probably need more of it than you can get in just a general B-Complex supplement. People with depression need a separate Inositol (http://www.seacoastvitamins.com/topic.php?health=inositol) supplement in order to really get the amount they need and to really see any benefits from it. If you're having a difficult time finding it, look online. I get all of my supplements online now because I get much better deals this way.

Cat80
20-08-09, 11:10
I've tried 5HTP with no effect plus I decided against taking it after reading that it can be dangerous to take (only found this out after doing some research online into 5HTP).

What exactly does Inositol do? Does it help anxiety? I take B12 vitamins which on the pack says essential for mental health and performance. I got these from Holland and Barretts but can't say I feel any better from taking them yet. Been taking 1000ug for 2 weeks now.

Panic33
20-08-09, 22:17
Sorry about multiple questions, but:
How much 5-HTP is safe? 100mg morning and 100mg night?Do you need to reduce the amount if combining with Inositol?
Can get 100 Caplets 650mg for £8.99 are they worth trying with 5-HTP? And what shouldn't you mix with 5-HTP, is valerian root and omega3 safe?

NoPoet
20-08-09, 22:46
5-HTP should NOT EVER be combined with drugs that affect serotonin (such as SSRIs) due to a supposed (but not scientifically established) risk of suffering from serotonin syndrome - which in severe cases can be fatal.

The Americans have been prescribing 5-HTP for many years but nobody really has a full list of drug interactions for 5-HTP, so nobody knows for sure what you can and can't take it with.

However 5-HTP does seem to be effective when used alongside inositol. If you are using 5-HTP and a high dose of inositol, you may not need to use antidepressants.

Cat80
21-08-09, 10:42
Would it be better taking just the Inositol from Holland and Barretts or the B Complex as this has 250mg of Inositol in each capsule but it also has Ch oline which you are supposed to take to help the Inositiol absorb (getting this from research I've done looking around on the internet). Going to buy some this weekend but not sure which one I should be buying

NoPoet
21-08-09, 12:03
If you want to take inositol, take pure inositol, as the higher doses are better.

Most inositol supplements are there to combat an ordinary, everyday deficiency of inositol, which apparently is quite rare for people who are not depressed or suffering from a related disorder.

Therefore the inositol contained in your ordinary, daily diet plus any that might be found in multi-supplements will probably not be enough to combat depression or panic attacks.

You can still buy the other stuff you want to take but when it comes to inositol you will need relatively high doses.

Cat80
21-08-09, 13:54
Thanks psychopoet for the advice.

Will the Holland and Barrett 650mg tablets work enough, it's 2 a day you take? Not sure if that strength would be strong enough, want to get it right before buying it. Thanks again

Panic33
21-08-09, 19:32
Ive bought the Holland and Barrett 650mg Inositol and 50mg 5HTP, I'm planning on 3 inositol a day (spread with meals) but really unsure about dosages for 5htp. I have seen some sites say max is 600mg per day, some 100mg per day. I was thinking of 100mg morn and 100mg evening. Any advice?

Cat80
22-08-09, 17:29
I today bought the Holland and Barrett 650mg Inositol. It says to take one to three a day. When if at all should I start noticing a difference? Not holding out much hope but worth giving a try if SSRI's aren't helping the anxiety

NoPoet
22-08-09, 19:14
As far as I am aware, the instructions on the label are for a supplementary dose in the rare case that you are suffering from a natural inositol deficiency e.g. through a poor diet. (This is just my opinion and is not a medical fact.)

I don't see the harm in starting with three a day. I took four on my first day, then moved up to 6 a day. I am back on 6 a day after a large spell without taking inositol at all.

I notice benefits pretty much on day 1 and they become more obvious after a few days. I notice that I sleep for hours longer due to feeling more relaxed. I don't suffer from morning anxiety quite so much and I become more motivated and feel empowered as my anxiety and stress levels begin to fall. I've spent the last 5 days running around getting stuff done and taking great enjoyment in my hobbies, and I have taken positive steps to cut an unhappy disruption out of my life.

It can take up to 3 weeks for inositol to show its full benefits.

The medically thereapeutic dose for anxiety, depression and panic attacks is 12g per day.

The medically therapeutic dose for OCD is 18g per day.

Lower doses should help with any of these conditions. I wouldn't take doses that high without medical advice, but inositol is thought to be safe in high doses.

Cat80
23-08-09, 12:42
Thanks for the advice. I will take the 3 a day as says on the tub and see if I notice any difference. Fingers crossed I will as I don't want to have to go back on the dreaded SSRI's, tried about 5 of them and all made me worse rather than better

maeanna
30-08-09, 23:17
Hiya Ive been taking 3 650mg Inositol a day in the morning for the past 2 days and have noticed a difference in my anxiety subsiding already! I tried 5 HTP but found i had a headache and felt like i was drunk! So im sticking with Inositol! I just hope Holland and Barrett out them in their sales!

Cat80
01-09-09, 12:14
Must say that I have noticed they are making me feel very sick, is this normal?

maeanna
03-09-09, 11:09
5 HTP made me feel sick so i took travel sick tablets and motilium 10 to combat that and then stopped taking the 5htp and took Inositol which has no side effects and is working better for me!