PDA

View Full Version : Throat Gland - Still Worried

BKF1515
30-07-09, 23:28
I've had a gland in my throat - left side under my jawbone/chin - which has been swollen and achy for about four months now (that I've noticed--it might have started earlier). It is sort of swollen in an oblong way, about the size of a squishy almond, somewhat hard but not as hard as a stone.

I went to the doctor about 6 weeks ago and she told me not to worry - that I had had dental work (braces/brackets) put in around the time it started so it was probably that. Also that glands well up and down all the time for all sorts of reasons - that I should not obsess over it. About 2 weeks later I called and doublechecked and she told me only to get back to her again if it increased in size or pain, which I don't think it has. But the swelling has not gone down and the vague ache I have in that area also remains. It does not hurt to the touch but the area can ache on and off.

Should I worry? I wish I could put this behind me as I have been really concerned for months now. If anyone has any knowledge or experience in the glands area, I would really appreciate hearing from you!

tiredOfOcd
31-07-09, 00:45
Stop touching it. It is possible to irritate tissues so they won't reduce back to normal size. In my self treatment of a minor hip sprain, I irritated the skin so it formed a thickened mass that had to be removed.

I literally sweat blood thru its discovery, referrals to a surgeon, everyone's inability to determine what it was and ultimate removal and, since they do this with everything they take out of you, lab analysis.

The official diagnosis? "An 2.5cm pocket of thickened skin"

Stop touching it. If your dr says its ok, then its ok.

LisaLisa
31-07-09, 12:30
I have gland like this, been there for over three years that I know of. My freind has one eve bigger in same place same length of time. My other friend has two on one side and another big one ion another part of her neck on the other side for at least two years.....

Loads of folk have this, its just our bodies normal state.....forget it doc has told you unless it gets blahblah blah but what thta means is forget about it...try to take away the emphasis that you have to check this thing to see if it is changing, the chances are that it has been there for years since a virus or something when you were a kid and all the touching has made it ache, the ache could be very well be muscle ache in your jaw from tension ( do you find that you are clenching your jaw/teeth especially when concerntrating or worrying?) and then you have found this gland and prodded it and think that
made the ache to begin with..... when it didnt!!

Lisa
xxxx:hugs:

Kenny
16-08-09, 14:03
Many years ago after my first marrage broke down i went to the doctor with what i thought was a sore throat, he gave me some antibiotics which didn't work, my throat was still sore and the glands in the side of my face were sore which went up to my ears he asked me if i was married so i told him my tale of woe, it turned out i was suffering from nerves so he gave me some valium type pills which helped but you cant stay on pills forever so every now and then i get the same symptoms, i went to the doc last week (another doc) with a sore throat etc and he gave me antibiotics which don't work, i was told that once you have a anxiety or nervous problem it never quite leaves you and will recur even though i am a very happily married man again and have been for the last 26 years, i have found that doing some work which occupies my mind solves the problem:)

meg86
17-08-09, 09:21
Hello!

I have a gland that sounds exactly like yours on my right side, i found it and freaked out big time over it! it was there for a few months before i went to the doctor, i then got myself so rundown with worry i got a cold and i notice lots and lots of little glands pea sized in my neck :(

I was scared to death so went to my doctor on Saturday who confirmed that he can feel my glands but they are not pathalogically enlarged and they are nothing to worry about :)

I also asked him if i could be recommended for CBT, anxiety is usually the route to all these problems, i was feeling my boyfriends neck and could feel some glands but he had never noticed because he doesnt worry about them.

If your doctor reassured you you are fine then try not to worry :) xx

Mogwog
17-08-09, 09:31
I had a gland in my armpit that I was completely obsessed with a few yrs ago. It felt big to me much bigger than the one on the other side, so I went to the docs and she checked and said it was fine etc. but that didnt stop me I poked and prodded endlessly until I made it so painful that I was convinced something was wrong and I went back to the doc absolutely hysterical and she refused to check it for me "for my own good" - I felt awful - like I was going to die right there and then, eventually with the help from my very supportive husband I managed to stop poking it an although it never decreased in size, the pain went away. Its still the same size to this day.

L.XXX

BKF1515
17-08-09, 10:00
Thank you, thank you, thank you for all of your replies. I am glad to say that for a few weeks now I have not checked or even felt the gland. I have stepped away from it. I do think about it from time to time and sometimes think I feel an ache coming from that direction, but all of your replies and searching this forum convinced me that this is a situation within the realm of 'normal'. I could not have gotten through w/o this forum. Thank you again! :)