PDA

View Full Version : The "Flutter"

Shay1213
28-09-05, 23:01
Can anyone best explain the fluttering sensation in the center of my chest? I've learned to not let them bother me, and I've been doing alright with it. But I'm just curious...I had an EKG and the only thing the Doc had noticed was my fast heart beat (Due to anxiety I believe) But that was all she brought up...I'm sure if I had any other problems she would have brought it to my attention. But does anyone have this expierence but with a docs input? I can't quite figure it out...Some days are worse then others...But what exactly is causing it? Sorry for the ramble...Thanks for listening :)

~Shannon~

rois
28-09-05, 23:23
Hi shay, I don't know what causes it but I get it sometimes too. I'm sure it's nothing to worry about (though it feels like it is at the time), if your doc was worried she would've said something, they aren't allowed to keep those things to themselves. Hope you feel better soon, if I find out what causes it I'll let you know, rois

"You die if you worry and you die if you don't"

mum2four
28-09-05, 23:24
The fluttering feeling are part of anxiety if not due to a heart problem and since you had a EKG I'm sure it was anxiety related.

I often get this feeling it is one of my first noticable symptom's that I have. Personal experiance has may me realise that the more attenstion i give to it the worse it get's or the loger is bother's me for.

Try to distract your self anyway you can. I often go for a gentle walk or listen to music and sign along with it so my focus is on the music the louder it is the better i feel casue thumping music tend to vibrate threw me so I can nologer tell what the music is doing and what my heart is doing. I hope that make sence to you.

I'm sure the Dr would have told you if there was anything to be concerned about so try to relax and find away to ignore it as best you can.

I hope i helped.

Shay1213
28-09-05, 23:32
Your comments are a big help. The thing that concerned me is that I have been dealing with anxiety very well...I have had an actual PA in a couple of days, and after having one everynight for 2 or 3 months straight its a good thing. Even when I'm feeling fine mentally, and doing my thing I feel them...that was why I felt concerened...If I don't seem to be experiencing any anxiety...why am i feeling this symptom? I wont allow it for me to be thrown into an attack. I have another appt tomorrow with the doc, so hopefully my blood results will be good, and she and i can talk a bit more.

~Shannon~

mum2four
28-09-05, 23:50
I cant really fully answer that question I havn't had a full blown panic attack in many year's but one of the first sign's that my anxiety is rising is the fluttering feeling I will often hit my chest and tell my self to stop being silly lol:D

The only thing I can figue is that it's more noticable now that I'm not dealing with the other bigger symptom's and/or it's my body's way of telling me to change my thinking in some way I dont realise I'm thinking badly but we have automatic thought's that must still have some sort of control over me and i need to find a way to deal the automatic thought's.

Talking to a Dr to rule out other reason for it is alway a good start but in the mean time you could still try to find way's to calm your self. I use to have the feeling all day every day for fue years but now I only get if after dealing with a negative situation my biggest trigger is friend's and family proberly cause I know I have to or want to see them again. I so get it if I sleep during the day. or go back to sleep after waking in the morning when the sun has already started to rise or when I I have a very disruptive sleep like when my kids kieep waking me every 10 min in morning's(which thay longer do thank goodness).:D

When it's the result sleeping a nice cup of tea or fruit juice and a healthy snack (i like banana's cause thay have the best source of vitamin's in them) and sitting for a while really have the best result for me.

I hope you feel better soon.

lin
02-10-05, 12:38
Hi Shay

What you are feeling is part of anxiety i had it alot try not to worry to much it could make it worse. I now have ectopic heartbeats but lately i haven't had many. There are a few of us on here with this problem so you are not on your own.

take care
linda xx

manyana
24-06-06, 22:21
hi
i too get the ectopic heartbeats - they feel like a flutter in the chest and then either a big or small thud - they started after i had some panic attacks and anxiety - the attacks stopped but the ectopics stayed - had them for 8 months now - they come and go as they please - some good days some bad days - the docs say they are not dangerous and try and ignore them - hmmm not easy!!
take care
lynne
x

Munchkin
26-06-06, 11:43
hi Shannon,

i've had these aswell, and like you i had a ECG and blood tests done. There was nothing wrong on any of my tests, but like you, the only thing my doctor mentioned was that my heartbeat on the ECG was fast (again due to anxiety at the time of having the test done).

I also do get them when i'm not anxious, and this too has puzzled me. But I am convinced it is down to anxiety even when I don't realise i'm anxious. The human mind is a clever thing and sometimes i'm sure it can be worrying away in the background even when we're not fully aware of it!

"A Journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step"