PDA

View Full Version : Life after Citalopram

goodwiththebad
30-07-09, 11:41
Hi, all. I'm very new to this site so I hope this post is in the correct section.
My story/question is long and complicated but I'll try to keep it as brief as possible.
I spent about 10 years of my life depressed and anxious until one day I decided to do something about it, that was 8 years ago and things are better than ever. However, the same cannot be currently be said about my girlfriend. I met her about 8 months ago and as corny as it sounds it was love at first sight and as we began to learn about each other one of the things I discovered was that she'd had depression and anxiety problems and was taking Citalopram (30mg for about 18 months). As I have been through a lot of this myself I helped her talk through things and she is now into self-improvement books and psychology to solve her problems and she became so happy and optimistic after meeting me that with the guidance of her doctor she reduced her dose and as of about 3 weeks ago stopped altogether.
Unfortunately things aren't going too well now. She is extremely anxious, has started having panic attacks, is angry, moody and cries all the time.
Each time she reduced her dose she had these feelings for a couple of weeks but nothing like they are now. We don't live together but but because of how she feels she doesn't want to see me at the moment yet still texts or phones every day. But I still miss being with her.
My question is: Which is most likely - that the 18 months of taking the medication did nothing to help her, or, all of this is withdrawal from the medication and will pass in a couple of weeks?

Any comments welcomed and thanks in advance.

Panikki
30-07-09, 15:58
Hi,
Sometimes its hard to tell when you come off AD'S if your symptoms are just prolonged withdrawal symptoms or if your anxiety/depression is returning.
For me personally i had a very bad time coming off AD's ...even though i took it really slow ...had been on AD's for approx 4 yrs for panic and anxiety had been feeling well for very long time before deciding to come off meds...every time i dropped the meds i felt really unwell with nearly every withdrawal symptom to the max..when i finally got off completely i was emotional wreck and had more probs than ever before going on meds....now a doctor will always say ..its your anxiety returning go back on meds ..but i beg to differ ..your girlfriend may take longer to adjust to life without meds so hang in there and be patient ..How did you turn your life around 8yrs ago to get over your anxiety and depression...was it through meds or natural route of healthy balance lifestyle ..Just bear in mind each of us is individual and what works for some wont for others ....some people stay on meds for as long as to stay well... others can manage sucessfully making other life changes ...if things get bad for your g/f maybe she should go back to her G.P. for advice..but i have come across many people who have a bit of a meltdown when coming off meds but i cant really say thats the case here as i'm no expert!!Good luck anyway Jodiex

Flying Badger
21-08-09, 00:50
I've quite recently stopped taking Citalopram. It was not through choice, I hasten to add - my GP decided to stop prescribing anything for me, but that's another story.

I'd been on 40mg/day for the past 4 years or so (I forget exactly how long), and I stopped taking them about 2 months ago. Since then, I've had withdrawal problems with varying degrees of severity.

To begin with, my anxiety returned with a vengence. I had probably the worst panic attacks since I started having them 6 years ago, and has included a visit to casualty, and being tended to by an ambulance at a tram stop. I was also extremely moody, and, like your girlfriend, felt very angry and irritable all the time, with no reason to do so.

Things are not quite as bad now. My mood has steaded out quite markedly, and although the anxiety is still more prevelent than it was whilst taking citalopram, the full-blown panic attacks are getting less intense, and less frequent now.

As has been said, everyone is different. But, in my experience, things did improve gradually. My plan is to see how I get on for at least another two months before going to a different GP, and possibly talking about going back on meds.

Hope this helps.

Gary