PDA

View Full Version : Are GPs qualified in mental health?

Gregor
30-07-09, 19:18
I'm having trouble at the moment re-claiming Incapacity Benefit (or ESA as it's now called). I had a struggle to get them to agree to award the benefit to me. Now, they are demanding a medical certificate. I understand that, but it's just not so easy for me to get to my GP to get one. I can't get downstairs on my own with my anxiety. Therefore i can't just get up and go.

Today, i finally managed to arrange for someone to come and help me. However, when i called to make an appointment, they were closed (just one half day closed per week). Now, i'm not sure when i'll be able to make the same arrangements.

Anyway, i've recovered from my initial anger, etc. My question is this.. why do the DSS place so much emphasis on a medical certificate from my GP? The way i see it, GPs are not qualified to make an assertion on my mental health (ie, they are not qualified in psychology/psychiatry, etc). So, if my GP writes out a medical certificate, that shouldn't mean anything to the DSS - in fact they would be as well accepting a note from me to sign me off! in fact, it's almost fraud isn't it - if a GP tries to diagnose something to which they're not qualified.

Anyway, i've finished my rambling now! maybe all i've said is wrong, but that's my thoughts for the day!

Gregor

paullong
30-07-09, 19:25
Hi mate...
Youll also find that in a short while the job center will call you in and explain that you have to have a 'private' medical with their doctor who will assess youre ability to work. His/her decision will then make the difference between fit for work and reverting to job seekers allowance or unfit and staying on ESA in which case youre own doctor will become defunct and you wont have to get any more notes from for 6 months i believe when you will be reassessed. Am at that stage myself. Hope this helps
Paul

ladybird64
30-07-09, 20:46
I'm having trouble at the moment re-claiming Incapacity Benefit (or ESA as it's now called). I had a struggle to get them to agree to award the benefit to me. Now, they are demanding a medical certificate. I understand that, but it's just not so easy for me to get to my GP to get one. I can't get downstairs on my own with my anxiety. Therefore i can't just get up and go.

Today, i finally managed to arrange for someone to come and help me. However, when i called to make an appointment, they were closed (just one half day closed per week). Now, i'm not sure when i'll be able to make the same arrangements.

Anyway, i've recovered from my initial anger, etc. My question is this.. why do the DSS place so much emphasis on a medical certificate from my GP? The way i see it, GPs are not qualified to make an assertion on my mental health (ie, they are not qualified in psychology/psychiatry, etc). So, if my GP writes out a medical certificate, that shouldn't mean anything to the DSS - in fact they would be as well accepting a note from me to sign me off! in fact, it's almost fraud isn't it - if a GP tries to diagnose something to which they're not qualified.

Anyway, i've finished my rambling now! maybe all i've said is wrong, but that's my thoughts for the day!

Gregor

Hi Gregor

I just had to reply to this as I have been going through something very similar.
I have made a claim for ESA on behalf of my daughter who has a disability which means that she is unable to work, I have had the same nonsensical demands for a medical certificate from our GP.
After ascertaining over the phone that they actually wanted a "sick certificate", I made an official complaint to their customer services. I pointed out that she wasn't sick, she was disabled and to try and obtain a sick certificate was fraudulent. I also mentioned that it was discriminatory.
I had offered to get a letter stating her condition and why she was unable to work but they wanted the sick certificate.
They didn't get the certificate but after my complaint I did receive a very thorough letter saying that my point was valid and under section something or other of the wotchamacallit act..I did not need to provide a sick certificate, just a letter from whoever I felt knew my daughters condition best, in her case, her consultant at hospital. :yesyes:
If you feel up to the challenge, phone them up and demand to know why you cannot provide a letter from another professional that sees you/or is aware of your mental health problems..ask them to provide written proof that you need a sick certificate from your GP in place of "medical evidence" from an expert.
They won't be able to because no such proof actually exists, although they will try and convince you that it does.

Good luck :flowers:

paullong
30-07-09, 21:54
some great advice ladybird! Aint it hard enough battling to get well without having to battle to prove it! Ignorant gits!