PDA

View Full Version : New Here - Extremely Anxious about Heart Rate

spiroll
29-07-09, 08:59
Okay, I've been through this before but I can't seem to remember that when it's happening. I'm having a panic attack (which seems to have been going on all day!) and it is also the day that my period is due. (PMS week is always bad for me, but the day of is the worst...anxiety just lightens dramatically when I finally get it.)

ANYWAY...so I'm sitting here for the past six hours panicking really badly because my heart rate is in the 80s and I've taken xanax, and it hasn't helped.

My doctor wants me to try a beta blocker and I've had the prescription for three weeks and haven't been able to work up the nerve to take it - terrified of what it will do to me. It's atenolol.

Can anyone else relate?

I feel so alone and I'm so tired of panicking today, and I just want to feel better. :(

Thank you
Lisa

LisaLisa
29-07-09, 10:48
Hey Lisa

I was where you are yesterday and it was horrid. I too am very affected by hormones, its sheer hell.

But it does pass and if you are anything like me, the feeling of the anxiety lifting is so releiveing.

I think your heart is just responding to your anxiety and sometimes it is possible to have such anxiety that even diazepam and propanol doesnt have a proper effect becuae you are fighting against its action. One of my friends can vouch for this experience with her absolute terror about a dentist appointment last week - she took 5 tablets and they still couldnt do the work on her mouth, she has to rebook another appointment!

I also dont think that tthe heart rate that you mention is abnormal at all. Thats normal resting for a lot of folks hearts

Your okay dear

Lisa
xxxxx:hugs:

LisaLisa
29-07-09, 10:50
just to say

Diazepam is the same as xanax and also propanol is a betablocker too

Lisa
xxx

pammy1944
29-07-09, 11:42
when i'm in that state i scrub the kitchen floor

spiroll
29-07-09, 13:01
I really appreciate your replies. It makes me feel not so alone. I know I've felt like this before and that it passes and yes, when I feel the anxiety lifting it's such a relief...however, I seem to forget that when it's actually happening. I just want to hug you girls for reassuring me of what I already knew. Hugs all around.

countrygirl
29-07-09, 19:04
A heart rate of 80 is normal resting heart rate so you have no need to worry at all. When I am anxious in a medical setting mine can get up to 140!!!!!!!!!
Yet my resting heart rate is around 70bpm
My GP said only thing I can try is a beta blocker but as I had asthma as a child its very risky. She did say to try diazepan before I have to have anything medical but I know from experience I would need such a whacking big dose to keep my heart rate down I wouldn't be able to stand up:D

peacemaker
30-07-09, 18:43
my heart rate now, and I am resting and happy to read what you are writing my friends, is 88, the docs say it is normal, and nothing is wrong with me!

having a panic attack will raise it to over 100, no need to worry my friend as this is normal, anxiety, stress and panic attacks can change your heart rate (maybe you are having those strange beats too) , but from what you are saying, I don't think it's dangerous